A goal-scorer away from a good team?

RoyMac5

Depends what you'd define as a "good" team really... good enough for what?

Good enough to stay up, maybe. But it's still going to be a largely brand-new team of players at the later stages of their careers, thrown together. They'd have trained together for a little while, however the jury is definitely out as to whether the management team could get enough from it to survive.

Realistically, whether we sign zero players or an entirely new team, given the turmoil this club has been in lately, I'd take finishing 21st right now. Hopefully the team is 'good' enough to be capable of that.

46 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Goalkeeper - good

Fullbacks - good

CBs - good (with free agents)

Midfield - good (with Bielik)

Forwards - missing a goal-scorer

Like the optimism but at centre back we are not good, even with free agents signed. Goalkeepers are inconsistent. Midfield with Bielik is decent but still need something else in there. In forward areas we are missing more than just a goal scorer. We need more pace and power. We just need more players all over the park. I believe we will sign some players but whether they are good enough to make us look a decent team, I'm not sure. 

Didnt we win the league in 74/75 with about 5 players scoring 10-12 goals?

Flip side, didnt Clive Allen score 33 league goals in 86/87, 49 in total for the season yet they won nothing?

Rather have a team of goalscorers than just one

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Much though I love CKR I think we really need a 15/20 goals a season striker (doesn't everyone)!

I think if we could find/sign one then we've definitely got the bones of a good team, especially with Bielik fit.

What do you reckon?

Allowing for the bare bones nature of our entire set up .. CKR needs a foil .. he needs either runners in the Mac style with Roy’s protege CM, or a close on clinical strike partner to pick up the bits. Something we have been missing for an age .. even pre meltdown. It’s old fashioned, but you either do 433 with wide men and critically… willing front foot AM’s supporting the middle .. OR You need a big and and a little un .. CKR doesn’t have that in either shape. 

I'm not sure there are many 15/20 goal a season strikers around on a free transfer. Failing that I would take either Gregory or Baldock in the short term as CZR's back up under the circumstances or maybe we could get a young CF on loan ?

8 hours ago, Franks Tanked said:

Teemu Pukki signed for Norwich on a free and has banged in loads of goals. If only we had signed players like that instead of the costly Marriott and Waghorn. 

what norwich did was get a player in who complimented their system.  ie their scouting department did their job. instead of the scattergun transfer policy weve implemented over the last 6 years 

what didnt help us tho was changing managers, all with  a completely  different tactical approach to each other

20 minutes ago, Stockport Ram said:

Marshall and Byrne to Celtic, possibly sharing a taxi with Buchanan, as the fire sale continues.

Just the XI away from a good championship team then - Ten when Bielik is fit.

Don’t forget a competent manager. 

11 hours ago, Ambitious said:

Goalkeeper - below average 

full backs - average 

centre backs - bad (with free agents) catastrophic (without free agents)

Defensive midfield - good (with Bielik) and below average without Bielik.

attacking midfield - below average 

strikers - bad, as good as CKR can be on his day. 

I think if we can sign a couple of good centre backs, similar to Matt Clarke’s level and stay away from injuries then we will stay up. In order to be competitive with the likes of Sheff Utd and Fulham then we would need to improve in every aspect. 

Sheff and Fulham I would say are above average for this season.

I think the “average” level is more like Millwall, Stoke, Preston type. This would move a few of the bellow average into average.

Not saying it’s not disappointing to measure our selves at mid table, but we are where we are.

13 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Much though I love CKR I think we really need a 15/20 goals a season striker (doesn't everyone)!

I think if we could find/sign one then we've definitely got the bones of a good team, especially with Bielik fit.

What do you reckon?

you said that the team last season wasn't good enough to even stay up and we're now a lot worse off than that ?

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Goalkeeper - good

Fullbacks - good

CBs - good (with free agents)

Midfield - good (with Bielik)

Forwards - missing a goal-scorer

Goalkeepers - good ????

really ? 

both are error prone and I’m consistent 

it’s as bad a goalkeeping situation as I can remember for a while tbh 

remember growing up we we’re always quite blessed in that department 

mark wallington, shilton, Taylor , poom etc