Wayne Rooney

EdinRam

Freedom of Derby  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People are saying he deserves financial backing. People are saying he deserves a transfer window. People are saying he deserves his own hand-picked coaching team.

If it had been a closely contested battle all the way down to the last day, I could understand this point.

If Rotherham and Wednesday had produced incredible form to keep us in danger, I could understand this point.

But it wasn’t always close. At the end of February, we were 9 points clear of Rotherham and 10 points clear of Wednesday. It’s down to 2 and 3 points respectively now.

But Rotherham and Wednesday haven’t produced incredible form. Wednesday have picked up 12 points in 13 games since. Rotherham have picked up 12 points in 14 games.

For us, it has been a capitulation of the highest order and any signs of optimism from Rooney’s early tenure have vanished faster than a burger from my plate. 

And some of us want to reward Rooney with more time in the job? I can’t believe what I am reading.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

People are saying he deserves financial backing. People are saying he deserves a transfer window. People are saying he deserves his own hand-picked coaching team.

If it had been a closely contested battle all the way down to the last day, I could understand this point.

If Rotherham and Wednesday had produced incredible form to keep us in danger, I could understand this point.

But it wasn’t always close. At the end of February, we were 9 points clear of Rotherham and 10 points clear of Wednesday. It’s down to 2 and 3 points respectively now.

But Rotherham and Wednesday haven’t produced incredible form. Wednesday have picked up 12 points in 13 games since. Rotherham have picked up 12 points in 14 games.

For us, it has been a capitulation of the highest order and any signs of optimism from Rooney’s early tenure have vanished faster than a burger from my plate. 

And some of us want to reward Rooney with more time in the job? I can’t believe what I am reading.

I completely agree and as you know I was firmly in the Rooney camp. When his points per game was around mid-table form and people were calling for his head I disagreed. I genuinely thought we were going to get around 52-54 points by season end, and survive reasonably comfortably. I didn’t think we were in danger at all because I thought Rotherham and Wednesday would do exactly what they’ve done. I did not think for one second we would lose 6 on the spin and be fighting it out with them on the last day. You are right it is a capitulation of the highest order and one even the biggest pessimists did not see coming. We have had 6 opportunities to survive as it transpires!! SIX! It’s a joke.

And therefore whatever happens on Saturday I’ve lost all faith and hope he goes. However I think if we stay up he will stay. If that happens, there’s no point getting on his or the teams back, let’s see what he does in the summer and back them at the start of next season. But a couple of defeats or any hint of the tactics that have been shown this season then it will become toxic very quickly. In that event , while I’m not one for sacking managers I would hope Alonso (if he’s the owner by then) would do a Forest and be decisive, however many games it is into the season.

21 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And therefore whatever happens on Saturday I’ve lost all faith and hope he goes. However I think if we stay up he will stay. If that happens, there’s no point getting on his or the teams back, let’s see what he does in the summer and back them at the start of next season.

This in abundance.

Right now I very much want him gone whatever happens. But, if he's here next season, I'll be hoping for him to succeed. I want every match to be the start of a never ending golden age.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

This in abundance.

Right now I very much want him gone whatever happens. But, if he's here next season, I'll be hoping for him to succeed. I want every match to be the start of a never ending golden age.

Agree with every word. 

I'd eat humble pie all day every day if Rooney is a long term success at Derby.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

This in abundance.

Well I don't see why he couldn't have a very successful recruiting campaign in summer.

The (cheap) Jan loans were exactly what we needed. Can't blame Rooney for their injuries.

Fans had been suggesting areas that needed improving: a striker, a wide man, a midfielder and two centre halves were spot on. If it hadn't have been Jan and/or he'd been allowed some more money then who knows...

FWIW I think if Gregory had stayed fit we'd have scored enough to have got the points needed by now.

50 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Now that I do agree with.

I think it’s reasonable to say he’s not been able to work in the best environment. Inherited a circus team, bottom of the league, in a shortened season, under a transfer umbongo, with no fans allowed in,  and an owner trying to offload the club to tyre-kickers and snake charmers. 

Id forgive anyone for sympathising with him, however, hindsight would suggest he wasn’t ready for such a challenge. 

1 hour ago, Jourdan said:

People would imply more than one person? Surely not.

If Rooney is still in charge next season I really hope he brings in more experienced coaches..as has been said by others, a manager needs good people around them..our defensive and attacking coaches don't appear to have done much of a job this season..certainly an experienced second in command would be a must have.

42 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And therefore whatever happens on Saturday I’ve lost all faith and hope he goes. However I think if we stay up he will stay. If that happens, there’s no point getting on his or the teams back, let’s see what he does in the summer and back them at the start of next season. But a couple of defeats or any hint of the tactics that have been shown this season then it will become toxic very quickly. In that event , while I’m not one for sacking managers I would hope Alonso (if he’s the owner by then) would do a Forest and be decisive, however many games it is into the season.

I think that summarises my views and I suspect many others. 

Rooney got the job in my view in somewhat murky circumstances. That's gone. 

He then did sufficiently well to justify getting the permanent gig. I said that and I'm not claiming any great original thought so I'm probably in the majority. 

Subsequently we have seen many poor indicators of Rooney’s managerial capability. But there's just enough mitigation not to condemn him completely. That I think is the RoyMac5 position. 

So we fall back on a simple kpi..stay up and therefore get some proper backing, or fail and be damned. 

I don't think that's unreasonable, although like some others I think we will improve next season even if Wazza is backed. That's just an opinion though...not a rigorous analysis. 

Just now, Van der MoodHoover said:

I think that summarises my views and I suspect many others. 

Rooney got the job in my view in somewhat murky circumstances. That's gone. 

He then did sufficiently well to justify getting the permanent gig. I said that and I'm not claiming any great original thought so I'm probably in the majority. 

Subsequently we have seen many poor indicators of Rooney’s managerial capability. But there's just enough mitigation not to condemn him completely. That I think is the RoyMac5 position. 

So we fall back on a simple kpi..stay up and therefore get some proper backing, or fail and be damned. 

I don't think that's unreasonable, although like some others I think we will improve next season even if Wazza is backed. That's just an opinion though...not a rigorous analysis. 

Sorry.. Missed a "don't" in the final paragraph. 

I don't think we'll improve with Wazza. 

Thanks for the Rooney-period "form" table.

And wow! I didn't expect the Rooney's Derby to be as high as that - expecting fourth from bottom.

Are we allowed to praise Rooney for getting better results than five other teams during the period that he was in charge? 

Or am I just being too insensitive to everyone?

(I was surprised though. I had the impression that he's been a total failure!)

6 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Thanks for the Rooney-period "form" table.

And wow! I didn't expect the Rooney's Derby to be as high as that - expecting fourth from bottom.

Are we allowed to praise Rooney for getting better results than five other teams during the period that he was in charge? 

Or am I just being too insensitive to everyone?

(I was surprised though. I had the impression that he's been a total failure!)

Wazza was appointed in sole charge on a temporary contract, then following good results got the permanent role. 

So I think there are material discontinuities in the data in those discrete periods.