Holiday Plans 2022

Angry Ram

On 26/07/2022 at 09:07, Unlucky Alf said:

Yeah, but that is an example of a country 'hardening' their borders to protect themselves, which isn't exactly what is needed here. Given - to your point - we don't want to turn this into a Brexit discussion (both Rishi and Liz confirmed this is nothing to do with that anyway) or a rehash of the Northern Ireland border (as that seems to be what your first article is referring to), what are you actually suggesting with regard to helping holiday makers enter France (remember, border control is completely reciprocal - whatever you ask of them you must be prepared to tolerate in return)? And also remember that any amendment mustn't contravene what we signed up to and voted for in Brexit - as you said, that was what democracy gave us. We chose this.

20 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Yeah, but that is an example of a country 'hardening' their borders to protect themselves, which isn't exactly what is needed here. Given - to your point - we don't want to turn this into a Brexit discussion (both Rishi and Liz confirmed this is nothing to do with that anyway) or a rehash of the Northern Ireland border (as that seems to be what your first article is referring to), what are you actually suggesting with regard to helping holiday makers enter France (remember, border control is completely reciprocal - whatever you ask of them you must be prepared to tolerate in return)? And also remember that any amendment mustn't contravene what we signed up to and voted for in Brexit - as you said, that was what democracy gave us. We chose this.

You asked for proof of borders being put up, I gave you an example, The Schengen area is an area where a passport was no longer needed, Here is an example where you need to show your ID papers, Whatever guise those Countries are using is against EU law...hardening or otherwise.

I've never once said "helping holiday makers", I did use the "NI protocol" as a weapon for the French to beat us with, As the MP for Calais said...this is down to "Brexit"

You said Sunak and Truss saying chaos at Dover nothing to do with Brexit, Yet the port of Dover boss says otherwise and he should know  https://uk.style.yahoo.com/news/brexit-to-blame-huge-holiday-queues-france-113704463.html

I'm not suggesting anything to help the holiday maker...never have!

As for contravening what we signed up for, Governments are voted in by it's electorate, Once a Government is in place they then take control...if they choose to "contravene" those laws by issuing new laws...then it's because they were elected to Parliament by a Democratic proses  

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

You asked for proof of borders being put up, I gave you an example, The Schengen area is an area where a passport was no longer needed, Here is an example where you need to show your ID papers, Whatever guise those Countries are using is against EU law...hardening or otherwise.

OK, but given the UK never was, and certainly isn't, in the Schengen agreement I'm struggling to see it's relevance in this thread. I'm aso struggling to see how 'hardening' border control over and above EU law is relevant in this thread either.

As for Truss and Sunak - I was being sarcastic, I certainly agree with the head of Dover ports on that one, even if the MP for Dover also doesn't.

2 hours ago, Unlucky Alf said:

As for contravening what we signed up for, Governments are voted in by it's electorate, Once a Government is in place they then take control...if they choose to "contravene" those laws by issuing new laws...then it's because they were elected to Parliament by a Democratic proses

As for this paragraph - you are George Orwell, I claim my £10.

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

OK, but given the UK never was, and certainly isn't, in the Schengen agreement I'm struggling to see it's relevance in this thread. I'm aso struggling to see how 'hardening' border control over and above EU law is relevant in this thread either.

As for this paragraph - you are George Orwell, I claim my £10.

There was no relevance as such...I posted an issue where some nations wanted..."special treatment and consideration over and above" 

Who's George Orwell?

Just had the unfortunate scenario of having to bring the start of our next jaunt forward by 2 days... Sat 3rd to Thurs 1st... an extra £53 for the Eurotunnel outbound (robbing gits!) and a £5 reduction for the Folkestone hotel the night before (To allow an early crossing next day).

Still... when the gaffer twists your arm to get away early, and grab a couple of extra days camping in The South of France...

?

Just a little legality-based tip for anyone who travels to the continent in their own car... as do we...

As we all know, those fancy new UK/Union Flag stickers to replace/cover the old GB/Euro section on the left of your Reg plates are fine and dandy.

eg here:

OLD GB VERSION:
number_plate.jpg

NEW UK VERSION:
il_794xN.3750672496_6krs.jpg

Got mine earlier this year (Just the UK stickers, not new full plates), and had them on when we went to Normandy/Brittany in June.  All perfectly legal.  All held well, and remain in place.

Obviously was expecting the same approach for next month, when we return, this time to the South West of France, so leave all as is...

However, as we're gonna be close by (c. an hour drive) we also plan for a day trip over the border into Spain, and I've literally just found out my UK plates alone will not suffice in Spain, Cyprus, or Malta.

