Trusting Sibley and setting up to attack or defend

Carl Sagan

On 07/08/2021 at 19:42, rammieib said:

I want to like Jozwiak but it’s difficult to. That moment he was running through and was too scared to shoot sums him up.

Ravel, Tom and Louis? He won’t do it because of the defensive cover but Id like to see it.

Closer Joz gets to goal, the more scrambled his brain becomes. Rooney likes his work rate - second only to JK - but many managers would have dropped him . I hope we might see an improvement when Beilik returns, Joz played with more polish when he was around 

Here’s the plan….

Imagine the pitch divided up lengthways into 5 strips….

1 2 3 2 1 with 3 centrally being the widest one.

You don’t want players in the same strips occupying the same lines.

He is asking his CB to play a little more narrow than the conventional set up for playing out from the back where the CBs split and leave themselves exposed on turn over. So the CBs come short in zone 3 drawing forwards in for a press. 

The CMs then split and drop deeper but in zone (line) 2 and the FBs push on very high in zone (line) 1.

The 10 now drops into spaces left in zone 3 and the 11 and the 7 come inside and play in zone (line) 2 and get closer to the CF.

Almost like this :-

5.         6.   
      4.                            8.  
2.                                       3.  
            7.               11.  

The aim is to give width with the full backs and an overload with the 4, 8, 10, 7 and 11 in central areas but also to provide defensive strength centrally on the turn over. It’s an alternative or an evolution of Peps inverted full backs. 

One of the problems we had yesterday with this working was the 7 and 11. Joz and Watson. Joz wants to play more as an orthodox winger and stays too wide and he blocks off the areas we wanted to expose for Byrne to get forward. Watson did similar and never quite got into the game enough to enable us to retain possession and get close to CKR. The only real time it worked was for Birds through ball where’s Watson's movement inside was timed perfectly. 

It’s why Sibley looked more effective as he is happier playing in those inside areas, getting in good areas and also stretching the game giving centre backs more to think about allowing CKR more space. 

Ebosele didn’t do it as effectively on the other side and my feelings on Festy are that he is going to suit the system far better coming from the full back position working in line 1 than he will as the 7 or 11 and being asked to play in the pockets. 

Morrison will also suit this system however the jury for me is out on how effective he’ll be and whether he will do the required work out of possession or whether he will change history and perform for longer periods of fine now he has secured a contract. 

In summary, at the moment, Joz may well suit a role from the bench and exploiting tired legs and stretching teams. My front three midfield players would be Morrison / Sibley / Lawrence in any rotation. Watson for me may well be better suited to the Bird role and I see him as his back up ahead of Thompson and the reason Carrol isn’t really needed. 

Edited by Ravabeerbelly

Countless times over the years we've heard fans clamouring for player X to start, normally I've been able to understand where the manager has been coming from when he's not playing be it a settled team doing well, player y who's in the team having done nothing to lose their place or some tactical reason.

This time I genuinely can't see any reason why Sibley is not playing. We're desperately short of goals and he regularly looks like the most likely to score or create something. With CKR playing as a hold up striker we need someone to get in and around him or run past him otherwise we're playing in front of the opposition all the time relying on getting wide and crosses in. Even when we do that we've generally only got one or two in the box as theirs noone pushed on and we're not the best aerially to get on the end of them anyway. Sibley gets ahead of the striker pushing the opposition defence back and provides an extra body in the box which is why I think we always look more dangerous when he's playing.

Add into that he's home grown and one good season with 10-15 goals from him could see him be worth 10 million plus which would help the club massively given our current state. 

For me we should build the team round him but at the very least he needs a consistent run of games in the team, in his best position and not stuck out on the wing, or being dropped after an average game when he's been no worse than anyone else as has been the case over Rooney's tenure.

2 hours ago, Rampage said:

Sibbo is a sub after 60 minutes for me, certainly until we get all our triallists signed up and settled in.

If Sibbo wants to play and start regularly for Wayne then he will have to do what Wayne requires. Same at most clubs really. He should therefore concentrate on those changes as he has enormous potential.

I would love Sibley to start. Maybe another reason Rooney does not, is simply Sibley will get marked out of the game.

At the level we play at, it's much easier to do so, Sibley as much as we want it, isn't going to make a goal out of nothing while being heavily marked every single game.

Better bring him on a little later, when the opponent is more comfortable and used to marking our other player's. Sibley, not being marked as heavily and fresh, not having played the last 60 minutes,  can do what he does best a little easier.

You know what is great about this thread … we aren’t quite as threadbare as we thought we were.

Looking at everyone’s suggestions .. Bielik to come back later in the season. Knighty and Buchanan on the mend. The Sibley question, Watson starting to look more than elementary. Alternatives of Joz and Festy …. We are slow up top but that aside we have a team 

Sibbo, with the right type of manager would be an unbelievable player. 

The one thing this lad does is play without any fear whatsoever and for somebody of his age, is very rare. 

He still has a lot to learn but he’d be one of the first on the team sheet if the majority of Derby fans were picking the team. 

47 minutes ago, jono said:

You know what is great about this thread … we aren’t quite as threadbare as we thought we were.

Looking at everyone’s suggestions .. Bielik to come back later in the season. Knighty and Buchanan on the mend. The Sibley question, Watson starting to look more than elementary. Alternatives of Joz and Festy …. We are slow up top but that aside we have a team 

Watson is better than Holmes was.

I would love to see Sibley play more and I hope he does. But maybe one of the reasons he isn’t is he’s a walking yellow card. He only played 25 mins yesterday and still managed to get himself booked!! He’s got to start controlling that part of his game more.

Its good that with Morrison Sibley and Watson we have options so whoever plays there is going to have to do the business to keep getting picked.

I watched Sibley numerous times for the academy and a few times for the first team. I genuinely haven’t see anything wrong with the lad’s ability to defend or help the defence. He’s much more likely to put his body on the line than 90% of the attacking midfielders in the Championship. He’s also the most accomplished ball carrier this team has, in all honesty that’s not even close to being debatable. 

Sibley has the highest ceiling of any player this club has and he’s the only person we have that is capable of offering what we need. It’s football’s greatest crime that he isn’t in this Derby team week in, week out. It’s a travesty that he has to be at such a poorly run club whilst he’s developing, at least give him the freedom of pride park to generate some excitement for the poor bar stewards that are going to have to sit and watch through the season! 

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Sibbo would have been red carded if his wild slash at the Hudds player had connected. He got a yellow for it without any contact because of the intent.

He will be a regular eventually but he’s still learning his trade.

I would expect him to feature heavily second half of the season.

I doubt this will be true if we're in a scrap. Wazza will be safety first all season.