Jagielka

Chris_Martin

"Asked how difficult a conversation it had been with Jagielka, Rooney said: "Very tough.

"That was a tough one for me because Phil Jagielka I had been speaking to over the last couple of weeks. He has had clubs and offers there, which were more money than what we could pay him, and he wanted to stay here because he knew what we were trying to build. He enjoyed it here, he was a big character here.

I actually told him to turn down a club on Sunday because I was led to believe we could sign him. So when I knew I couldn't, that was tough for me because I felt I had let him down but obviously I was going off the information I was given.

"Thankfully he has got a club because that would have made me feel a lot worse if he hadn't managed to get a club. Phil knows it was out of my control."

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/Derby-county-boss-wayne-rooney-6499551

• 5 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Ramifications said:

Maybe we could see him returning for next season? His contract at Stoke is only until the end of the season. I was so sad to see him go. 

Wouldn't that depend on what division we were playing in and/or whether Stoke also sought to retain his services. 

As he will be out of contract, if we go for him, it's up to him who he chooses, so not automatically Stoke City. He seems close to Wayne. 

Forty years old, yes, but that's irrelevant if he wants to continue and remains good enough to command a place in the team. 

It might be me but I just think we lost something when he went. If you consider the Birmingham and Middlesbrough games, there's some pretty sloppy goals conceded in those two matches. 

Inevitably, we're gonna have games like that for the rest of the season. We've got a lot of young lads in our first team now and those big games are gonna weigh heavy on them. Occasionally though we'll batter teams like Hull.

That's why players like Shinnie and Jagielka were so important. Even Bielik is still looking for first team experience on a consistent basis.

13 hours ago, Ramifications said:

As he will be out of contract, if we go for him, it's up to him who he chooses, so not automatically Stoke City. He seems close to Wayne. 

Forty years old, yes, but that's irrelevant if he wants to continue and remains good enough to command a place in the team. 

It might be me but I just think we lost something when he went. If you consider the Birmingham and Middlesbrough games, there's some pretty sloppy goals conceded in those two matches. 

We have stearman. We’ve missed him over the past couple of matches I think. The kids are great, but you can’t beat the experience at centre back. That sending off really hurt us. Like when Martin got sent off vs Burnley (Although stearman probably deserved it more)