Regardless of what your reg plate shows, one of those ugly in-yer-face Oval UK Stickers are required for those countries!.  

eg here:
FBAqWetVcAMDlxZ?format=jpg&name=large

Now, I've never liked the look of them, so never had them before.
I have also always hated (with a vengeance) car window stickers... HATE, I say!  GRRRRR! ? (See what I mean!)

My first choice would therefore be a magnetic one... lob it on the tailgate for the day in Spain, whip it off again when done (not required in France, as my reg plate suffices).  Simple enough, surely...

But wait...
It also needs to be clearly visible from a vehicle behind (obvs!)... and we'd normally have our bikes hanging on the tow bar, covering the complete bottom half of the tailgate (See below pic), leaving just (parts of) the rear window visible... and magnets don't tend to work on glass!

For reference, this is our set up (And on the rare occasion we go anywhere in the car, we usually leave bikes and box on, as we'll often just abandon the car and go for a pootle on the bikes... as we were planning, for the day in Spain!):

cc4d7d7a-3c34-4b49-b3d1-a0fe18dc85a6.jpg.a9d83a89507740459e6187842b17a760.jpg

So, do I go for an ugly... and nigh on permanent... window sticker, top left, or leave the bikes at the campsite for the day, and use the preferred magnetic oval, lower on the tailgate (unhindered by bike carrier)?

Does anyone know anything about "Cling Stickers"?  (Never heard of them until just now... I'll do some research later!)  Are they for inside windows?  Are they better and/or less permanent and/or less messy (once removed) than adhesive window stickers?  

So sorry, I've ended up waffling... but at least the main tip for UK drivers abroad still stands, so my job here is done!  Bon Voyage, etc... 

EDIT:

Just realised... DOH!... I suspect an internal window sticker won't be particularly visible through tinted glass anyway, so possibly still not legal!  #twatme
Think it may have to be a magnet, and do without the bikes for the day!  ?

Edited by Mucker1884

47 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Just a little legality-based tip for anyone who travels to the continent in their own car... as do we...

As we all know, those fancy new UK/Union Flag stickers to replace/cover the old GB/Euro section on the left of your Reg plates are fine and dandy.

eg here:

OLD GB VERSION:
number_plate.jpg

NEW UK VERSION:

Got mine earlier this year (Just the UK stickers, not new full plates), and had them on when we went to Normandy/Brittany in June.  All perfectly legal.  All held well, and remain in place.

Obviously was expecting the same approach for next month, when we return, this time to the South West of France, so leave all as is...

However, as we're gonna be close by (c. an hour drive) we also plan for a day trip over the border into Spain, and I've literally just found out my UK plates alone will not suffice in Spain, Cyprus, or Malta.

Regardless of what your reg plate shows, one of those ugly in-yer-face Oval UK Stickers are required for those countries!.  

eg here:

I have also always hated (with a vengeance) car window stickers... HATE, I say!  GRRRRR! ? (See what I mean!)

My first choice would therefore be a magnetic one... lob it on the tailgate for the day in Spain, whip it off again when done (not required in France, as my reg plate suffices).  Simple enough, surely...

But wait...
It also needs to be clearly visible from a vehicle behind (obvs!)... and we'd normally have our bikes hanging on the tow bar, covering the complete bottom half of the tailgate (See below pic), leaving just (parts of) the rear window visible... and magnets don't tend to work on glass!

For reference, this is our set up (And on the rare occasion we go anywhere in the car, we usually leave bikes and box on, as we'll often just abandon the car and go for a pootle on the bikes... as we were planning, for the day in Spain!):

So, do I go for an ugly... and nigh on permanent... window sticker, top left, or leave the bikes at the campsite for the day, and use the preferred magnetic oval, lower on the tailgate (unhindered by bike carrier)?

Does anyone know anything about "Cling Stickers"?  (Never heard of them until just now... I'll do some research later!)  Are they for inside windows?  Are they better and/or less permanent and/or less messy (once removed) than adhesive window stickers?  

So sorry, I've ended up waffling... but at least the main tip for UK drivers abroad still stands, so my job here is done!  Bon Voyage, etc... 

EDIT:

Just realised... DOH!... I suspect an internal window sticker won't be particularly visible through tinted glass anyway, so possibly still not legal!  #twatme

Could you stick it to your box?

Carry On Mood GIF

23 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

eg here:

OLD GB VERSION:
number_plate.jpg

NEW UK VERSION:

eg here:

But wait...

EDIT:

Magnetic sticker on outside of glass, strong neodymium magnet (ebay/ amazon) on inside?

Edited by Ewetube

15 minutes ago, Ewetube said:

Magnetic sticker on outside of glass, strong neodymium magnet (ebay/ amazon) on inside?

Now that is option not yet considered!

Clever!  

... Although I then have additional faff sourcing/purchasing a suitable magnet (Strength/size etc)

Probably OTT for the "problem in hand... but I like your thinking! ?