Respect Waz

jimbobram

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I understand your sentiments made after a close run win against a lower league Salford side but let's keep our feet on the ground here.

Wayne,as far as we are aware,has no other club to go to,we are his only "upper" league option.

To move onto a more prestigious side he's going to need to show he can both manage a football club and then get results from them with the resources he has available.

If he achieves that (and he has a long way to go) and he starts to attract interest from other clubs,then we will see the extent of his loyalty to the club.

And I'd be astonished if he didn't say he wanted to do well,I should bloody well hope so if he's taken on a football club as manager.

Now,hopefully Wayne is starting to learn from last season and will indeed succeed but it's too early to profess him as the new messiah just yet...lets judge him by his results in the league and the tactics and style of play he then employs.

You saved me a post. I really enjoyed the game last night, great to see the youngsters hold their own. But I won’t get carried away with draws against Udders and League 2 Salford. Bigger challenges ahead I think starting on Saturday. But it is a start ??

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

You saved me a post. I really enjoyed the game last night, great to see the youngsters hold their own. But I won’t get carried away with draws against Udders and League 2 Salford. Bigger challenges ahead I think starting on Saturday. But it is a start ??

Exactly,let's see how it progresses without loading massive  expectation onto the process,it tends to come back to embarrass us.

22 minutes ago, Anon said:

No.

We've won one game of football in our last 17 competitive fixtures and we need to show respect to the person who has overseen that? We're all aware that the job is a difficult one, but how much longer will this obsequiousness go on for? I used to think the fact that this section of the forum is called "Wayne Rooney's DCFC Fans" was ironic. Apparently not.

Drew ?

I’m not going to argue that he wants the job and wants to succeed. Events happened and he was in the right place at the right time from his point of view.

He’s ambitious and for a club like a Derby to come calling when you have zero experience is nothing short of miraculous especially when we tried  that before and that guy effed off as soon has his dream job came up.

So we gave him the job and up to now it’s been entirely unspectacular.

But it’s a new season and we are unbeaten in two so we are happy but he has no credit in the bank. He needs to build some because when things start to go south just watch the Rooney out brigade form up in short order.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Lol. So you're unable to take the hint that I think Rooney is a good thing? ?

Oh no we're doomed to never have a successful manager they all leave us after taking everything we've got to give, sob! Bet you was happy when Mel sacked Mac.

Not at all.

Gary Bowyer would have been a better manager here than Rooney, He's outclassed him twice now.

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

"...any half decent offer from another club he'd be gone, but no other club would touch him with a barge pole."

I disagree. I think he's a "completer-finisher". He sees a project at Derby, something to build-back, in the same way as Nigel Clough did. He's got a vision; sure Derby County have actually got most of the pieces in place, but are in a mess and have been on a downward trajectory since Frank Lampard was videoed singing that Clash song. Wayne is halting the slide, despite the attempts of the EFL, and the reflected schizzle of the Club sale. I see a steeliness and focus about WR that people with real internalised zeal have and they are rare in all walks of life. He's not seeking the glory of Old Trafford, or the Premiership, or the bright lights, he's purely applying himself to doing a job because he has football DNA and he has a deep-rooted belief in himself that he is testing. It's what makes some people "winners", an almost OCD focus. He doesn't need money, he could appear on TV as a Pundit, or offer his services to a Club-project like Salford (Ironically!) but Derby is his Salford and I am finding it totally absorbing to see him in operation. I really want him to succeed because I'm staring to really believe in him. Madame Football may have a different plan as she often does, but we'll see, won't we. 

Derby is his Salford? We're Derby for god's sake, we shouldn't be some project for a first time manager to play with. What has he done to deserve such trust? nearly get us relegated?

Steeliness? Focus? I think you're just choosing to see what you want to see, but the stats don't lie. The collapse last season under Rooney was abysmal and I don't care what anyone says, the quality of players we had should not have sunk that low.  

I wish I had your view but he's given me absolutely no reason to have such optimism.

3 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

Derby is his Salford? We're Derby for god's sake, we shouldn't be some project for a first time manager to play with. What has he done to deserve such trust? nearly get us relegated?

Steeliness? Focus? I think you're just choosing to see what you want to see, but the stats don't lie. The collapse last season under Rooney was abysmal and I don't care what anyone says, the quality of players we had should not have sunk that low.  

I wish I had your view but he's given me absolutely no reason to have such optimism.

There’s no divine right in football.

The telling word is “nearly”. It didn’t happen. 

I’m not choosing to see. I am making sense of bits of evidence that are emerging. 

So, we differ on our observations. I could be right I could be wrong …or you could be. Neither of us knows …yet. 

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Wayne Rooney has an estimated wealth of £122m - whatever reason he's here, it's not for the money. To put that in perspective, if he spent £90k a week, with not a penny of interest, it would be more than 30 years before he needed to worry.

And here I am having to raid savings to pay for car servicing and a new garden shed this month!! The last shed pretty much fell down last winter. I'm only talking 8x6 here!! ?

