Respect Waz

jimbobram

45 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I understand your sentiments made after a close run win against a lower league Salford side but let's keep our feet on the ground here.

Wayne,as far as we are aware,has no other club to go to,we are his only "upper" league option.

To move onto a more prestigious side he's going to need to show he can both manage a football club and then get results from them with the resources he has available.

If he achieves that (and he has a long way to go) and he starts to attract interest from other clubs,then we will see the extent of his loyalty to the club.

And I'd be astonished if he didn't say he wanted to do well,I should bloody well hope so if he's taken on a football club as manager.

Now,hopefully Wayne is starting to learn from last season and will indeed succeed but it's too early to profess him as the new messiah just yet...lets judge him by his results in the league and the tactics and style of play he then employs.

...to be fair @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong, @jimbobram said we need to give him some time and get fully behind him. @jimbobramnever said or implied he's the Messiah. 

I've as anti-wayne as about anyone on the forum. I really really really thought we should've been way more comfortable in our survival last season than we were.

But, I do respect him for staying. We've started the season with a bit of fight. He seems to be growing in the role. HE seems to be much better at the interviews pre and post - i don't think it's coached, i think he's more at ease with himself and with the job. He probably knows is pretty much a free hit and the blame would rightly go towards the ownership situation, however, I don't pick up any cynicism from in that respect. I think he just believes he's going to do a good job and the team are going to give it a good go.

WIn a few games and I think most, even those disposed against him, will come around.

9 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

My view is that he's staying because he's a tenacious bugger.

This.

To add to the earlier point, someone worth £122m being worried about £90k a week strangely equates (pretty much exactly) to someone with a £500k house doing a job for minimum wage for the money.

122,000,000/500,000 = 90,000/x means x=368, or about £9 an hour for a 40 hour week (minimum wage is £8.91 for over 23s).

The one assumption in this being that he is, actually, on £90k a week - a statement that does not become truth just because people say it a lot.

Edited by BaaLocks

1 hour ago, jimbobram said:

Rooney has had multiple interviews now, where he has been asked the question about walking away. He consistently says no. We have been crying out for stability and loyalty from a manager since Nigel Clough. He arguably has the toughest job of any manager for as long as I can remember supporting Derby (22 years) and despite having a bare minimum squad and having all the problems above him, he continues to show that he cares and wants to do well. 

We are starting to see a style of play which is exciting and attacking with the handful players he has. 

I think it's about time everyone starts to show respect to him instead of wanting him out. Any other manger would have left us in this mess. 

He's sticking with us, we need to stick with him !!

Thanks Colleen, will do. ♥️

I think the players really like him. He's managed to build a good team spirit despite all the poo going on in the background. I genuinely believe he wants the best for Derby, more so than the current hierarchy in charge. He's the only one that's seemingly looking long-term. I'm still no great believer in his ability to become a good manager, but at the very least I can respect that he's focused and seems to be keeping others focused. We should be grateful for that much. 

13 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

You ought to try listening to what other football commentators think about Rooney's situation. Lots of them can't believe how bad it's been. Embargoes, fake sheiks, etc. 

Exactly my point. He's got a free hit with excuses (probably valid) if he fails lined up.

15 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I actually don't think he'd mind going to a lower league club - as has been said he's not in it for the money. He loves football and wants to become a successful football manager. 

If you ask managers, the vast majority would choose managing in the Championship over League 2 regardless of the situation. You never know if your going to get another shot at managing a club in the Championship..

18 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

So I'm glad he's got one of the 'safest jobs' in football, certainly not the easiest, lol. It means we will potentially get to benefit from Rooney becoming a very good manager.

I hope he becomes a good manager one day as well, good for him, it's only nearly cost us relegation in the process of his "learning". Besides, you know that the second he became a good manager he'd be off to another club anyway.

22 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

If he doesn't, well what's one more we've had plenty of failures!!! 

So you're basically saying your happy with failure?

13 minutes ago, DCFC Kicks said:

I don't think it's loyalty really. If he had any half decent offer from another club he'd be gone, but no other club would touch him with a barge pole.

If he quit it would be years before he got another shot at a club the size of Derby, if ever. He'd have to go into League 2 or an academy.

I don't think the situation is even that bad for him personally. He's got almost a free hit while still learning in his first manager role, in the Championship,  with the excuses if he fails ready made. 

He's got one of the safest jobs in the country, any other manager would have been sacked with his record at the end of last season, regardless of the quality of players he had.

"...any half decent offer from another club he'd be gone, but no other club would touch him with a barge pole."

