v Huddersfield (H) Match Thread

Day

8 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You misunderstood my point Angie, what’s going on politically and in society today has almost legitimised the comments the racist made. I detest them. But this is more for the political thread ?

Ah, I see where you're coming from.

But I do agree with @kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong that we are much more aware of how to do something about it these days.

Be warned (not you!) Anybody near me at a football match this season who starts with any racist, homophobic or other crap WILL get reported.

3 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Decent game, good result, could have nicked at the end but a draw is probably a fair result. Most importanly, it was good to go back and watch live football, RD said someting like 517 days i think. I really hope we dont have to go through this again.

We weren't that bad.

50 minutes ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

I think they were at a different game to me. A draw was a fair result. Both teams could have won it near the end. No mention of the penalty incident in the report? Or Lawrence being clear through? I wonder why.

And ‘COVID ravaged’? They had 4 players out! Not exactly ravaged is it - we had as many players out injured but I suppose that didn’t fit the pre-conceived narrative. 

As for the match, I really enjoyed it. We aren’t very good but we battled and that is all you can ask. It is going to be a tough season but if we can get behind them like today we might just be able to stay up. Forsyth was magnificent today and Curtis’ interview after the game just as much so. 

Nice touch by the EFL in stepping in to supply the ref instead of the FA as well. Much appreciated - I love a crap ref, nothing gets us going more! 

COYR

Exactly right, preconceived narrative.

51 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Was showing as just over 27.000 on the DCFC official site earlier.  Think that may have been a miscalculation .?

We got a point and could have won or lost the game. Fair result but lack of concentration is always a factor at some level. Wayne may well be building a squad that could challenge for the top six this season if he gets the players that he wants.

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

We got a point and could have won or lost the game. Fair result but lack of concentration is always a factor at some level. Wayne may well be building a squad that could challenge for the top six this season if he gets the players that he wants.

Blimey Rampage, admire your optimism unless you’ve stayed down the pub, in which case I’d like to know what you’re drinking? Reckon top half would be a tall order, unless we get another striker in.

4 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Blimey Rampage, admire your optimism unless you’ve stayed down the pub, in which case I’d like to know what you’re drinking? Reckon top half would be a tall order, unless we get another striker in.

A lot of seasoned professionals pulling together can do a very good job. 7th to 8th in the league can be miles behind promotion potential 

First of all I LOVED being back at Pride Park. I was so happy that we cheered the lads on and despite the problems engulfing the club that did not seep through. I honestly thought it could go toxic today but it was anything but. Yes, the attendance was very thin but at times especially during the first half it felt just like there were 30,000 in the ground tbh. Hopefully, despite what will be a very difficult season we keep up that level of support. I've just got back after going for a dinner with the gf post game so my thoughts may be a bit scattergun.

I don't think the stearman/davies combo worked, even against a reduced Huddersfield attack they looked shaky as soon as 1 vs 1 happened and they got in behind quite a few times. Changed my mind on Roos after today i think, made at least 2 very good saves that kept us level.  I love Davies and he should start but Stearman's positioning is way too off for someone with his lack of pace. Both of them together for the season is asking for us to concede an average of close to 2 a game.  This was almost as poor an attacking unit against us as I can remember but they still had 3-4 pretty solid chances and plenty of half chances.  I'd honestly try one of the younger lads like Cashin and take our chances by giving us some cover.

In midfield Shinnie looked good and Bird was more settled second half. I still don't like the combination and again they failed to really give us enough either defensively or going forward. It's not that they're individually bad but together they just don't work. 

Going forward we need to start Sibley, only when he came on did we even look like stretching their backline. I know people are fans of watson but we need someone stretching and moving ahead to give space in the midfield and that is Sibley. The goals are a big concern as chance creation was very slim on the ground. I can't think of a chance beyond the set piece and lawrence intercepting a ball that we created all game. 

Despite the very hard work and effort we barely scraped a draw against a reduced huddersfield team that didn't look good themselves. Defensively we looked fragile and didn't offer enough going forward. I'm  not pinning the blame on anyone as there were no obvious errors but to put it simply at this level atm we're not good enough to stay in the division. 

13 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Lionel Messi decides to sign for Derby, he goes into the changing room to find all his team mates looking a bit glum.

"What's up?" He asks. "Well, we're having trouble getting motivated for this game. We know it's important but it's only Huddersfield. They're poo and we can't be bothered".

Messi looks at them and says "Well I reckon I can beat them by myself, you lads go down the pub." So Messi goes out to play Huddersfield by himself and the rest of the Derby team go off for a few beers.

After a few pints they wonder how the game is going, so they get the landlord to put the TV on. A big cheer goes up as the screen shows "Derby 1 (Messi 10 minutes) – Huddersfield 0 He is beating Huddersfield all by himself! Anyway, a few more beers later and the game is forgotten until someone remembers "It must be full time now, let's see how he got on" They put the TV on. "Result Derby 1 (Messi 10 minutes) – Huddersfield 1 (Holmes 89 minutes).

They can't believe it, he has single handed got a draw against Huddersfield! They rush back to the Stadium to congratulate him. They find him in the dressing room, still in his gear, sat with his head in his hands. He refuses to look at them. "I've let you down I've let you down" "Don't be stupid Lionel, you got a draw against Huddersfield all by yourself. And they only scored at the very very end!" Messi says "No, No, I have, I've let you down!. I got sent off after 12 minutes!"

That is Gold. Thankyou very much, this has made me laugh out loud.

2 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You misunderstood my point Angie, what’s going on politically and in society today has almost legitimised the comments the racist made. I detest them. But this is more for the political thread ?

Have to say I think that's nonsense, Jimbo. Can't see where you're coming from with this one.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Have to say I think that's nonsense, Jimbo. Can't see where you're coming from with this one.

Maybe you should keep half an eye on what's happening on planet earth while you're dreaming of Mars?