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I think the players really like him. He's managed to build a good team spirit despite all the poo going on in the background. I genuinely believe he wants the best for Derby, more so than the current hierarchy in charge. He's the only one that's seemingly looking long-term. I'm still no great believer in his ability to become a good manager, but at the very least I can respect that he's focused and seems to be keeping others focused. We should be grateful for that much. 

It's early days, @Ambitious. Only 2 matches in and and possibly lots of angst ahead with (hopefully) occasional brilliance. Your post is an uplifting and honest assessment about where we are at the moment and I guess the season could go either way but I'm feeling a bit more optimistic at the moment. ?

3 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Can you provide anything tangible to support your comment he is on £90k per week?

I accept there was much media comment of that sum for his playing contract (contra’d in major part by 32 Red) but how do you know that he did not accept an alternative contract when taking the managerial reins. I suspect you really have about much idea as I do. None.

Maybe he did but he’ll still be on a lot of money.

I think it’s hugely in his interest to stay at Derby. Walk away and forfeit your pay

Stay and you either get sacked and get a pay out or keep the job. It’s such a good job for him, it’s a win win. If we’re dross and go down, everyone says the circumstances were difficult blah blah and if we stay up he’s done a brilliant job just to keep us up

hed be silly to leave 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

"...any half decent offer from another club he'd be gone, but no other club would touch him with a barge pole."

I disagree. I think he's a "completer-finisher".

Gladdens my heart to see a bit of meredith belbin in the thread. ?

On Wayne, my main misgiving so far is his ability to learn and adapt. 

Last night he made a successful tactical change. About the first I can recall. I'd like to see how that learning is taken across into the league campaign. 

If we start to see progress - eg ravel successfully reinvented as a deep lying playmaker - then I will tip my hat to him. 

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

There’s no divine right in football.

The telling word is “nearly”. It didn’t happen. 

I’m not choosing to see. I am making sense of bits of evidence that are emerging. 

So, we differ on our observations. I could be right I could be wrong …or you could be. Neither of us knows …yet. 

what's the actual evidence?

It was quite ironic to see the two managers on the touchline in the cup game. It could arguably make sense if they had swapped dugouts........ Rooney, with zero experience or qualifications and his Manc connections would have been better suited to a start in coaching at lower league Salford. Whereas Gary Bowyer (or someone like him) an experienced and grounded coach, is just the sort of manager DCFC need at this most difficult time. 

I would like to know where those who are calling for a more "experienced" manager expect us to be if we actually did sack Rooney for one of these managers?.

With a squad full of kids and freebies on 4k a week and a 35 year old striker who isn't actually that good. Where do we actually think we could finish?. 

Most of these so called experienced managers would make having this squad as an excuse for not winning, moaning about how he can't bring in players.

Rooney has, in my opinion, been dealing with this superbly, not once making excuses, but telling us what the situation is and going on to say that he's a fighter and will do everything he can for this club while he's here.

Were not going get top half, hell we'll be lucky to survive but you cannot be calling for his head yet as he still hasn't had the players he wants.

Let's not forget what we achieved WITH Rooney when he had a fully fit squad last season, we pulled away for BOTTOM, didn't concede in 5 games. Then we lost important players to injury.

Like what happened that season with Mac when we had injuries to important players and missed out on the playoffs, did we call his managerial credentials into question when we failed to gain promotion with an ex England manager in charge? No, so why isn't Rooney afforded the same?.

4 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

I think it's ok to want Rooney to do well and support the club while also acknowledging that he hasn't done well so far, was a foolish appointment and the club has devolved into an absolute mess in the last 8 years.

Absolutely. Fans ultimately want the team to win games. Understanding and commenting on the realities, that we have very poor management on and off the field, doesn't make a supporter any less loyal. 

31 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I would like to know where those who are calling for a more "experienced" manager expect us to be if we actually did sack Rooney for one of these managers?.

With a squad full of kids and freebies on 4k a week and a 35 year old striker who isn't actually that good. Where do we actually think we could finish?. 

Most of these so called experienced managers would make having this squad as an excuse for not winning, moaning about how he can't bring in players.

Rooney has, in my opinion, been dealing with this superbly, not once making excuses, but telling us what the situation is and going on to say that he's a fighter and will do everything he can for this club while he's here.

Were not going get top half, hell we'll be lucky to survive but you cannot be calling for his head yet as he still hasn't had the players he wants.

Let's not forget what we achieved WITH Rooney when he had a fully fit squad last season, we pulled away for BOTTOM, didn't concede in 5 games. Then we lost important players to injury.

Like what happened that season with Mac when we had injuries to important players and missed out on the playoffs, did we call his managerial credentials into question when we failed to gain promotion with an ex England manager in charge? No, so why isn't Rooney afforded the same?.

Think there is a slight difference with Bobby Zamora’s goal at Wembley and 1 win in 18 ?