Rams vs Swansea Matchday Thread

Bwash_Ram

10 hours ago, Yani P said:

Was impressed with the generous applause at HT..was far from a good performance but the fans fully appreciate the task at hand....its a long old season..

I'd say its an excellent performance by the defensive unit to concede so much possession to the opposition but limit them to a single shot on target.

We all want goals but its important to appreciate your defence as well.

9 hours ago, DavesaRam said:

I thought his yellow was for a deliberate handball after Max had given him an awkward pass. I could be wrong - it has been known!

Ooooo you might be right … (I also can be wrong) .. yes .. ahem cough cough .. you are right - apologies.  he just gave a foul against Fozzie in my “incident” … I was somewhat over excited at the time, I might have called him a few names as well .. shame on me 

Pass me some humble pie ?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'd say its an excellent performance by the defensive unit to concede so much possession to the opposition but limit them to a single shot on target.

We all want goals but its important to appreciate your defence as well.

It was all the more impressive when you realise the changes to the defence during the match. First we lost Stearman, forcing Fozzy to have to move to cb and Buchanan to come on at lb. Then a further change to 3/5 at the back, with the impressive young Williams coming in.

We weren't as bad as some make out. I had been slightly concerned that we'd need to put in another really big shift and I did actually think we looked pretty leggy yesterday. Swansea were also a lot better than I'd expected them to be, but fortunately, they too lack cutting edge in the final third. For all their possession, they could have lost the game too. 

Some time to freshen up players now and get another couple of weeks' work into Bielik, CKR and even Festy and Knight who will still be rusty and shot of match sharpness. I think we miss Jags too to be honest. I'm still more than hopeful.

COYR

Edited by 86 Hair Islands

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

We weren't as bad as some make out. I had been slightly concerned that we'd need to put in another really big shift and I did actually think we looked pretty leggy yesterday. Swansea were also a lot better than I'd expected them to be, but fortunately, they too lack cutting edge in the final third. For all their possession, they could have lost the game too. 

Some time to freshen up players now and get another couple of weeks' work into Bielik, CKR and even Festy and Knight who will still be rusty and shot of match sharpness. I think we miss Jags too to be honest. I'm still more than hopeful.

COYR

I agree. We were off our game and there was a little more in the way of sloppy defending than usual but, Swansea looked a decent team.

I suspect yesterday’s game was fairly typical of their season (although I’ve seen that much of them). Dominated possession, plenty of good football, passing and moving the ball around but, didn’t create enough clear cut chances and when they did, they couldn’t finish them.

Some people think we’re a goal scorer off being a good side. Based on yesterday’s game (in isolation admittedly), I’d say Swansea are a goal scorer off being a very good team challenging for the play offs again.

22 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree. We were off our game and there was a little more in the way of sloppy defending than usual but, Swansea looked a decent team.

I suspect yesterday’s game was fairly typical of their season (although I’ve seen that much of them). Dominated possession, plenty of good football, passing and moving the ball around but, didn’t create enough clear cut chances and when they did, they couldn’t finish them.

Some people think we’re a goal scorer off being a good side. Based on yesterday’s game (in isolation admittedly), I’d say Swansea are a goal scorer off being a very good team challenging for the play offs again.

750 passes in the match to get nowhere in reality caused by a defence playing it's socks off and their inability to play a decent ball in the final quarter that stayed in play

When I looked at these 6 fixtures, during the last international break, I hoped we’d get 4 points (and this was before we were put into administration)

looking back now, we won 8 points - 2W 2L 2D 

what a brilliant achievement by the Wayne, Liam and the boys. Battling displays, total commitment, amazing support from the fans and as a certain book was called .. there was some football too.

we know how to defend - haven’t missed Matt Clarke for a second. 
Shinzano Bianco and Maximus Bird are solid, dogged and occasionally some lovely forward from passes (from both!) 

ravel some lovely touches and talent .. a break will do him good. 
tom - looking better than previous still A touch frustrating but definite improvement and works his socks off

knighty - he’s getting back to his best 

joz/Sibley - we could really do with these boys getting involved in games more and scaring teams rather than working hard and tracking back (still an important job but would love to see them on the front foot more)

Baldrick - works hard and creates space - would be a good sub or would like to see him in a front two 

Jack - this season will be so valuable for his development -

om confident we will reap the rewards for this in later seasons trouble is we need someone now!!!

if we can maintain this type of form and CKR and Then bielik are introduced  … we could be looking at a good team.

Importantly we would have decent options on the bench for in game management and squad rotation to manage fitness. 

-

shout out to stearman who has pleasantly surprised me and to allsop - after a few cup wobbles he’s looked .. good! 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Might do better with some more experienced heads up front with him.

Maybe so. But it is an area of his game that has stayed the same since we signed him. Jerome, Nugent, Martin, CKR, Rooney, none of them seemed to change his approach.

He is of the age where he needs to be that experienced head in this young team.

Swansea are probably the most possession-based team in the Championship but that alone doesn't automatically equate to goals and winning matches. However it does mean that they make the opposition do a lot of chasing and closing down. In their previous match, they had +60% possession but were beaten because in Mitrovic Fulham had a quality striker who put the chances away - something we are seriously lacking.

First half in particular we struggled to get near them. Our poorest player was Morrison but without the ball he was always going to be our biggest liability from a defensive point of view but to say that there was a lack of effort is absolutely ridiculous - if anything, I would suggest the opposite.

7 hours ago, jono said:

Ooooo you might be right … (I also can be wrong) .. yes .. ahem cough cough .. you are right - apologies.  he just gave a foul against Fozzie in my “incident” … I was somewhat over excited at the time, I might have called him a few names as well .. shame on me 

Pass me some humble pie ?

Sorry mate, I’ve eaten it all. 

Nom nom nom!