Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?

IslandExile

Would a spell in League One actually be a good thing?  

232 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

You talk utter nonsense whether in bold or not...

I would much rather watch us play Blackpool, Morecambe, Plymouth, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Lincoln, Crewe, Wimbledon than Reading for the millionth time, QPR for the millionth time, Preston for the millionth time, Blackburn for the millionth time, Cardiff for the millionth time.... as Sleaford Mods would say, its all so flipping boring.

29 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

I would much rather watch us play Blackpool, Morecambe, Plymouth, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Lincoln, Crewe, Wimbledon than Reading for the millionth time, QPR for the millionth time, Preston for the millionth time, Blackburn for the millionth time, Cardiff for the millionth time.... as Sleaford Mods would say, its all so flipping boring.

They didn't actually say that. But the swear filter still works. And I totally agree with your sentiment.

40 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

Until you get bored playing Blackpool, Morecombe, Plymouth, Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich, Lincoln, Crewe, Wimbledon for the the millionth time...... 

Yes it would. Aside from an exodus of players like Waghorn, Lawrence and Jozwiak and Bielik who probably don’t want to play in the third tier or didn’t sign up for that. Plus Marshall goes to Celtic because it’s either league one or challenging for a title.

We are then left with our glorious youngsters of which Knight, Sibley, Buchanan and Bird are all likely to be sold and picked off. One because we need the money and two because that is what happens. So we are left with the rest of the youngsters so will get bullied every week like they did against Chorley. They would be kids in a men’s league. Yes their ability may show through but ability is nothing against physicality.

Our kids are nowhere near as good as people keep banging on about. If they were we wouldn’t be struggling. I don’t see a forward coming through to challenge Richards, I don’t see any centre halves coming through to push Wisdom and Clarke, I don’t see a keeper coming through to replace Marshall or be his understudy. Our best youngsters are in the team and they are not setting the world alight. Sibley barely influences a game, Knight is a willing runner but does he ever dominate a match and well Bird has not developed. 

Oh yes and let’s not forget Rooney. He will either leave or stay on in a league he has never experienced ever in his career. Now he could be a success bit let’s face it he probably won’t know what to do.

20 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Yes it would. Aside from an exodus of players like Waghorn, Lawrence and Jozwiak and Bielik who probably don’t want to play in the third tier or didn’t sign up for that. Plus Marshall goes to Celtic because it’s either league one or challenging for a title.

We are then left with our glorious youngsters of which Knight, Sibley, Buchanan and Bird are all likely to be sold and picked off. One because we need the money and two because that is what happens. So we are left with the rest of the youngsters so will get bullied every week like they did against Chorley. They would be kids in a men’s league. Yes their ability may show through but ability is nothing against physicality.

Our kids are nowhere near as good as people keep banging on about. If they were we wouldn’t be struggling. I don’t see a forward coming through to challenge Richards, I don’t see any centre halves coming through to push Wisdom and Clarke, I don’t see a keeper coming through to replace Marshall or be his understudy. Our best youngsters are in the team and they are not setting the world alight. Sibley barely influences a game, Knight is a willing runner but does he ever dominate a match and well Bird has not developed. 

Oh yes and let’s not forget Rooney. He will either leave or stay on in a league he has never experienced ever in his career. Now he could be a success bit let’s face it he probably won’t know what to do.

Would all those players go, or do clubs tend to keep a core during the first season in an attempt to bounce back up - or decide during the January transfer window?

I guess that we would probably have the highest attendances, if we were to go down to League 1?

8 minutes ago, Ken Tram said:

Would all those players go, or do clubs tend to keep a core during the first season in an attempt to bounce back up - or decide during the January transfer window?

I guess that we would probably have the highest attendances, if we were to go down to League 1?

Do you really think Jozwiak wants to play on the third tier. He is Polish international and signed for Derby as he was likely sold the dream of the premier league. Lawrence and Waghorn jump ship at the first sign of a better placed club. They did it at Ipswich to come to Derby. Marshall gets a title challenge and European football with Celtic. Bielik has shown he is too good and will get snapped up.

