Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?

IslandExile

Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

One more thing to add 

Wigans RELEGATION side 

We sign Marshall and Bryne 

Some may argue these players are great produced plenty of positive performances blah blah blah . 

The fact remains they make nearly 50% of our defence and took wigan down , OH LOOK there now taking Derby down as well ...........brilliant signings just brilliant . 

Get rid of the whole lot of them bar a few of the youngsters that should not be playing in and around a relegation scrap and start again in div 3 . 

Totally wrong. 

Byrne and Marshall are not “taking us down” but they may be part of the team that goes down.

Besides, whilst there have of course been sloppy goals conceded and individual errors throughout the team, surely the primary reason for our predicament is our failings in attack rather than defence?

In my opinion, Byrne has been a very good signing and certainly not a player I’d want to get rid of. What’s the phrase? “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”

4 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Totally wrong. 

Byrne and Marshall are not “taking us down” but they may be part of the team that goes down.

Besides, whilst there have of course been sloppy goals conceded and individual errors throughout the team, surely the primary reason for our predicament is our failings in attack rather than defence?

In my opinion, Byrne has been a very good signing and certainly not a player I’d want to get rid of. What’s the phrase? “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water”

Im not singling these 2 out it might seem that i am but im not honestly .

But on yesterday we did take the lead and fail to hold on , so you could say yesterday attack did its job couldnt you . 

The thing i hate is we obviously signed these 2 because they were cheap but they also came with the negative mindset of coming from a relegation team . These 2 have not known much else recently in league games and eventually it must get to you , also morris plan of play youngsters is fine in a more successfull side but i believe now its hugely damaging to them , if the youngsters were not going to be complimented by some older expensive quality signings then playing youngster back fires esp in a relegation side . Before someone says rooney as an expensive older player i dont mean players in  their pension years with walking sticks that are slighlty over weight and might score a wordly free kick now and again , i mean players with quality who last 90 mins running their legs off . 

1 hour ago, NottsRammy said:

Exactly my point , i think its easier to regroup in lower division and it forcefully ejects the over paid plonkers we have that just turn up and play for one game ( im not naming names ) .

No, do. Name names, there's no-one left! ? Everytime we don't do well ie everytime recently, we get the 'we need a clear-out' call! ?

13 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Things are now really bad.

Worst squad we've had for a very long time.

Newbie manager who seems to be having little impact.

One failed takeover after another.

I was afraid of us being relegated but I'm now starting to see that there could be a positive side to it.

Chance to regroup. Clear the decks. Review the management team - at the very least. Thank the players out of contract or not pulling their weight.

Build a team around the quality youngsters. Establish a way of playing. Win a few games, heck score a few goals even.

Forget Sunderland and Portsmouth, there are enough examples of teams that have dropped down and come back much stronger..... Southampton, the Dirties, Leicester, and this season: Hull.

Heck even Derby in the 80s - thanks to Arthur Cox. And for those of us who lived through it, it was a lot of fun, a damn sight more than we're having at the moment.

So, it may not be such a bad thing.

The counter argument is that we won't find a buyer, Mel will pull the plug in terms of cash and we'll go into Administration and sink further into the mire.

Mate this is not what is needed when fighting a relegation battle why can’t you just wait and see what happens first 

Edited by Curtains

1 minute ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

What about if we get relegated and we've got fans saying they won't bother anymore? Surely that wouldn't be what we need in our darkest moment for decades?

Are you serious 

You single me out with all the dross being posted 

Edited by Curtains

I worry if there will be a club left if we go down. We are a very expensive outfit to run, have an owner desperate to sell, question marks over future ownership and likely a vacancy for a manager if we are relegated. And who knows, maybe a points deduction to start with, knowing the EFL. 

No, I don't see much positive about relegation. 

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

All reason goes out the window when I’m on the windup with @Curtains.

Maybe I shouldn’t have said who cares remark .

Of course I care about all generations particularly at this difficult time .

You are right we wind each other up. 

If you want Div 3 that’s your prerogative I just don’t agree 

I do understand you Would like to go to other Stadiums but the novelty might wear off .

Anyhow that’s what you think so that’s it really. 

3 minutes ago, Curtains said:

If you want Div 3 that’s your prerogative I just don’t agree 

I do understand you Would like to go to other Stadiums but the novelty might wear off .

Anyhow that’s what you think so that’s it really. 

I definitely don't 'want' Div 3. I want us to stay up. But I certainly wouldn't be put off going if we were to be relegated, and I'd actively enjoy going to the different 'poohole' grounds.

Each to their own, as you say.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Totally wrong. 

Without stating the obvious, we are where we are because defensively we are suspect and error prone, lack quality in midfield without Bielik and have no cutting edge or goal threat up top.....combination of the 3 in my view....

48 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Im not singling these 2 out it might seem that i am but im not honestly .

But on yesterday we did take the lead and fail to hold on , so you could say yesterday attack did its job couldnt you . 

The thing i hate is we obviously signed these 2 because they were cheap but they also came with the negative mindset of coming from a relegation team . These 2 have not known much else recently in league games and eventually it must get to you , also morris plan of play youngsters is fine in a more successfull side but i believe now its hugely damaging to them , if the youngsters were not going to be complimented by some older expensive quality signings then playing youngster back fires esp in a relegation side . Before someone says rooney as an expensive older player i dont mean players in  their pension years with walking sticks that are slighlty over weight and might score a wordly free kick now and again , i mean players with quality who last 90 mins running their legs off . 

But you are specifically singling out these two by naming them as poor signings that are “taking us down”.

They probably were cheap and obviously I can’t comment on their mindset but, regardless of where we signed him from, how much he cost and where is mind was, I would say Byrne was a good signing and one of the few I wouldn’t be looking to get rid of.

Just now, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I definitely don't 'want' Div 3. I want us to stay up. But I certainly wouldn't be put off going if we were to be relegated, and I'd actively enjoy going to the different 'poohole' grounds.

Each to their own, as you say.

Oh I misunderstood I thought you wanted Div 3 sorry because some certainly do quoting get rid and club reset etc 

Can’t see any good from going down.

Financially crippled, not able to sack the manager due to finances left to hope he walks away, youngsters sold for less than if we were in the champ, etc, etc!

We’d also have a target on our backs like Sunderland did when they dropped down. 

The only way out of that league would be to sign an excellent manager and players for that division, something we’ve not been able to do since Mac!

How would we get out of league one when we’ve continuously failed to get promoted from the champ?

19 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Without stating the obvious, we are where we are because defensively we are suspect and error prone, lack quality in midfield without Bielik and have no cutting edge or goal threat up top.....combination of the 3 in my view....

I’m not sure we’re any more defensively suspect or error prone than many of the teams in the championship. Out of the bottom 10, only Forest have conceded fewer goals than us and that includes Rotherham with their three games in hand. The other teams weaknesses and mistakes in defence are hidden by their much better goal scoring threat.

A disaster if we get relegated and an embarrassing situation to end up after few season we was in play off final, few seasons before under smc we should have been promoted,  followed by a season we was top of the league till February..... 

We must not get relegated and this team need to battle every minute of the 90min to make sure we safe.

On different note .. if relegated new grounds to visit ?