Waghorn - What a (final?) performance!

drgoodspeak

47 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fantastic performance. But one good game doesn't make up for an appalling season. It's good he can leave on a high, but there's no way I'd give new contracts too any of Wisdom, Davies or Waghorn, unless they take a 90% cut in wages. And even then, Davies is a top bloke but he's ended his career in a good way (I thank him for that) and I reckon it's time to hang up his boots, not risk his body anymore and begin the glittering media career he's so obviously cut out for.

Gave you a like, though I do think a 90% wage cut is a tad harsh. I'd hate to have to negotiate a contract with you!

Ref Curtis, I'd much rather he resisted the easy cash lure of playing lip service to Aunty BBC and had 'a glittering career' as part of our coaching team. Whilst the likes of Rosenior have clearly polished their media skills, Curtis is just as smart, but for my mind, he offers a deal more substance in what he says. He seems to have a real affinity for Derby and I'd take him in a flash, badges or no badges.   

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fantastic performance. But one good game doesn't make up for an appalling season. It's good he can leave on a high, but there's no way I'd give new contracts too any of Wisdom, Davies or Waghorn, unless they take a 90% cut in wages. And even then, Davies is a top bloke but he's ended his career in a good way (I thank him for that) and I reckon it's time to hang up his boots, not risk his body anymore and begin the glittering media career he's so obviously cut out for.

It would be nice to see someone in the media who has a fond affinity for Derby county. Someone with a smile on their face in that sky studio after the match yesterday. 

5 hours ago, drgoodspeak said:

Been a tough season for him especially, but man did he deliver in that game yesterday.

Just watching the highlights again. He effectively kept us up. Nearly cut himself in two on the post, scored the header, great hold-up and chest down for Roberts, slotted Jozwiak through and had the balls to hammer in a superb penalty.

His Derby career has been a very mixed bag and I feared the worst first minute when the ball pinged about 10 yards off his shin and he went steaming into the challenge, thankfully missing the guy.

I’ll take his mixed bag career for what he fid yesterday. I’m quite sure that’s it for him here, so all the best and thanks for yesterday!

As honest a footballer as you will ever see. Even to admitting his ‘poor run of form’ in his interview a couple of months back. 

Has had trouble getting on the same wavelength as those around him of late. 

4 hours ago, TigerTedd said:

It would be nice to see someone in the media who has a fond affinity for Derby county. Someone with a smile on their face in that sky studio after the match yesterday. 

I've met Curtis in hospitality a few times as he's always a good person to put forward in terms of how well he speaks. But I was always struck by coming across him on Wembley Way for the last playoff final, when he'd been frozen out of the team but was making his way from the Tube to the ground to support us and seemed so desperate for us to go up. Same for Timi Elsnik supporting us that day despite being released. 

Should have quoted @86 Hair Islandstoo sorry. Curtis would be a great coach if we didn't already seem to have more coaches than players. And while you may be right on salaries, our club is in a parlous financial state and I feel/hope there will be a reset in nonsensical player wages after the Covid lockdown. It has to stop. Contracts coming to an end is a good time to stop it, even if we might think it's not realistic. We've seemingly paid way over the odds for far too long. 

If we can get him on a reduced wage, more bonus incentives. I'd be tempted to offer him something. 

Otherwise we'd only have to stump up some cash for a player of equal or less ability, cash which we don't have.

He has been so frustrating this season, but if he can get back to putting in 7/10 performances in regularly. I'll be happy with that.

He’s got good technical ability. He’s been disappointing this season but a decent striker with him and Lawrence either side was a catalyst to a lot of decent performances in previous times. 

We get Bielik fit, get in a striker who can bring players into the mix who’s hip isn’t hanging on with a bit of chewing gum, get in a solid defender to partner Menghi, bring Roberts back. Could be transformative. I’m not saying play offs but with these things I’d be confident of steering clear of trouble a lot earlier. 

Been a pretty staunch Waggy supporter but I have struggled with his form this season. Against the Wendies he showed us all that's good about his game; the strength, the work-rate, a deftly taken header, a sweetly struck penalty with that left foot that can at times be like a wand and his dogged determination in holding up the ball for Roberts' goal.

