Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

On 09/07/2022 at 07:41, Van der MoodHoover said:

Mrs VdM usually loves the ones from Southampton because there's no limit on luggage! 

I'm sure it'll be good. I'm struggling to comprehend a boat with 5000 people on it, but I've promised to not be a MoodHoover ?

Lovely view of the docks from the top of Ikea car park ?

2 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Still there are you? Had my first part-time job in a bar at Shamrock Quay in Northam.

Long time ago mind.

Live in Chandlers Ford now.... Shamrock Quay eh? Blimey that was up there with ocean Village for attracting the braying tvvats ?

I was more Bedford place or Oxford Street. Trad (but a bit camp) ?

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Live in Chandlers Ford now.... Shamrock Quay eh? Blimey that was up there with ocean Village for attracting the braying tvvats ?

I was more Bedford place or Oxford Street. Trad (but a bit camp) ?

I used to drink around there in the late 80s - The Bedford, the Grapes, Willows, the London Hotel, Frog & Frigate, the Cricketers, the Pier - good times. 

7 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

My drinking was limited to the pubs around Bursledon, Crows Nest, Jolly Sailor etc

And smoking fags on the way to school in Hamble. Ah, happy days the early/mid 80's

White Hart was my favourite in Hamble, though they all had their good points. 

No holidays this year, After blowing a few grand on a failed house move I've decided a Summer at home, Just applied for my passport, Went to Asda for my photos in one of those booths, £9 for 4 pics, Go home and apply, Get to my picture and I put in the code that came with the pics and Boom there I am, Sent old one back on Monday, Got a message today that they have received it...10 weeks if alls well with my application.

A wee jaunt over to Ilson Friday morning, pick up 91 year old Father-in-Law... and his bloody mobility scooter... and off to bloody well Mable-sur-La-Thorpe for 3 nights in a bloody well static caravan on one of them there bloody well holiday parks!  

Hey... I know... Sounds horrendous at first light yeah? 

But the fact of the matter is the old man spent 90% of December-April in either hospital or care home.  We almost gave up on him surviving at one point, and he almost lost a big bag of marbles at another, but he got through it... not sure how... and he's been home since May, with a few little niggles, the odd fall, and a one off flat out refusal to accept the wonderful paramedics' invitation to take him back in to get him checked over yet again, despite his breathing being very iffy at the time!

We cancelled a similar jaunt in May as he simply wasn't up to it.

But the past 3 weeks or so have seen him as near to being "back to his normal self" as he's ever likely to get, so now is as good a time as any.  Hey, he'll never be the fit and sprightly 85 year old of days gone by, but he's certainly perkier than he has been since before Christmas, so why not make hay while the sun shines.  Grab the opportunity with both hands.  There's no time like the present.  etc, etc...

This may... or may not, I hasten to add... be his last chance to see the sea, and smell that wonderfu... well, you get the picture!

If that proves to be the case, then I for one will be proud to have played my part in it.  He's a good guy.  He deserves it. 

So, wish us luck... I'm going in...

11 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

No holidays this year, After blowing a few grand on a failed house move I've decided a Summer at home, Just applied for my passport, Went to Asda for my photos in one of those booths, £9 for 4 pics, Go home and apply, Get to my picture and I put in the code that came with the pics and Boom there I am, Sent old one back on Monday, Got a message today that they have received it...10 weeks if alls well with my application.

When I renewed my British passport last year I was able to take my own picture and submit it online. Maybe that was only for Overseas applications. It was far easier, cheaper and quicker than renewing my Aus passport.

33 minutes ago, Stagtime said:

When I renewed my British passport last year I was able to take my own picture and submit it online. Maybe that was only for Overseas applications. It was far easier, cheaper and quicker than renewing my Aus passport.

I think there was a process for the above...not too sure tho, It was a simple process, Select, Pay, Flash ?,Job done, I'm not tech savvy, I do things that I'm comfortable with and used too, I wasn't going to re-new and have my future hols here in the UK, But I have a pull to visit again my Mums homeland Austria(Vienna)I love it there but hate flying...yes really fear/hate flying, Heights I have an issue with ☹️

9 hours ago, Stagtime said:

I did the same when I renewed my passport a couple of years ago so it definitely is/was a thing for UK residents as well. A bit of a pain getting an acceptable background and level of light but managed it in the end.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I did the same when I renewed my passport a couple of years ago so it definitely is/was a thing for UK residents as well. A bit of a pain getting an acceptable background and level of light but managed it in the end.

Yeah, took about 6 shots before one got accepted.

22 hours ago, Stagtime said:

I made the mistake of doing this recently. I clearly can’t take a decent photo because I look like a murderer and am now stuck with this passport for the next 10 years. I also had to renew my driving licence and they automatically used the same photo. I’ve honestly never seen a worse photo of myself, but it took so many attempts to get an acceptable one that I went with it.

11 minutes ago, Kinder said:

I made the mistake of doing this recently. I clearly can’t take a decent photo because I look like a murderer and am now stuck with this passport for the next 10 years. I also had to renew my driving licence and they automatically used the same photo. I’ve honestly never seen a worse photo of myself, but it took so many attempts to get an acceptable one that I went with it.

Haha, I know that feeling. I do it on purpose now, shaved head and all on my Oz passport.