Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?

IslandExile

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Relegation would obviously be best avoided if possible. The amount of damage relegation would cause is dependant on who would be sold. A large number of U23s would be catapulted into the first team.

As mentioned in another thread, I'd expect the following to be sold: Marshall, Byrne, Buchanan, Bird, Knight  Shinnie, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Marriott.

Roos, Foster, Ebosele, McDonald, Davies, Solomon, JBrown, Forsyth, Archie, Bielik, LThompson, Hutchinson, Watson, Ibe, Shonibare, JML, Wilson, Kazim, Stretton

Would 5 or 6 signings be enough to win promotion?

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Relegation would obviously be best avoided if possible. The amount of damage relegation would cause is dependant on who would be sold. A large number of U23s would be catapulted into the first team.

As mentioned in another thread, I'd expect the following to be sold: Marshall, Byrne, Buchanan, Bird, Knight  Shinnie, Sibley, Lawrence, Jozwiak, Marriott.

Roos, Foster, Ebosele, McDonald, Davies, Solomon, JBrown, Forsyth, Archie, Bielik, LThompson, Hutchinson, Watson, Ibe, Shonibare, JML, Wilson, Kazim, Stretton

Would a season in L1 be a bit like a loan for the younger lads just coming up from the U23's? 

So expect most of them to stay but only for the season. They'd be off if we didnt bounce back up. 

6 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Would a season in L1 be a bit like a loan for the younger lads just coming up from the U23's? 

So expect most of them to stay but only for the season. They'd be off if we didnt bounce back up. 

Depends how much they improve during the season I guess.

If we wouldn't finish top 6 then I can't imagine many (if any) would then be ready to step up to the Championship.

13 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Problem is what team would want to buy the players you have mentioned to be sold? That’s more a less out starting 11 which could end up getting us relegated! Unless managers seem to think they can get better out of them which begs the question why can’t our manager do it?

16 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Roll up roll up!

really?

It’s never good to go down. But it won’t be the unmitigated disaster that some make out.

If the takeover doesn’t go through Mel won’t plunge us into administration. We’ll have less revenue but it isn’t the stark drop from premier league funding to championship, and whatever happens (providing things get vaguely back to normal ) our revenues will be higher next season than this season with fans back in stadiums and corporate facilities open again regardless of whether or not we are relegated. Only Sunderland could match or beat our revenues in league one, we would be a powerhouse at that level. 

We are 137 years old. In that time we’ve spent 5 seasons in the third division. Someone may correct me but have we ever been in the bottom division?  

It would’nt be easy necessarily as Leeds Forest and Sheff United and Wednesday can testify but we will find our level again which is a second division club as a minimum. 

Hull sold their 2 best players plunged to relegation with a hopeless squad and owners who will no longer put any money in. They will be back in the championship at the first attempt. No reason why we can’t.

Edited by BramcoteRam84

Myself I think it would be a duckin’ disgrace. Dress it up however you like,  there is no positive to being in the third tier unless you’ve just won promotion from the fourth.

Two year’s ago we were at Wembley hoping for a place with the great and the good in the Promised Land and now we’re being asked if a spell in League 1 be a good thing ? I’m lost for words.

Wrote a post in the last days of Cocu’s reign that the problems at Derby were much more deep rooted than a change in management. That I felt the club as a whole needed to reach a rock bottom moment in which the players, staff, employees, fans and media collectively say enough is enough and reach a turning point. There’s too much disorganisation, misplaced loyalties, a lack of leadership from top to bottom. A change in management wasn’t going to disguise that, or at least not long term.

Got pelted for it at the time, it was actually the first of a few instances that put me off contributing as regularly truth be told. Anyway I kinda sat back and let it play out. I’ll admit I thought we may have turned the corner a few times, but because we hadn’t reached that rock bottom we were never too far from a poor result. In my opinion, sometimes even a good performance was enough to think we were too good to go down and made us stop looking over our shoulder.  It’s being delusional, and we’ve been delusional for a while, and that’s why we are seriously flirting with relegation.

