Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?

IslandExile

Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

15 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Things are now really bad.

Worst squad we've had for a very long time.

Newbie manager who seems to be having little impact.

One failed takeover after another.

I was afraid of us being relegated but I'm now starting to see that there could be a positive side to it.

Chance to regroup. Clear the decks. Review the management team - at the very least. Thank the players out of contract or not pulling their weight.

Build a team around the quality youngsters. Establish a way of playing. Win a few games, heck score a few goals even.

Forget Sunderland and Portsmouth, there are enough examples of teams that have dropped down and come back much stronger..... Southampton, the Dirties, Leicester, and this season: Hull.

Heck even Derby in the 80s - thanks to Arthur Cox. And for those of us who lived through it, it was a lot of fun, a damn sight more than we're having at the moment.

So, it may not be such a bad thing.

The counter argument is that we won't find a buyer, Mel will pull the plug in terms of cash and we'll go into Administration and sink further into the mire.

Just for mentioning the Arthur Cox era you get a like. Halcyon days for me. Driving to every game what a pity I couldn’t enjoy celebration drinks with all those victories aaaaahhh 

23 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I can't see how a relegation would help build the confidence of our younger players. 

Plus by all accounts League 1 football is more agricultural, so our academy product becomes unsuitable. 

Hoping we'll stay up but the experience of being close to the trapdoor will be cathartic.. 

Anyone saying going down is a good thing is trying to soften the blow themselves 

On 16/04/2021 at 21:19, IslandExile said:

I was afraid of us being relegated but I'm now starting to see that there could be a positive side to it.

Chance to regroup. Clear the decks. Review the management team - at the very least. Thank the players out of contract or not pulling their weight.

Build a team around the quality youngsters. Establish a way of playing. Win a few games, heck score a few goals even.

Forget Sunderland and Portsmouth, there are enough examples of teams that have dropped down and come back much stronger..... Southampton, the Dirties, Leicester, and this season: Hull.

Heck even Derby in the 80s - thanks to Arthur Cox. And for those of us who lived through it, it was a lot of fun, a damn sight more than we're having at the moment.

The counter argument is that we won't find a buyer, Mel will pull the plug in terms of cash and we'll go into Administration and sink further into the mire.

What a stupid thread

29 minutes ago, Shaftesbury st said:

What a stupid thread

On 17/04/2021 at 09:54, IslandExile said:

All the angry reactions the original post has received, and people just saying 'no' as a comment.

This is a discussion forum. How it works is someone puts forward an idea, not necessarily one that they agree with, just to provoke discussion and debate.

The alternative is that we just errrr... dunno what..... make puns about cheese. Oh, we do that aswell.

Realistically, we have no idea about our new owner so a spell in League One would put our fate solely into his hands. If he's not what he says he is then we could very realistically end up in administration among other things. At the very least, I believe it would continue the instability the club has been working under now for a while AND the academy which really is our crown jewel at this moment in time wouldn't be sustained as a tier one academy. I find it incredibly unlikely that will probably be the case anyway, but a relegation would definitely put an end to it. I mean, let's be honest the few highly rated players we've had at a very young stage have gone to other clubs anyway so it begs the question does it have a good return on investment anyway? 

League One also has more red tape and financial restrictions that we have to work under, it's absolutely painful down there. The only hope we have is that the academy players can produce at that level and we end up being competitive on the back of them. The other aspect would be how many fans would actually turn up - we would be sub 20k for certain. I could see lows of 13-14k fans at games. 

A spell in League One would provide a hard reset, especially in this climate, but it's certainly not to say it would be good for the club. It's more likely to be worse. 

On 16/04/2021 at 21:19, IslandExile said:

Being relegated for a team is the worst thing that can happen to it. 

No club has got a God given right to be promoted. 

We could end up like Sunderland and Portsmouth stuck in League 1 for years.

With falling gates, loss of income, regularly selling our better players for peanuts to stay afloat.

Promising youngsters not joining the academy.  

No investment in the ground or facilities.

I club living hand to mouth on old dreams on things what could and maybe what should have been . 

Drifting along from one manager to another hoping for success but planning against failure.

No we don't want to go down.

3 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Being relegated for a team is the worst thing that can happen to it. 

No club has got a God given right to be promoted. 

We could end up like Sunderland and Portsmouth stuck in League 1 for years.

With falling gates, loss of income, regularly selling our better players for peanuts to stay afloat.

Promising youngsters not joining the academy.  

No investment in the ground or facilities.

I club living hand to mouth on old dreams on things what could and maybe what should have been . 

Drifting along from one manager to another hoping for success but planning against failure.

No we don't want to go down.

so what you are saying is we could end up stuck in a league with no chance of getting promoted from it......... with falling gates, loss of income, regularly selling our best players for peanuts, promising youngsters leaving our academy, no investment in the ground or facilities and living hand to mouth on old dreams of what could and maybe should have been....drifting along from one manager to another hoping for success..........

phew.....glad that's not exactly what is happening now eh or that would be miserable.....

22 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

so what you are saying is we could end up stuck in a league with no chance of getting promoted from it......... with falling gates, loss of income, regularly selling our best players for peanuts, promising youngsters leaving our academy, no investment in the ground or facilities and living hand to mouth on old dreams of what could and maybe should have been....drifting along from one manager to another hoping for success..........

phew.....glad that's not exactly what is happening now eh or that would be miserable.....

At this particular moment its is only a possibility that it could happen, NOT a certainty.

I am sure every Derby fan does NOT want it to happen.

Edited by Rab a dab doo
missing word

9 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

At this particular moment its is only a possibility that it could happen, NOT a certainty.

I am sure every Derby fan does NOT want it to happen.

wow, you like a random bold word in there don't you.

And not every Derby fan doesn't want it to happen, I would be more than happy for a change of scenery.

I'm pretty sure our first game back in the lower league in 2002 was against Gillingham away. Was a surreal day, we parked up a mile or so from the ground and walked down with a load of Derby fans..not far from the ground a kid of no more than 10 or 12 was hurling abuse at every Derby fan..asking  to fight them..he was swigging from a half empty vodka bottle..then watched the game...we lost 1-0 trying to play an offside trap from memory..I will always remember the look on Ravanelli's face as he strolled around thinking what the fk am I doing here...