Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

On 08/07/2022 at 22:47, Eddie said:

What is this 'Holiday' thing that people do?

We had to cancel our last 5 (three for Covid restrictions and two more recently because The Memsahib was just too ill to travel).

A few days ago, I started looking for short breaks over the next couple of weeks, but now she has gone down with the worst cold/chest infection/cough either of us can remember. It started last Sunday and has worsened considerably since then.

Negative Covid tests (the most recent half an hour ago), but she has all the classic symptoms. As for me - 100% right as rain.

I've only just read this, Eddie.

I hope the Memsahib is feeling much better now. Look after yourselves.

On 08/07/2022 at 22:47, Eddie said:

What is this 'Holiday' thing that people do?

We had to cancel our last 5 (three for Covid restrictions and two more recently because The Memsahib was just too ill to travel).

A few days ago, I started looking for short breaks over the next couple of weeks, but now she has gone down with the worst cold/chest infection/cough either of us can remember. It started last Sunday and has worsened considerably since then.

Negative Covid tests (the most recent half an hour ago), but she has all the classic symptoms. As for me - 100% right as rain.

Hope the Memsahib is feeling better now. She's had a rotten run of illness. 

Pass on my regards 

On 15/07/2022 at 08:41, angieram said:

I've only just read this, Eddie.

I hope the Memsahib is feeling much better now. Look after yourselves.

Much-improved, thank you. She's pottering around in the garden at the moment, watering my chilis, hopefully, and perhaps some of the less important stuff like flowers, tomatoes and onions.

14 hours ago, sage said:

Hope the Memsahib is feeling better now. She's had a rotten run of illness. 

Pass on my regards 

Will do. See my reply to @angieram.

My sister had to go into hospital last week with cellulitis (I had it and I had to cancel a holiday to Ghent a few years back, but nowhere near as bad as my sister's case - IV antibiotics, the lot). She texted me when she was high on morphine - that's a text conversation I shall never delete ? ).

Anyway, long story short - she rang me yesterday - good news and bad news.

The bad news is that she has gone down with COVID-19 and is being kept in. 

The good news is that she can't taste hospital food (true story - classic symptoms of a cough and no sense of taste).

1 hour ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Flying to Cancun from Manchester in early August ??. The anxiety of the airport stress is ruining the build up..

This is what’s stopping me booking at the moment, I hated the stress of the airport pre pandemic, also getting your seat and hand luggage away while they hoards were tutting along the aisle.

The stress builds again a few days before I’m due to return too.

Crap init.

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

This is what’s stopping me booking at the moment, I hated the stress of the airport pre pandemic, also getting your seat and hand luggage away while they hoards were tutting along the aisle.

The stress builds again a few days before I’m due to return too.

Crap init.

I went to Greece a few weeks back, and the airport experience was no different to pre pandemic, certainly at EMA. 

It's never going to be enjoyable, but it was no less tolerable than before, if that helps.

Plus, they've got a Greggs in arrivals now, if you've missed a steak bake or sausage roll while away.

So, I went to Kansas City and spent over half my time there in quarantine after catching Covid. 

I must have caught it the day before I flew out as I didn't have any symptoms until the day after I arrived. Not too bad for me, just a vague sensation of exhaustion and a bit of an annoying cough.

Put a bit of a downer on the trip - had to spend nearly £1,000 on new flights back, plus extra on extending my accommodation and car hire. 

The TV was nice in the apartment though, so that's something.

Thinking of doing Crete at the end of August for a bit of scuba diving and archeological site-seeing. Don't suppose anyone has any suggestions?

On 16/07/2022 at 19:24, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Flying to Cancun from Manchester in early August ??. The anxiety of the airport stress is ruining the build up..

Don't want to sound flippant but I've flown from Manchester 3 times in the past couple of months....security queues haven't been anything like the media have been hysterical about, longest it took me to get through is probably 15 to 20 mins.

The biggest queue I encountered was for the bar at 5 in the morning. Sounds boring but I can't even think of anything of any consequence to tell you about. 

8 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Don't want to sound flippant but I've flown from Manchester 3 times in the past couple of months....security queues haven't been anything like the media have been hysterical about, longest it took me to get through is probably 15 to 20 mins.

The biggest queue I encountered was for the bar at 5 in the morning. Sounds boring but I can't even think of anything of any consequence to tell you about. 

Same for me, (but Stansted instead of Manchester) . Twice in the last three weeks. No delays of any kind . Security queues, yes busy, but no more than it normally is.

6 hours ago, ketteringram said:

Same for me, (but Stansted instead of Manchester) . Twice in the last three weeks. No delays of any kind . Security queues, yes busy, but no more than it normally is.

Biggest issues I've seen at security is nothing to do with the staffing but the brainless lack of preparation and understanding of the rules by people passing through it thereby causing unnecessary delays.

Not sure how simplistic an instruction it is to put liquids under 100ml in a clear bag which the airport remind you of anyway when you're in the security queues.  

Then watch as a randomer then spends ten minutes at the security desk fishing out all of the above from their bag. 

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

Biggest issues I've seen at security is nothing to do with the staffing but the brainless lack of preparation and understanding of the rules by people passing through it thereby causing unnecessary delays.

Not sure how simplistic an instruction it is to put liquids under 100ml in a clear bag which the airport remind you of anyway when you're in the security queues.  

Then watch as a randomer then spends ten minutes at the security desk fishing out all of the above from their bag. 

Very true. Two ladies with full cosmetics bags .. and arguing about having to empty them all.  

4 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I'd fast track such people straight through security, the shops and the restaurants, directly onto the plane. 

Fill those Rwandan flights up with deserving candidates. 

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Back home. Flight cancelled. Alternative flight offered was on 24th! Was due back on 25th. 

The country is a shambles! Bit of heat and the tarmac came up!! 

Im gutted. 

Oh no! That’s crap mate. ?

5 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Back home. Flight cancelled. Alternative flight offered was on 24th! Was due back on 25th. 

The country is a shambles! Bit of heat and the tarmac came up!! 

Im gutted. 

That’s horrible. Hope you get to go away soon.