To cut what could be a much much longer post short I’ll repeat what I said in the last days of Cocu, its not about relegation or survival it’s about saying enough is enough and dragging yourself out of the mess one way or another.

1 minute ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It’s never good to go down. But it won’t be the unmitigated disaster that some make out.

If the takeover doesn’t go through Mel won’t plunge us into administration. 

I’m sorry but Mel is the problem! Until he’s gone this club will just keep sinking while others clubs keep laughing at us

20 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Maybe if we were playing in league 2. Think we will struggle in league 1 if we go down,  it's very physical and ugly and our players will be bullied. 

Edited by Marriot Ram99

From a humiliation & financial point of view, I couldn't ever see relegation to League One as a good thing.

However if we do go down, we have to make the best of it & see it as a much needed opportunity for a reset. Our greatest assets seem to be our young players & I would clear the decks of any established players on large wages.

Goes without saying, Rooney should 100% go if we go down to cleanse this club of the celebrity obsession it has remorsely chased since 2015. No more Billy bigtime or quick fixes. A young & hungry manager (with a good record elsewhere) and a young & hungry squad is what this club needs...I'd just rather it was in the Championship.

Edited by LeedsCityRam

2 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

I’m sorry but Mel is the problem! Until he’s gone this club will just keep sinking while others clubs keep laughing at us

So who do you think is continuing to bankroll us? A club losing god knows how many million during the pandemic, and if his backing wasn’t there where would we be? ??‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Marriott Ram99 said:

Maybe if we were playing in league 2. Think we will struggle in league 1 if we go down,  it's very physical and ugly and our players will be bullied. 

We'd still have Davies, Forsyth, Bielik and Kazim. Ebosele would outmuscle most players too. Add a few signings in there and I don't think physicality would be the issue. My concern is whether the remaining youngsters are ready for L1 ability wise.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Things are now really bad.

Worst squad we've had for a very long time.

Newbie manager who seems to be having little impact.

One failed takeover after another.

I was afraid of us being relegated but I'm now starting to see that there could be a positive side to it.

Chance to regroup. Clear the decks. Review the management team - at the very least. Thank the players out of contract or not pulling their weight.

Build a team around the quality youngsters. Establish a way of playing. Win a few games, heck score a few goals even.

Forget Sunderland and Portsmouth, there are enough examples of teams that have dropped down and come back much stronger..... Southampton, the Dirties, Leicester, and this season: Hull.

Heck even Derby in the 80s - thanks to Arthur Cox. And for those of us who lived through it, it was a lot of fun, a damn sight more than we're having at the moment.

So, it may not be such a bad thing.

The counter argument is that we won't find a buyer, Mel will pull the plug in terms of cash and we'll go into Administration and sink further into the mire.

Can't vote in your poll because it gives two stark choices.

I don't think it would be a good thing because I think the financial hit would be so much bigger than it was in the eighties and therefore I think we would find it much harder to keep our current structure and bounce back quickly.

But might I find it refreshing if it did some of the things you state? Yes, I probably would. I would definitely enjoy the games more if only for the variety! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

Can't vote in your poll because it gives two stark choices.

I don't think it would be a good thing because I think the financial hit would be so much bigger than it was in the eighties and therefore I think we would find it much harder to keep our current structure and bounce back quickly.

But might I find it refreshing if it did some of the things you state? Yes, I probably would. I would definitely enjoy the games more if only for the variety! 

This.

Word for word.

I do think whatever happens, we have to grasp the postives of either outcome and rebuild. 

Just now, BramcoteRam84 said:

So who do you think is continuing to bankroll us? A club losing god knows how many million during the pandemic, and if his backing wasn’t there where would we be? ??‍♂️

I’m not on about his backing. I’m on about his decisions! He can keep putting money into the club but if he’s constantly making bad decisions he’s going to end up losing it quicker than he’s put in.