Our own song (yes this again)

sage

22 minutes ago, angieram said:

Does anyone know the lyrics? 

Love the song, btw, dance classic.

I’m kinda thinking you’d just be singing the chorus rather than getting to grips with the verse. Does anybody want to sing the verses of Steve Bloomer’s Watching? I’m not even sure Robert Lindsay even wanted verses when you look at them!

4 hours ago, Ellafella said:

I believe William Morley and the Club used to sing this at the Old Bell after post-match dinners back in the 1880’s @loweman2

Mrs B and I saw the Spinners (a famous Liverpool folk group at Brum Town Hall about 30 years ago.

They said that ‘The Derby Ram’ was the nearest to a local folk song they could find.

I cheered and Tony Davies asked if I supported DCFC. They praised Brian Clough even though he left the Rams in 1973.

Never underestimate the appeal of a good song!

12 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Erm, no. I ain't singing that. It's terrible and reminds me of that point in time where Simple Minds went downhill. New Gold Dream (81,82,83,84) being the peak.

Try again.

Theme for Great Cities…you’ll enjoy singing that. ?

18 hours ago, 24Charlie said:

Sea shanty’s and folk songs are back in vogue. 
There already is and English folk song called The Derby Ram. It’s all about exaggeration.

Perhaps some words could be altered to reflect the modern era.

From 1:42...

"And all the young lads of Derby, come begging for his eyes..."

"Eyes"!  Plural!  ... More than one!  ... on a Ram!     

... Sounds more fable than folk song!  How utterly ridiculous!

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

We are Derby, Super Derby is simple and sounds great. The best times that I’ve been at a match is when it has been sung and there’s no sign of it stopping. It would be a fabulous habit to get into (home and away), if the fans started singing it on the 85th minute till the end. 

Agree... in principle.

At the right pace, as it was way back when, after we stole it from Spurs (Who in turn stole it from Rod the mod, of course), it's certainly stirring.  My memory is suggesting we once sang it for about the last 40 mins of a game!  NO idea what game it was, or even if we were at home or away!  
I stand to be corrected mind, as my memory is clearly not the best!

South Stand sang it last week, but they sang the 78rpm version!  All over and done with in 22 seconds, and all without taking a breath!  A classic, it was not!

51 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

Mrs B and I saw the Spinners (a famous Liverpool folk group at Brum Town Hall about 30 years ago.

They said that ‘The Derby Ram’ was the nearest to a local folk song they could find.

I cheered and Tony Davies asked if I supported DCFC. They praised Brian Clough even though he left the Rams in 1973.

Never underestimate the appeal of a good song!

Sadly yes I’m old enough to remember the Spinners

As our neighbours clearly love to sing-along to "Annies song"... a song about a woman by, let's face it, a bit of a wuss, how about we macho things up a bit as a retort?

A masculine song title, sung by a real man, with a man's name in his name (still with me?).

... Oh... and I already know the words!

I vote "A Song for Guy", by Elton John. 

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Agree... in principle.

At the right pace, as it was way back when, after we stole it from Spurs (Who in turn stole it from Rod the mod, of course), it's certainly stirring.  My memory is suggesting we once sang it for about the last 40 mins of a game!  NO idea what game it was, or even if we were at home or away!  
I stand to be corrected mind, as my memory is clearly not the best!

South Stand sang it last week, but they sang the 78rpm version!  All over and done with in 22 seconds, and all without taking a breath!  A classic, it was not!

I reckon that was Ipswich away back when Cox was in charge.  Went on for just about the whole of the second half from the away terrace behind the goal.  It almost died down a few times but then a few just revved it back up.  People actually laughing cos it went on so long. 

I actually think we are the only ones to sing White Christmas but no really sure why.  We did it at Anfield and various comments came back from the Kop about it and how good our support was first year back in the old Division 1.

Here's my effort for what it's worth..

Hold me close don't let me go, oh no
You see I, Yes I love you and think you should know, do you know?
With your love light shining
Every cloud's got a silver lining
So hold me close don't let me go

Der der der-da, Der der der-da, Der der der-da D C F C (then repeat) 

Be amazed if any of the young guns on here even know this song.  Old'uns are the best, hate to say it but quite liked the Scot's nicking 'Yes Sir I can boogie' at the Euro's.

Regards

Gangway D from the terrace

Edited by GangwayD

16 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

I reckon that was Ipswich away back when Cox was in charge.  Went on for just about the whole of the second half from the away terrace behind the goal.  It almost died down a few times but then a few just revved it back up.  People actually laughing cos it went on so long. 

Ooh no!  Further back than that.  I hardly left my sofa during Cox's realm!  

I'm thinking very late '70's, maybe just into the '80's?

No good me thinking though... I'll never work out when, or where, or who against!  ?

2 hours ago, HorsforthRam said:

We are Derby, Super Derby is simple and sounds great. The best times that I’ve been at a match is when it has been sung and there’s no sign of it stopping. It would be a fabulous habit to get into (home and away), if the fans started singing it on the 85th minute till the end. 

About the longest I can remember was 1988is against Liverpool at home, night match, Forsyth equaliser at the Ossie end