That said,  I'm still left puzzling over the balance of this season though as he did seem to disappear down a rabbit hole, only to reappear on the last day. I suspect that contract terms will determine his future, here or away from the club and this is one of those times that I'm happy I don't have to make the call. As I said before, whatever the upshot, I wish him well.

34 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

He’s got good technical ability. He’s been disappointing this season but a decent striker with him and Lawrence either side was a catalyst to a lot of decent performances in previous times. 

We get Bielik fit, get in a striker who can bring players into the mix who’s hip isn’t hanging on with a bit of chewing gum, get in a solid defender to partner Menghi, bring Roberts back. Could be transformative. I’m not saying play offs but with these things I’d be confident of steering clear of trouble a lot earlier. 

See this is where I struggle with Waghorn. His ball control is poor. When the ball is played into him, he often has to run to retrieve it after it bounces off a shin.

He has energy and power and has a good left foot.

I think he would admit he’s had a poor season.

I wonder if he benefited from the fact it was such an open game and therefore easier to find space. He also didn’t need to keep the ball under the normal pressure applied in the championship.

He definitely has the type of spirit required but if we do get money to spend, he may be one who goes.

Waggy has had a really poor season but then who hasn’t. You look at the attacking players and only Kazim can say he’s had a good season.

At this level Waghorn is a decent player. He’s been a decent player for us prior to this season and when we needed him most he fronted up with a brave performance and possibly one of his best performances in a Rams shirt.

If we had paid £2.5m for him we would be lauding him. That’s the issue, we massively overpaid but that’s not his fault. Not the best player technically but honest pro, always has been. If it can be on the right terms I would give him a new contract, simply because whatever happens with takeovers I can’t see any scenario where we are going to have money to spend therefore we need to keep any experience we can if it makes sense financially.

No one ever criticised Waghorn’s effort, but at the end of the day, that’s all it is because the ability isn’t there.

First couple of minutes on Saturday he did the standard Waghorn of being unable to trap a bag of cement then lunging into a slide tackle to try and make up for it which gave away a free kick. Not much in a vacuum, but when that’s the exact way his last 2 straight refs came from and he’s doing it on his first involvement in a massive game it just shows he still hasn’t remotely learnt anything. 

We need as much of a fresh start as possible, so I’d be certainly moving on for a younger model. 

I won’t forget his antics on the pitch after we beat Leeds in the play offs . He has had zero service all season . He has moved around a lot in his career. I have no doubt he will go to the likes of Cardiff and with the right service he will be banging goals in next season. Cheers mate.

Lots of good points about Waggy and I have been as frustrated by him as many others this season. 

However, I do wonder how much he has been affected by his changed relationship with Rooney in the transition from team mate to manager? The fact that Rooney himself called out how difficult that was, I can understand how Waghorn might have felt about it.

He has also had a new baby, sleepless nights to deal with. 

I think he may have had a few training and fitness issues after his injury too. He is certainly looking leaner and sharper after his recent run of games.

Others have said, he's not had a regular run in any one position this season. When he's played as part of a front two, he's looked better.

Off the pitch, his family seem settled in Derby, his son plays for the academy now. Moving is an expensive upheaval! He may be happy to stay on reduced terms and if so, I would be happy to have him around. 

I don't think he was on huge wages anyway from figures I have seen on here (although how anyone knows these things is anyone's guess!)

10 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

He's better than Wednesday or Ipswich, but why would Watford want him?

No he's not. That's exactly who should be looking at him - or do you think this season has an excuse. Plus even Waghorn said he should have scored the 'post slammer' attempt. He needs too many chances.

10 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We aren't offering Waghorn a new deal. It was a great final performance and he may get a good move because of it. I can see him joining a team like Bristol or Stoke. 

We can offer what we like but its not going to be near what they have been receiving but on the wider front there are going to be stacks of unemployed footballers this summer if they choose not to take the offers on the table - Tom Huddlestone is a good example