Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Holiday plans deferred into 2023 as Mrs VdM announced it was her silver wedding (not sure where I was at the time) so she should have a decent holiday. 

So it's a 2 week cruise of the Caribbean in a suite in one of them big boat things. 

Stops in Curaçao, domenica, Martinique, Antigua and some others. 

All you can eat breakfast in the Marco pierre white restaurant, personal staff, scented oils....it's the stuff of nightmares.... ?

I have to agree, would be a absolutely memorable holiday for some, but cruises just don’t float my boat, if you pardon the pun.  I’d be on edge all the time with the amount of people milling around.  The suite sounds special though.

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Holiday plans deferred into 2023 as Mrs VdM announced it was her silver wedding (not sure where I was at the time) so she should have a decent holiday. 

So it's a 2 week cruise of the Caribbean in a suite in one of them big boat things. 

Stops in Curaçao, domenica, Martinique, Antigua and some others. 

All you can eat breakfast in the Marco pierre white restaurant, personal staff, scented oils....it's the stuff of nightmares.... ?

Hope Mrs VdM and whoever she decides to take with her has a lovely time.

I love cruising and am very jealous. The Caribbean ones are the best ones to do and it sounds like you have some lovely places to visit.

24 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I have to agree, would be a absolutely memorable holiday for some, but cruises just don’t float my boat, if you pardon the pun.  I’d be on edge all the time with the amount of people milling around.  The suite sounds special though.

Being brought up in Derbyshire, where open water is a three day trip by ox cart away, I'm naturally a landlubber. 

Down here they're all salty sea dogs... ?

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I love cruising and am very jealous. The Caribbean ones are the best ones to do and it sounds like you have some lovely places to visit.

Mrs VdM usually loves the ones from Southampton because there's no limit on luggage! 

I'm sure it'll be good. I'm struggling to comprehend a boat with 5000 people on it, but I've promised to not be a MoodHoover ?

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Mrs VdM usually loves the ones from Southampton because there's no limit on luggage! 

I'm sure it'll be good. I'm struggling to comprehend a boat with 5000 people on it, but I've promised to not be a MoodHoover ?

My experience is that it doesn’t really feel crowded.
Make sure you keep abreast of what’s on each day.

Go easy on the cocktails!

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

I'm with you on cruises - no appeal whatsoever. Been on 3 - Caribbean (boring), Norway (frightening in Force 12 gales) and Nile which I don’t count as a real cruise because we stopped at fascinating places every day and plenty to see when we were on the move. Would do the Nile or similar big river trip again but out on the open sea - never!

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

My dad (aged 92!. My mum died last August) is thinking of booking his first ever cruise around the med. My sister will be advising him as she’s done plenty of cruises (she’s doing the around the world cruise next spring). I’ve never done a cruise and they don’t really appeal to me especially one a friend of ours is going on across the Atlantic. It means they’ll be at sea (with nothing to see) for most of the holiday. I know there is plenty of onboard entertainment but can’t they just go to Butlins for a couple of weeks ?.

10 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

My dad (aged 92!. My mum died last August) is thinking of booking his first ever cruise around the med. My sister will be advising him as she’s done plenty of cruises (she’s doing the around the world cruise next spring). I’ve never done a cruise and they don’t really appeal to me especially one a friend of ours is going on across the Atlantic. It means they’ll be at sea (with nothing to see) for most of the holiday. I know there is plenty of onboard entertainment but can’t they just go to Butlins for a couple of weeks ?.

I love the days at sea. You really get the feel of the explorer, being miles from anywhere and with the sea your only view. The air is so fresh.

I hope your dad has a fabulous time.

20 hours ago, dog said:

Going to Krakow for a few days. Any advice on car hire?

Unless you have specific needs, you won't need it. City is very walkable and all the stuff outside is easy to reach. 

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I love the days at sea. You really get the feel of the explorer, being miles from anywhere and with the sea your only view. The air is so fresh.

I hope your dad has a fabulous time.

Aren't you just on a massive floating hotel? 

I know they don't suit everyone but for me the days actually at open sea sound the worst.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it. Not sure about the other passengers he might attach himself to ?

I guess it's the same with a lot of holiday things. Until you've tried it you don't understand what all the fuss is about. I love Walt Disney World (been 10 times but too expensive now) but had no interest before we went. Dubai and Vegas don't interest me but most people that have been seem to love then.

Edited by Tamworthram

23 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Aren't you just on a massive floating hotel? 

I know they don't suit everyone but for me the days actually at open sea sound the worst.

I'm sure he'll enjoy it. Not sure about the other passengers he might attach himself to ?

I guess it's the same with a lot of holiday things. Until you've tried it you don't understand what all the fuss is about. I love Walt Disney World (been 10 times but too expensive now) but had no interest before we went. Dubai and Vegas don't interest me but most people that have been seem to love then.

I was the same with Vegas, didn't really want to go (other than the day trip to the Grand Canyon.)

Just went to keep the Mrs happy in initially.

But really love going now can't wait until next time.

This year we are going to California, only ever been with work so we are doing the whole lot taking three weeks from San Francisco driving the coast right down to San Diego.

21 minutes ago, I DONT MIND said:

I was the same with Vegas, didn't really want to go (other than the day trip to the Grand Canyon.)

This year we are going to California, only ever been with work so we are doing the whole lot taking three weeks from San Francisco driving the coast right down to San Diego.

Before going to Las Vegas I imagined it to be a 'big Blackpool' but it's so much more - great drive out to Red Rock Canyon, day trip to Death Valley, Hoover Dam etc etc and the vastness of the Grand Canyon is jaw-dropping.

Great trip down Highway 1. San Francisco is fascinating and you can easily use one of your weeks there, then the fantastic drive down Highway 1, Carmel. Monterey and Santa Barbara. Los Angeles wasn't for us (hated it to be honest - just a concrete mish-mash) but great if you want theme parks. San Diego is a beautiful old town / city which merits spending a few days there.

I'm sure you'll love your trip.

7 hours ago, I DONT MIND said:

I did that in 96 with some mates. Brilliant 20 days (including 3 in Vegas). 

Heading to Holland first two weeks of August. Pretty much the last country to remove restrictions -  having to travel on a recovery cert that i have had to pay for as NHS App doesn't issue recovery certs for LFT positives. Didnt want the booster so this was my only option.

I'm hoping the tractors and the fisherman don't block the ports lol.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

1 week until Crete, hopefully

My brother got back from 2 weeks in Crete last week, I'm sure if he was a forum member he would advise you to send your baggage a couple of days before you leave - you might get there at the same time then ? 

Just now, maxjam said:

My brother got back from 2 weeks in Crete last week, I'm sure if he was a forum member he would advise you to send your baggage a couple of days before you leave - you might get there at the same time then ? 

really? Where did he fly from and which airline?

I've been 14 times since 2005 and touch wood, haven't had an issue yet.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

really? Where did he fly from and which airline?

I've been 14 times since 2005 and touch wood, haven't had an issue yet.

Dunno tbh and didn't ask.  Dropped my kids off at my Mums at the weekend, she was telling me the first couple of days of my brothers holiday were chaos, a load of people flew home after one day and he had made arrangements to fly home the next evening.  Fortunately the luggage eventually turned up and ended up having a nice time.  No problems flying back.