Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?

IslandExile

Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We'd still have Davies, Forsyth, Bielik and Kazim. Ebosele would outmuscle most players too. Add a few signings in there and I don't think physicality would be the issue. My concern is whether the remaining youngsters are ready for L1 ability wise.

Davies probably won't play again, Bielik will be sold or will be injured here a la Thorne on a wage we can't afford, Richards had his 10 game swansong and has looked every minute of his age over the last 7 or 8 games.  If Ebosele is anywhere near decent he'll get a championship move or shift to lower prem U23 side during a fire sale.

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Bielik wouldn't drop a league. Is Davies still with us next season? Fozzy isn't one to put himself about.

Bielik is injured - can't see anyone coming in for him until he proves his fitness.

Davies' contract expires in the summer, but we'd probably look at extending it for a season given his experience will be vital in such a young side.

3 minutes ago, JayRam1 said:

I’m not on about his backing. I’m on about his decisions! He can keep putting money into the club but if he’s constantly making bad decisions he’s going to end up losing it quicker than he’s put in.

That wasn’t my point. While he’s around we’re not going into administration and therefore we won’t go through league 1 into league 2 as some seem to think we will.

You can criticise his decisions and many have, but it’s easy to blame him. Hasn’t he just tried to help us compete in an unfair playing field?

FWIW I think he made huge mistakes but mostly in his first couple of seasons. Unfortunately the ridiculous FFP rules mean we’re still paying the price for those decisions 4 or 5 years later.

1 hour ago, IslandExile said:

Things are now really bad.

Worst squad we've had for a very long time.

Newbie manager who seems to be having little impact.

One failed takeover after another.

I was afraid of us being relegated but I'm now starting to see that there could be a positive side to it.

Chance to regroup. Clear the decks. Review the management team - at the very least. Thank the players out of contract or not pulling their weight.

Build a team around the quality youngsters. Establish a way of playing. Win a few games, heck score a few goals even.

Forget Sunderland and Portsmouth, there are enough examples of teams that have dropped down and come back much stronger..... Southampton, the Dirties, Leicester, and this season: Hull.

Heck even Derby in the 80s - thanks to Arthur Cox. And for those of us who lived through it, it was a lot of fun, a damn sight more than we're having at the moment.

So, it may not be such a bad thing.

The counter argument is that we won't find a buyer, Mel will pull the plug in terms of cash and we'll go into Administration and sink further into the mire.

No, I think it is just an excuse to make relegation feel better....

Derby was a division 3 club when I first started following them, and as much fun at times it was rising through the leagues, I don't think it'll be that easy this time round, we would be most clubs cup final, look at Sunderland for example of recent times and Ipswich, you don't always get a wolves/fester etc, you could even end up a bolton so staying up is imperative 

This club has gone backwards two steps every single year since the Mac playoff final. We’ve taken so many steps back, I truly believe this club needs 20-30m invested on the pitch in 7-8 good championship players immediately.

I haven’t worried about relegation at all this season until today. I truly fear the worst. 

No more papering over holes with loan signings for the spine of the team, no more expensive signings which are too risky. Just decent championship players and build from there.

League 1 is not an option for this football club. 

It would be great. Some of the best times In my football life were in division 3. 
trips to Blackpool, Lincoln, donnie, Plymouth, Wimbledon maybe even morecambe..what’s not to love about that.? 
we aren’t going up into the top division  anytime soon, so why not go down and have a change of scenery. 

3 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

It would be great. Some of the best times In my football life were in division 3. 
trips to Blackpool, Lincoln, donnie, Plymouth, Wimbledon maybe even morecambe..what’s not to love about that.? 
we aren’t going up into the top division  anytime soon, so why not go down and have a change of scenery. 

We might even win the odd game and,  who knows,  score a few goals!! 

3 minutes ago, minesahartington said:

I said that to a Sunderland ST holding mate. He stopped me on my tracks and said “ no way, you forget how bad it is. It’s not so simple to get out and everything about the quality is awful. Very hard to play your way out with silky football. It’s like a whirlpool of poo” his words...

He didn’t say “poo”

We are doing a solid Sunderland repeat here,a once great club hurtling towards extreme financial insecurity if not bankruptcy and in the final death throws of not surviiving in this division.

By next season,I expect that 95 percent of the players and coaching staff will have left,Rooney returns back to man u to a much lesser role to actually get his badges done (never to even think of us again)and the Alonso deal or indeed any deal never happens leaving us standing,hands in pockets and open mouthed watching a side full of unknowns slogging it out in league 1.

We never get out season ticket money back and all resort to radio Derby in indignation.

Or the exact opposite somehow,miraculously happens and we live happily ever after......seems like a fantasy at the moment but who bloody knows.

Right,now I've got that out of the way in going to walk the the dogs,wash the car and have a nice bacon sandwich.