My admiration for Rooney has shot up

Bob The Badger

45 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

He didn’t manage to keep us up. A Cardiff player did that plus Rotherham’s inability to capitalise on our appalling record. It was sheer luck we stayed up and nothing more.

We didn't get any more points because it was the last game of the season, we still got one.

And Rotherham didn't get any less because they conceded with two minutes to go, they still got one too.

It's utterly absurd to say we stayed up because of one piece of luck when there will have been times when bad luck cost us points throughout the season just like it did Rotherham.

We stayed up, Rooney was in charge, ipso facto, Rooney kept us up. Argument over.

We got very lucky last season on and off the pitch, it was only a points deduction for Sheff Wednesday and two very poor sides in Rotherham and Wycombe that kept us up and I don't think going 7 games in a row at the end of the season without a win is cause for congratulations. However he's won me over massively this season working with pretty much bugger all, no communication from those above him. How like the original poster I've been very impressed with him this season, the way the team is performing in the circumstances, the way he conducts himself in the media etc... 

I will add if we get relegated I'm far from convinced he'll be the man for the turnaround and that is purely on the basis that he'll be working with players from lower leagues.... how well does he know from a scouting perspective the lower levels of English football?

19 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

We didn't get any more points because it was the last game of the season, we still got one.

And Rotherham didn't get any less because they conceded with two minutes to go, they still got one too.

It's utterly absurd to say we stayed up because of one piece of luck when there will have been times when bad luck cost us points throughout the season just like it did Rotherham.

We stayed up, Rooney was in charge, ipso facto, Rooney kept us up. Argument over.

We stayed up despite his awful record but does it matter now? I think he is doing ok so far this season, 2 very good results. Just hope there is a team left to manage…

10 minutes ago, DCFCJim87 said:

I will add if we get relegated I'm far from convinced he'll be the man for the turnaround and that is purely on the basis that he'll be working with players from lower leagues.... how well does he know from a scouting perspective the lower levels of English football?

Well lets see, Ipswich have signed George Edmundson, Tom Carroll and Sone Aluko - all who Rooney wanted. Byrne and Marshall were at Wigan. And so on. I think he's more likely to attractive a decent standard of player than many managers.

4 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

He has zero to do with the issues we now find ourselves in, but he has acted with utter class.

He's had no money and is playing a number of players he knows aren't good enough (at least at the moment) without a word of complaint publicly.

He's just got on with his job and tried to get this team playing decent football with one hand tied behind his back, wearing lead boots and being made to wear a balaclava the wrong way around.

And then he hears about going into administration on TV like the rest of us and rather than whining or walking out he gets on with his job.

I really like what I'm seeing, especially when you consider he's in his first year of management and the second youngest boss in the entire football league.

He should have control of this team if/when he has money to spend, or at the very least until the end of this season.

If he does walk or get pushed, I for one will be bitterly disappointed.

Well said !!

Even I must admit that I am starting to feel sorry for Rooney.

When the points deductions are finalised, he will be left to do a job that is way beyond his current skillset and level of experience, and he has seemingly been left in the dark and the cold by the very people who brought him to the club.

Let’s see what he can produce moving forward and let’s see where he is 12 months from now. I don’t see that he has done anything out of the ordinary so far.

Staying at the club, and contributing to the costs of away travel and such things will surely reflect well on him and of course build goodwill.

However, let’s not forget - he probably will have been consulted by his agent or PR team on the best steps to take.

Edited by Jourdan

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

When the points deductions are finalised, he will be left to do a job that is way beyond his current skillset and level of experience, and he has seemingly been left in the dark and the cold by the very people who brought him to the club.

Let’s see what he can produce moving forward and let’s see where he is 12 months from now. I don’t see that he has done anything out of the ordinary so far.

Staying at the club, and contributing to the costs of away travel and such things will surely reflect well on him and of course build goodwill.

However, let’s not forget - he probably will have been consulted by his agent or PR team on the best steps to take.

I think this is a tad cyncical as a slant given that the only awareness we have of him contributing to away costs is a forum insider passing it along. 

13 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Not sure you could find anyone with the 'skillset' and 'experience' that could potentially face the club. 

Worst case scenario we could be facing the highest points deduction the league has ever dished out. 

