My admiration for Rooney has shot up

Bob The Badger

29 minutes ago, Rev said:

Maybe, just maybe, he stands at the shoulder of those he's recruited, those he's bought in from the academy, and those players he's inherited from Cocu?

In short, maybe he's stands with his team, rather than our owner.

He has played alongside most of these players at some point in his career.

As a player I don't believe he was someone who ever wanted to let his teammates down.  Right now that is the attitude we need. 

I don't believe he remotely did himself justice as a player last season, not too much better at management. But he strikes me now as man who wants to put that right. He is in the trenches with his players, seems to me they will fight for each other. They sure as hell have to because the man at the top has dropped them in the crap and ran.

Personally, I have decided that last season was not a true reflection of the managers, nor most of the players. They all could have done better. Whilst Mel slowly pulled the plug and checked out, Cocu and now Rooney have represented the club with honour and class. Rooney’s interview pre Stoke was a real sign of anger, care and dignity.

If we some how manage to stay up this season he done something similar to what brain clough done but I hope we get a decent owner or owners that will give roony some money that can set us up for following season if was not these pesky points dudction coming we could be looking at top 2 challenge.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

It is the life of a celebrity.

They have agents, they have management teams, they have advisors.

When you reach that status, your life is basically micro-managed to make sure you look good. Rooney only does what is best for Rooney, or at least that’s what his team will be thinking.

If he’s paying for away travel and accommodation out of the kindness of his heart, all credit to him.

But it wouldn’t really add up given his relationship with Mel and the board, would it?

Good Grief!!! You really are something else ....Mr Cynical...so Rooney does something really good and out of his own pocket and its PR related !!!!! Just hate it when something decent is turned into something else......Not everyone does things because PR management say so...not everyone who is famous follows what PR people say like brain dead lemmings............

If it was PR related it would've been much better publicised...or did his PR team say don't worry....someone will mention it on the DCFC Forum pmsl

9 hours ago, S8TY said:

Good Grief!!! You really are something else ....Mr Cynical...so Rooney does something really good and out of his own pocket and its PR related !!!!! Just hate it when something decent is turned into something else......Not everyone does things because PR management say so...not everyone who is famous follows what PR people say like brain dead lemmings............

If it was PR related it would've been much better publicised...or did his PR team say don't worry....someone will mention it on the DCFC Forum pmsl

There's a brilliant book by Ryan Holiday called Trust Me I'm Lying all about his time as a PR person - and a top one at that.

And you're right, whereas there can be subtle ways to use PR, for the most part they use a sledgehammer.

Nothing about this suggests it's a PR op, but ya know, when people have made up their mind about a person it's very tricky to change it because they'll always be searching for evidence to support their current belief.

The alternative is to say 'You know what, I was wrong' and a lot of people hate that because then they feel stupid. 

The reality is, that sticking to an opinion when there is contradictory evidence is what's really stupid.

From the Athletic article:

"Rooney is said to have been an impressive figurehead in the crisis to date. In the wake of the “admin bomb”, as one player put it, the manager was aiming to deliver updates to his squad on Tuesday ahead of a weekend trip to Sheffield United. The expectation from within the dressing room is that Rooney intends to ride out the storm.

“This doesn’t change anything with him,” says one well-placed source. “He said to the lads ahead of the Stoke game that he wasn’t going to leave them in the trenches. He said he’ll fight with them and stand up for them. He said he could’ve walked weeks ago but this is very important to him.”

In fairness to Rooney his staying despite everything and if it is true he is paying for away travel and accommodation says a lot about his desire to do the job in hand and loyalty to the club. It would have been easy for him to walk away after the administration and say 'enough is enough'. I'm not his biggest fan performance or results wise but all credit to him for this and he should be applauded for it. 

3 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

In fairness to Rooney his staying despite everything and if it is true he is paying for away travel and accommodation says a lot about his desire to do the job in hand and loyalty to the club. It would have been easy for him to walk away after the administration and say 'enough is enough'. I'm not his biggest fan performance or results wise but all credit to him for this and he should be applauded for it. 

Trouble is I don’t want to be let down again, one of our own has abandoned us and we are pinning hopes on a new guy with no affiliation to us.  Long may it continue but I wouldn’t be disappointed in him if something better came along