Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

17 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Kind of glad we cancelled our trip to France now. Friends queuing for hours outside of Dover.

Good job we've "taken back control" ?

Luckily, we can now avoid school holidays although that’s not always been the case as my wife still worked as a school secretary even after our kids had left school. But, do the prices really shoot up if you wait a week or two? If not, I’ve never understood why half the country feel the need to head off the very first weekend after the schools break up. It is always the busiest time.

5 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Luckily, we can now avoid school holidays although that’s not always been the case as my wife still worked as a school secretary even after our kids had left school. But, do the prices really shoot up if you wait a week or two? If not, I’ve never understood why half the country feel the need to head off the very first weekend after the schools break up. It is always the busiest time.

Same day 2016 - Dover port delays, families stuck on roads told chaos will last until Monday Holidaymakers and lorry drivers trapped in traffic for up to 12 hours, with delays blamed on shortage of French border staff

2022 - blame Brexit for it ? 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/port-of-dover-seven-hour-delays-border-checks-france

Off to Hunstanton again shortly - much prefer there than going abroad these days ?

Cracking location on the east coast imho, only a couple of hours or so drive to get there.  Not to commercial (but just enough to keep the kids entertained for a week or two) and nice quieter places to eat in Old Hunstanton.  Some nice beaches and walks and key for us, its super dog friendly. 

TBH I'd much rather go on holiday in the UK with my dogs these days than leave them with my parents and go abroad.

6 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Same day 2016 - Dover port delays, families stuck on roads told chaos will last until Monday Holidaymakers and lorry drivers trapped in traffic for up to 12 hours, with delays blamed on shortage of French border staff

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/23/port-of-dover-seven-hour-delays-border-checks-france

Staff shortages exist across Europe , partly due to lockdowns and furlough. Although why France is particularly affected isn't clear .. could they really only manage four border staff at the busiest time of year?  

Heading to Tenby for the first time this year, usually head to Devon or Cornwall but the higher influx of people going the last couple of years has made us consider other options (although saying that I think it it will have eased off a bit this year down there).

Anyway, any tips for Tenby or the surrounding area?

44 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

Staff shortages exist across Europe , partly due to lockdowns and furlough. Although why France is particularly affected isn't clear .. could they really only manage four border staff at the busiest time of year?  

8 flat tyres I heard?

0E1A7283-02D4-4667-9124-79D6743F154F.jpeg.f13083950c786ac15c84e38281b44c51.jpeg

13 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

Well, quite - it's not like we didn't know that this would happen.

But it was all "oh project fear" ?

No doubt down to "Brexit" but gives EU countries a stick to beat the UK with, NI protocol, Ripping up 1000s of EU laws, Don't poke the Bear, I was once told that France is a beautiful Country...spoiled by the French living there, Centauries of being our Foe and still is.

Go and see a clairvoyant and ask to speak to De Gaul, If you get through ask him why in 1967 he vetoed the UK from joining the EEC. 

PS...I voted for Brexit...no complaints from me.

7 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

No doubt down to "Brexit" but gives EU countries a stick to beat the UK with, NI protocol, Ripping up 1000s of EU laws, Don't poke the Bear, I was once told that France is a beautiful Country...spoiled by the French living there, Centauries of being our Foe and still is.

Go and see a clairvoyant and ask to speak to De Gaul, If you get through ask him why in 1967 he vetoed the UK from joining the EEC. 

PS...I voted for Brexit...no complaints from me.

I work for a French company so interact with them many times a day. Brexit is not even on their top twenty things of things to worry about, so if anyone thinks they are doing this as some grand 'eff you' I am sorry to say we simply are not that important to them. Actually, most I have spoken to are genuinely sad we have left the EU (a couple think we are crazy) and I have yet to have one conversation that suggests we deserve to be taught a lesson. Seems some have moved on from 1415 (and I don't mean quarter past two).

6 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I work for a French company so interact with them many times a day. Brexit is not even on their top twenty things of things to worry about, so if anyone thinks they are doing this as some grand 'eff you' I am sorry to say we simply are not that important to them. Actually, most I have spoken to are genuinely sad we have left the EU (a couple think we are crazy) and I have yet to have one conversation that suggests we deserve to be taught a lesson. Seems some have moved on from 1415 (and I don't mean quarter past two).

lol at 1415, Glad you said some ?

I can't argue with that assessment, Just a question, How many politicians do you work with?, The cynic in me says this has come down to a decision from above and I don't mean a ticket collector at the Eiffel Tower, Who's at fault if any?, How is it that the French said non non non it's not us with the shortage of border staff at Dover, Yet our Politicians are saying it is, Is this a case of neither side wanting to admit to a fault, Or is our press making hay while the sun shines

Maxjam said this also happened in 2016...so not down to "Brexit", Are we being sold a pup by the press on both sides of the channel?

Brexit is a great tool for the leavers to blame when things go tits up this side of the channel, Nice to see people supporting XR, But squeal when democracy has won the day...as my old Gran used to say...nowt so strange as folk ? 

30 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Brexit is a great tool for the leavers to blame when things go tits up this side of the channel, Nice to see people supporting XR, But squeal when democracy has won the day...as my old Gran used to say...nowt so strange as folk ? 

Indeed. What a laugh. Bet you're so happy to have a blue passport for your hols.

1 hour ago, Unlucky Alf said:

lol at 1415, Glad you said some ?

I can't argue with that assessment, Just a question, How many politicians do you work with?, The cynic in me says this has come down to a decision from above and I don't mean a ticket collector at the Eiffel Tower, Who's at fault if any?, How is it that the French said non non non it's not us with the shortage of border staff at Dover, Yet our Politicians are saying it is, Is this a case of neither side wanting to admit to a fault, Or is our press making hay while the sun shines

Maxjam said this also happened in 2016...so not down to "Brexit", Are we being sold a pup by the press on both sides of the channel?

To the point of this being 2016 repeated, it's on a completely different scale. In 2016 we had a few days of disruption - and we did - this time it has been going on for months and is only starting the peak of summer issues. I have no doubt that all sides are telling their story, and I have no doubt that French passport control is understaffed, just as ours are.

The point that amuses me is that we supposedly did Brexit to take back control of our borders but now apparently it's all the fault of the French not managing the problem. We asked for this - explicitly - we voted (democratically, if somewhat flawed, but yes we voted as a nation on it) to take our country out of all the agreements that were in place to help movement across borders. Our biggest problem, and it hangs like a shadow over everytihng that has happened in this country in the past decade, is that we somehow believe we deserve special treatment and consideration over and above the actual reality of what we democratically voted for - we don't expect to be treated in the way we want to treat others and it just don't work like that....

This is Brexit, we can argue about whether it is necessary pain in the period of transition, whether it is something we just have to work our way through - no pain no gain and all that. But to not even recognise it as an impact of Brexit then we fail ourselves in not recognising what might need to be done to fix it - coz just saying that we are going to fix our borders by asking the French to put more staff on the booths or just not be so bloomin' French about it all isn't going to fix it.

13 hours ago, maxjam said:

Due to the Nice attacks

This time due to additional checks

Read all of it