Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

14 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

The point that amuses me is that we supposedly did Brexit to take back control of our borders but now apparently it's all the fault of the French not managing the problem. 

It looks like others want...special treatment and consideration over and above ?

"Several EU countries have broken the EU Treaties in respect of border controls for years. Since the UK’s Referendum in June 2016, there have been 57 occasions on which the EU Schengen Zone’s “open border” rules have been suspended and hard borders reintroduced. In most cases this has affected several borders"

Think we should leave it be now...getting into Politics...a Taboo subject on here☹️

8 minutes ago, sage said:

So Brexit/This government 

According to Pierre-Henri Dumont the MP for Calais...yes

I only copied and pasted, I have no insider information, I have my suspicions tho, I dislike ALL Governments of ALL nations.  

3 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

According to Pierre-Henri Dumont the MP for Calais...yes

I only copied and pasted, I have no insider information, I have my suspicions tho, I dislike ALL Governments of ALL nations.  

The £33m plan being rejected is from many sources.

My mate just took 90 minutes to get off a ferry at Santander when normally you just drive off. 

It's an inevitable layer of delay after making that decision. If its worth it, who's to say 

12 minutes ago, Unlucky Alf said:

Since the UK’s Referendum in June 2016, there have been 57 occasions on which the EU Schengen Zone’s “open border” rules have been suspended and hard borders reintroduced. In most cases this has affected several borders"

Can you quote one? Because I put the section you quoted into Google and the article you seem to have lifted it from actually omits to reference one  - which would have helped their argument significantly.

BTW - your suggestion on how we fix this is that we expect France to break Schengen "open border" rules? Not only a strange suggestion that France should break it's own laws to accomodate us but even more challenging when you consider we are not part of the Schengen agreement and weren't in the Schengen agreement at any point in our history.

57 minutes ago, sage said:

Due to the Nice attacks

This time due to additional checks

Read all of it

I did read all of it thanks ?

It doesn't alter the fact that in 2016 extra checks and only 3/7 French booths available led to delays, whereas a few days ago extra checks and 4/7 French booths available also led to delays.

Apparently things are more or less back to normal now.  Lets see what next weekend brings...  Ultimately, its in no ones interest to have excessive queues at the border, problems such as this will get resolved over time.  

3 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I did read all of it thanks ?

It doesn't alter the fact that in 2016 extra checks and only 3/7 French booths available led to delays, whereas a few days ago extra checks and 4/7 French booths available also led to delays.

Apparently things are more or less back to normal now.  Lets see what next weekend brings...  Ultimately, its in no ones interest to have excessive queues at the border, problems such as this will get resolved over time.  

5 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Fires,floods,disease,train and flight cancelations,is it really worth booking a holiday.

Nah, you're better off building a bunker and hiding Colin Furze style...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-34846264

Or just not book a holiday to start the day all the kids finish school and 'travel chaos' headlines are common place ? 

9 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Fires,floods,disease,train and flight cancelations,is it really worth booking a holiday.

yes. If you get the benefits you should from a holiday. Holidays are for mental and physical resets and to some of us are vital to our mental health. 

The whole world is subject to fear-mongering trying to force you into or out-of doing something. That's a conversation for the politics thread, but if you live your life in fear or not trying anything cos of a bit of a challenge, what's the point in life?

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there have always been fires, floods, and disease. Whilst cancellations have increased, they're not unheard of either.

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Can you quote one? Because I put the section you quoted into Google and the article you seem to have lifted it from actually omits to reference one  - which would have helped their argument significantly.

OK just 1 then.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/austria-set-to-extend-border-controls-in-spite-of-top-eu-courts-ruling-that-they-are-illegal/

Some argue that the UK government's decision to reject a £33m plan to expand facilities at Dover has contributed significantly to the recent problem. 

https://www.ft.com/content/2a6662a0-975e-4bcd-9f5b-e241256db4df

If nothing else, it's certainly given the French authorities a ready-made excuse to allow them to deflect any blame away from themselves. 

Own goal by Boris & Co? 

3 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

yes. If you get the benefits you should from a holiday. Holidays are for mental and physical resets and to some of us are vital to our mental health. 

The whole world is subject to fear-mongering trying to force you into or out-of doing something. That's a conversation for the politics thread, but if you live your life in fear or not trying anything cos of a bit of a challenge, what's the point in life?

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but there have always been fires, floods, and disease. Whilst cancellations have increased, they're not unheard of either.

7 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Holidays here in Spain for the Brits is just one long piss up

I've done 3 of the Canary Islands, Majorca/Ibiza, Costa del Sol, Costa Brava and every one has been every day on the lash, Not any with all male parties, 2/3 were with similar minded couples, Or just me and her or who have met other couples while there...only for drinks and nowt else ?

It's sort of therapeutic and does put your mind in a different place, Europe was/is the place where the sunshine was pretty much guaranteed, Here at home it's hit n miss.

So all tho one huge piss up for some, For others it will be for other reasons, Chilling with the family, Touring around, Staying by the pool for that golden tan(I never did that).

We did Lloret de Mar in the 80s by coach(never again)there was a Welsh fella there on his own...I swear he never left the hotel bar in the 8 days we were there 

42 minutes ago, Malagaram said:

Holidays here in Spain for the Brits is just one long piss up

in honesty, I'm not a fan of Spain. I've been for 2 Golfing holidays, and a Stag Weekend to mainland Spain. I've had a week in Ibiza, and a week in Tenerife twice, and a week in Gran Canaria. None of them my choice for destination. I'd say I mainly drink on holiday in the evenings, but I believe the Spanish resorts rely heavily on tourism, and the businesses rely on selling booze.

Each to their own. I'm not sure if you're criticising or just observing.

17 hours ago, Malagaram said:

My advice is get out an enjoy yourself and spend your money before inflation gets any worse it’s already at a 40 year high.

Rump steak at Flaming grill yesterday £6:50 

Going to St Ives in Cornwall in September £700 bnb, concession railcard £9:90 all day travel. 

The days of cheap travel, food are over enjoy whilst you can.