Our own song (yes this again)

sage

The Chip Eaters have Delilah, Palace have 'Glad all over' and even the Gumps have 'Mull of Kintyre' 

It would be great to have our own song. iT would have to be well known, easy to sing and have no one else in the UK singing it.

Maybe the odd word could be changed to relate it to Derby

Thoughts?   

Edited by sage

Just now, EraniosSocks said:

Someone posted a few songs from a album that was produced when we was Champions. A few of them would be much better than “Steve Bloomers Watching” 

The song and the crowd being a few seconds behind just makes the song feel a bit, meh? 

Agreed, it's too long and there isn't a clear enough tune/tempo. 

5 minutes ago, sage said:

The Chip Eaters have Delilah, Palace have 'Glad all over' and even the Gumps have 'Mull of Kintyre' 

It would be great to have our own song. iT would have to be well known, easy to sing and have no one else in the UK singing it.

Maybe the odd word could be changed to relate it to Derby

Thoughts?   

These things happen organically, you can't force them.

Didn't Stoke adopt Delilah when someone was shouting to their friend Tom Jones further ahead in the crowd, for instance?

Just now, Rev said:

Didn't Stoke adopt Delilah when someone was shouting to their friend Tom Jones further ahead in the crowd, for instance?

Not always organically. The Palace one was more organised certainly. I wasn't suggesting the Derby Taliban enforce singing (it;s not their thing anyway) just pondering what would make a good song.

2 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Any suggestions @sage?

The first verse of Build me up Buttercup could work well, with 'Derby' replacing Buttercup, bay and darlin. There is an American Football team that sing it, so proves it works and far enough away to make it ours.

If you had asked me 4 weeks ago, I would have suggested Tainted Love.   

8 minutes ago, sage said:

The first verse of Build me up Buttercup could work well, with 'Derby' replacing Buttercup, bay and darlin. There is an American Football team that sing it, so proves it works and far enough away to make it ours.

If you had asked me 4 weeks ago, I would have suggested Tainted Love.   

Just needs to be singable by a large crowd, a few lines and chorus. I'm still jealous of Ajax and Three Little Birds (supposedly played by the dj at Cardiff after a game when they were kept in). ?

22 minutes ago, Rev said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-delilah-fans-sing-4066431

Anton Booth, owner of Newcastle-based roofing firm A.D Booth & Sons and known as TJ among Stoke supporters, claims to have unwittingly kick-started the Delilah phenomenon among fans after he began to sing it in a pub in the late 1980s. "I still can't believe the phenomenon over singing Delilah," he told the Sentinel in 2009. "It all began at an away game in Derby (in April 1987) where we were all in a pub and the police asked us not to sing a song with swear words on. So we put Delilah on the jukebox, and I got up on a table and started singing it. We sang it in the ground and it just went from there."

"Claims", mind.

20 minutes ago, sage said:

Not always organically. The Palace one was more organised certainly. I wasn't suggesting the Derby Taliban enforce singing (it;s not their thing anyway) just pondering what would make a good song.

It's an interesting concept, if the taliban have a choir or not. 

5 minutes ago, ossieram said:

White Christmas still gets a run out during the festive period, but haven't heard hi ho Derby county for years.

Hi Ho is great but it's too generic.

I agree with @sage, it would be great to have a song that instantly makes you think of Derby. I actually get this a bit whenever I hear Stop Crying Your Heart Out, but it never became an anthem for us. Steve Bloomer's Watching has always been meh. 

Tbf, it probably just requires one fan with a massive set of balls to randomly start singing a well-known song. It would soon catch on if they timed it right.

Now, if only there was a big game that we could win this weekend...

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

What about Elvis Presley’s - can’t help falling in love with you.

Very apt at the minute for those that still sticking it out:

Verse 1]
Wise men say only fools rush in
But I can't help falling in love with you
Shall I stay? Would it be a sin
If I can't help falling in love with you?

[Chorus]
Like a river flows
Surely to the sea
Darling, so it goes
Some things are meant to be

[Verse 2]
Take my hand, take my whole life, too
For I can't help falling in love with you

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Hi Ho is great but it's too generic.

I agree with @sage, it would be great to have a song that is instantly associated with Derby. Steve Bloomer's Watching has always been meh.

Tbf, it probably just requires one fan with a massive set of balls to randomly start singing a well-known song. It would soon catch on if they timed it right.

Sexist Pig. Ban him @angieram