3 hours ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I am unsure about that, Rooney took over when Derby were third from bottom, he got us to fourth from bottom. I would say this season is more tricky with a thinner squad and other things going on but he is doing a solid job at present. Great leadership qualities shown. Unsure how much say a Rooney has had with transfers. Lots of question marks about how recruitment has been done at Derby 

Rooney took sole charge of the team before the Wycombe match, which is when you need to judge him. Before that he was part of a 4 man committee and playing for the team at the time.

Before the Wycombe game we were bottom and 6 points plus goal difference from safety, with points per game total of less than half, which mean't that we were on course for a grand total of 21 points, less than half of we got.

5 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

He has zero to do with the issues we now find ourselves in, but he has acted with utter class.

He's had no money and is playing a number of players he knows aren't good enough (at least at the moment) without a word of complaint publicly.

He's just got on with his job and tried to get this team playing decent football with one hand tied behind his back, wearing lead boots and being made to wear a balaclava the wrong way around.

And then he hears about going into administration on TV like the rest of us and rather than whining or walking out he gets on with his job.

I really like what I'm seeing, especially when you consider he's in his first year of management and the second youngest boss in the entire football league.

He should have control of this team if/when he has money to spend, or at the very least until the end of this season.

If he does walk or get pushed, I for one will be bitterly disappointed.

I doubt he can possibly stay in the long term but he’s shown himself as a real football man and a decent bloke beyond the human frailties that we all have. Many were questioning his tactical nous, but for me any failings have been down to either better or physically stronger opponents rather that a fundamental misreading of the game. One thing that is cast iron and completely priceless is that he has succeeded in getting his team to play for him. Not just to turn up and go through the motions, but to sweat blood for the cause. He has been helped by the return of the fans who have been noisier, more loyal, less moaning than I can ever remember, even at the height of Mac 1. Whatever the reasons he has galvanised some age hardened old pros and some young lads who with another manager could have been rudderless and overwhelmed. 

It is strange, he never comes across in interviews as anything other than an ex pro, lacking a little in words, schmooz and passion but not everyone is a “performer” in front of a microphone. He clearly knows how to transmit a message to the guys on the field of play. He’s done a cracking job with a lousy hand. Whatever happens in the future and regardless of his win stats he deserves a big well done for being, as they say in Derby .. Sound !  

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

That’s very magnanimous of you 

3 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It must be very sour inside your head. I feel sorry for you that you doubt every good intention and always look for 'an angle'.

Edited by RoyMac5

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

It must be very sour inside your head. I feel sorry for you that you doubt every good intention and always look for 'an angle'.

It is the life of a celebrity.

They have agents, they have management teams, they have advisors.

When you reach that status, your life is basically micro-managed to make sure you look good. Rooney only does what is best for Rooney, or at least that’s what his team will be thinking.

If he’s paying for away travel and accommodation out of the kindness of his heart, all credit to him.

But it wouldn’t really add up given his relationship with Mel and the board, would it?

12 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It is the life of a celebrity.

They have agents, they have management teams, they have advisors.

When you reach that status, your life is basically micro-managed to make sure you look good. Rooney only does what is best for Rooney, or at least that’s what his team will be thinking.

If he’s paying for away travel and accommodation out of the kindness of his heart, all credit to him.

But it wouldn’t really add up given his relationship with Mel and the board, would it?

Why? 

7 minutes ago, CBRammette said:

Why? 

Rooney had to find out the club was entering administration via Sky Sports News.

Does that suggest that Rooney has a good relationship with the higher ups, with open and ongoing lines of communication and actions that are supportive of the other?

Why would he willingly commit to spending thousands of pounds every few weeks to get Mel and the board out of a bind?

Everything points to their treatment of Rooney being so poor that there is not the goodwill or respect present that would compel Rooney to offer up some support.

5 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Rooney had to find out the club was entering administration via Sky Sports News.

Does that suggest that Rooney has a good relationship with the higher ups, with open and ongoing lines of communication and actions that are supportive of the other?

Why would he willingly commit to spending thousands of pounds every few weeks to get Mel and the board out of a bind?

Everything points to their treatment of Rooney being so poor that there is not the goodwill or respect present that would compel Rooney to offer up some support.

Maybe, just maybe, he stands at the shoulder of those he's recruited, those he's bought in from the academy, and those players he's inherited from Cocu?

In short, maybe he's stands with his team, rather than our owner.

3 minutes ago, Rev said:

Maybe, just maybe, he stands at the shoulder of those he's recruited, those he's bought in from the academy, and those players he's inherited from Cocu?

In short, maybe he's stands with his team, rather than our owner.

Maybe. Time will tell. Let’s hope so.