A goal-scorer away from a good team?

RoyMac5

15 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Don't forget Martin scored 21 league goals that season too.

At the moment we have no prolific striker and few others in the strike force or midfield who can share them out either.

We are knackered in all depts.

I think the 13/14 season and Martin are a great example to look at with a view on our current issues. Martin before that season really wasn't known for his goalscoring having only hit double figures twice (both at a level lower than the championship). At a broad view there was little indication that he was capable of hitting the kinds of figures he would for us. The same is true of Bryson whose best tally before that season was 6. So what changed ? Coaching, tactics and the right mix of playing staff. 

Where on the flip side you have us last season where a significant number of players were not scoring at rate you'd expect

Waghorn 12 -> 5

Lawrence 10 -> 3

Knight 6 -> 2

Jozwiak 9 -> 2

Sibley 5 -> 1

Now this is a crude analysis by any measure and I bring it up because I think it illustrates that there was arguably a deeper rooted problem at play and just putting in a goal scorer might not have changed things. You could bring up it was missing Martin and Martin did contribute 17 direct goal contributions the season before of which only 10 were "replaced" by CKR. So that debatably explains away 7 goals but what about the other 19 ? Where did they go ?

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

Yeah?

I think you've left it a bit late to offer your services for this season, maybe a trial  next year?

Anyone got Wayne's mobile number?

???

Got to love auto text… I’d like to say that’s my biggest gaff with it .. but it’s not ???

22 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Goalkeeper - good

Fullbacks - good

CBs - good (with free agents)

Midfield - good (with Bielik)

Forwards - missing a goal-scorer

I applaud your optimism but afraid this season has dismal written all over it. Even with the trialists, we are hugely limited and lacking quality and energy in all areas. Add the circus / cloud enveloping the club for the last few years and it has all the ingredients for another relegation battle if not capitulation.

The only thing that might save us is some seige mentality but for that you need commanding leadership and I'm not sure the Rooney / Lawrence combo is going to give us that!

I'm normally very positive but I fear the worst.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well? What a difference it made tonight bringing CKR on 2nd half.

Good signing by the previous manager  don’t you think Macca ? I am sure you regret that ridiculous post from earlier on, felt embarrassed for you, so will let that go this time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Bald Eagle's Barmy Army said:

I agree but also CKR would have made a difference in the first part of the season. We missed him more than I thought we would. 

Missed a sitter again today, hit the woodwork in two previous games. He's good for us, but he's not a 'natural' goal-scorer.

Edited by RoyMac5

Strange that Rooney stated the reason for not having Stretton in the squad. Being down to match fitness, well I hope he's proved his match fitness in the U23s and gets a chance in the 1st team. Poor old Baldock got 21 mins today and only got one touch on the ball and Rooney took him off.

7 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Strange that Rooney stated the reason for not having Stretton in the squad. Being down to match fitness, well I hope he's proved his match fitness in the U23s and gets a chance in the 1st team. Poor old Baldock got 21 mins today and only got one touch on the ball and Rooney took him off.

Maybe he means Stretton isn't strong enough yet. CKR is a beast.  

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Why did Baldock get subbed in the first half was he injured?

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

On the matchday thread, folks are reporting Baldock told the bench he was injured.

Stretton has been injured, nothing to do with his strength.

3 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

But Jack Stretton is our only natural out and out goalscorer and if Rooney needs him to get better (if he's match fit), give him 1st team football. If he's not strong enough and gets knocked over as much as Knight, the chances are we will get more penalties.

5 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

But Jack Stretton is our only natural out and out goalscorer and if Rooney needs him to get better (if he's match fit), give him 1st team football. If he's not strong enough and gets knocked over as much as Knight, the chances are we will get more penalties.

Err he's currently injured.