I disagree. I think he's a "completer-finisher". He sees a project at Derby, something to build-back, in the same way as Nigel Clough did. He's got a vision; sure Derby County have actually got most of the pieces in place, but are in a mess and have been on a downward trajectory since Frank Lampard was videoed singing that Clash song. Wayne is halting the slide, despite the attempts of the EFL, and the reflected schizzle of the Club sale. I see a steeliness and focus about WR that people with real internalised zeal have and they are rare in all walks of life. He's not seeking the glory of Old Trafford, or the Premiership, or the bright lights, he's purely applying himself to doing a job because he has football DNA and he has a deep-rooted belief in himself that he is testing. It's what makes some people "winners", an almost OCD focus. He doesn't need money, he could appear on TV as a Pundit, or offer his services to a Club-project like Salford (Ironically!) but Derby is his Salford and I am finding it totally absorbing to see him in operation. I really want him to succeed because I'm staring to really believe in him. Madame Football may have a different plan as she often does, but we'll see, won't we. 

1 hour ago, Jram said:

I’m not convinced it’s courageous tbh when, by walking away, you would forfeit a 90 grand a week pay cheque 

As he is worth £100 million I doubt that the £90k a week is the main decision driver, which in my opinion is the need to be successful as he was as a player. For a lot of driven people it is not about the pay cheque, that is one of the reasons why they are successful.

No.

We've won one game of football in our last 17 competitive fixtures and we need to show respect to the person who has overseen that? We're all aware that the job is a difficult one, but how much longer will this obsequiousness go on for? I used to think the fact that this section of the forum is called "Wayne Rooney's DCFC Fans" was ironic. Apparently not.

Just now, DCFC Kicks said:

Exactly my point. He's got a free hit with excuses (probably valid) if he fails lined up.

If you ask managers, the vast majority would choose managing in the Championship over League 2 regardless of the situation. You never know if your going to get another shot at managing a club in the Championship..

I hope he becomes a good manager one day as well, good for him, it's only nearly cost us relegation in the process of his "learning". Besides, you know that the second he became a good manager he'd be off to another club anyway.

So you're basically saying your happy with failure?

Lol. So you're unable to take the hint that I think Rooney is a good thing? ?

Oh no we're doomed to never have a successful manager they all leave us after taking everything we've got to give, sob! Bet you was happy when Mel sacked Mac.

23 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd imagine he's donating this unnecessary loose change to charity then?

Do you give all your spare change to a charity...? Just saying... It's very easy to just say 'they've got money so they have no problems' but it's all relative. To a starving kid in Ethopia, a poor man here has massively more wealth and will, from his perspective, waste money on 'pointless' stuff (a pint, a cigarette, a branded shirt, etc) so if he doesn't donate all of his 'spare' change, why should a rich man? 

4 minutes ago, Charlotte Ram said:

As he is worth £100 million I doubt that the £90k a week is the main decision driver, which in my opinion is the need to be successful as he was as a player. For a lot of driven people it is not about the pay cheque, that is one of the reasons why they are successful.

Precisely. beautifully put. WR has huge depth when it comes to football. It's his raison d'etre. It's undoubtedly a quality he has picked-up off Fergy. That's not a glib association. 

3 minutes ago, Raich Carter said:

Do you give all your spare change to a charity...? Just saying... It's very easy to just say 'they've got money so they have no problems' but it's all relative. To a starving kid in Ethopia, a poor man here has massively more wealth and will, from his perspective, waste money on 'pointless' stuff (a pint, a cigarette, a branded shirt, etc) so if he doesn't donate all of his 'spare' change, why should a rich man? 

I think you have missed the point there mate.

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I know, @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dongapart from your use of the words " but it's too early to profess him as the new messiah just yet..". Other than those words, that you typed, in your reply, there's no evidence at all. ?

Errr,ok.....

Just reference the part where I attribute those words to the o.p and I'll agree with you...or it could just be you glibly associating them?

Edited by kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong

1 hour ago, DCFC27 said:

Last season he had 

Davies 

Lawrene 

Biliek 

all out injured for most of the time we went on a bad run. Prior to that he proved that he could take a team cut adrift at the bottom of the league in to contention if mid table. 
Then when we did get some players in 

Mengi injured 

Gregory injured 

Then when the season ends and he hopes he can go back to proving himself he has to sign to experienced but ultimately past their prime CBs a goalie who just got relegated and a midfield wild card who hasn’t managed to perform for some of the best managers in English football (sir Alex, big Sam, Chris wilder) if (and a big if) he manages to keep us up again he’ll probably be the best manager we’ve had in recent history! 

He would have been offered a job eventually in the championship if he left after the final game of last season. But he has been fairly brave to come into this season. 

Don’t think he did well last season (for a start, look at our points tally for the last X games). But he is certainly showing more maturity in his comms this season and the style of play is improved. I’d love him to show the doubters they are wrong (I am one of them) and to see him succeed in the long term. 

17 minutes ago, Anon said:

No.

We've won one game of football in our last 17 competitive fixtures and we need to show respect to the person who has overseen that? We're all aware that the job is a difficult one, but how much longer will this obsequiousness go on for? I used to think the fact that this section of the forum is called "Wayne Rooney's DCFC Fans" was ironic. Apparently not.

Context of that is important mind. It's also worth pointing out that last seasons results are no longer relevant. It's not obsequiousness, we are just in a position where we cannot afford to sack him or bring someone else in, so we should just get behind him.