43 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Waghorn and Lawrence don't look like they want to play in the Championship never mind League 1

5 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Do you really think Jozwiak wants to play on the third tier. He is Polish international and signed for Derby as he was likely sold the dream of the premier league. Lawrence and Waghorn jump ship at the first sign of a better placed club. They did it at Ipswich to come to Derby. Marshall gets a title challenge and European football with Celtic. Bielik has shown he is too good and will get snapped up.

Waghorn is gone anyway (out of contrsct).

We'd probably have sold Lawrence already if P&S didn't restrict us from doing so. [FYI, we bought him from Leicester]

Marshall isn't good enough, even for a top L1 side, let him go.

No-one will be coming in for Bielik whilst he's injured.

In summary, the one player from your list who I wouldn't want us to sell, won't be sold.

5 minutes ago, TheresOnlyWanChope said:

I think we would get good attendances, 20k ish. Derby would be a good scalp for teams in that league as Sunderland have been, but Sunderland just seem like a league 1 team now (not a big club in a lower league) same as Derby would be with a few seasons down there. 

Difficult to predict attendances next year with many still concerned about Covid. Assuming no restrictions, I would guess at just over 20,000 if we’re still in the championship and definitely less that 20,000 in league 1 unless we performed far better than many of us fear.

With regard to Sunderland, they really are a big team in a lower league.

27 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Difficult to predict attendances next year with many still concerned about Covid. Assuming no restrictions, I would guess at just over 20,000 if we’re still in the championship and definitely less that 20,000 in league 1 unless we performed far better than many of us fear.

They are but I’m just used to them being there now. Seeing as Ipswich get about 20,000 on average I wouldn’t say we would get lower than them. Derby’s lowest average has been 23k at Pride Park. 

29 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I think our attendances would obviously, like in almost any league, depend on how we're doing in the division.

I had a look at Leicester and Wolves' attendances in their relegation season vs the following promotion year in League 1 and they were pretty much the same. The Championship attendances were slightly higher which surprised me, I imagined more would want to watch a title winning side than a relegation side in the league above.

If we're scrapping around outside the play-offs or lower, then yeah demand in League 1 would be pretty low.

11 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Waghorn is gone anyway (out of contrsct).

We'd probably have sold Lawrence already if P&S didn't restrict us from doing so. [FYI, we bought him from Leicester]

Marshall isn't good enough, even for a top L1 side, let him go.

No-one will be coming in for Bielik whilst he's injured.

In summary, the one player from your list who I wouldn't want us to sell, won't be sold.

So what you are confirming is the only player that won’t leave is the one player (Bielik) who physically can’t due to injury. You didn’t mention Jozwiak.

I am confused with the Marshall situation. At the start of the season people loved him and said he was a steal of a signing and now he is rubbish? Also, Roos was labelled rubbish last season but this season people think he is the answer.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2021/04/blogs/championship/Derby-county-ryan-conway-discusses-erik-alonso/

If Derby are relegated, then for me, its a fresh slate.

New team and manager. Lots of buying new players. Ending contracts for under performing players.

Rooney in my opinion has under performed as a manager.

The club would need a manager capable of promoting Derby in the first season.

There would be a huge cost to the club of maintaining a Premier league stadium at league 1 ticket prices.

1 hour ago, Warwick Ram said:

So what you are confirming is the only player that won’t leave is the one player (Bielik) who physically can’t due to injury. You didn’t mention Jozwiak.

I am confused with the Marshall situation. At the start of the season people loved him and said he was a steal of a signing and now he is rubbish? Also, Roos was labelled rubbish last season but this season people think he is the answer.

Since day 1 I've said Roos is a very good keeper at this level. His performances last season were due to the fans demoralising him due to Wembley - the exact same happened to Keogh, who also bounced back the following season.

Jozwiak will want to be in the Poland squad for the World Cup. He won't do that by playing in L1 and I wouldn't hold anything against him for moving on to boost those chances