Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

47 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

We were 5 minutes away from getting relegated. Can agree to disagree on that as I don't want to get sucked into a banal debate with yourself or anyone else. 

If we'd won the game it wouldn't have mattered but what a hash Rooney made of that too. Anyhows my original point still stands. 

I agree and I don’t want to get into a banal debate either. That’s why I said “genuine question” in case I’d forgotten about an incident.

11 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Well one thing seems certain there won't be much money to waste on players! So lets hope that when Wayne chats with Sir Alex, Moyes and Jose they can point a few players our way.

Not an easy sell. I can see why Steve Mac and also Frank Lampard were able to secure some decent loans, with willing clubs hoping to see their players improve within a positive progressive team. I guess Wazza could offer "fancy a relegation scrap and the possibility of not getting paid, while playing some stunningly dire football...." 

Edited by europia

I'm of the opinion that Rooney will be an extremely successful manager. 

Based on my instinct, not his recent results.

I doubt it will be with us though as I fear the Morris induced shitstorm still has lots of legs in it.

Just wanted to get it out there so I don't get called an officer of hindsight.

There. I've said it. Colours nailed well and truly to the mast.

I think we're collectively being a little harsh on Rooney because of the last gasp escape - it was a painful position to be in for us after the last few years but it's where we ended up 

I'm not 100% convinced by Rooney yet but I think he's done enough to be given a chance to improve the squad over the summer and see what he can do with a clean slate 

Over the course of his 33 games in charge (the co-manager idea was awful and I'm not blaming him for that) he managed a team to results which would have equated to an 18th place finish - which isn't horrible in context of the limited squad he had available 

The Bielik injury was devastating to our season - with him we are an entirely different prospect and we have no one who can cover that 

As others have pointed out - It's possible to survive this league if you're bottom after 10 games - So why not give him the summer and the first 10 games to see what he can make of us? He's in place, we'd have to pay to get rid of him and this is a much fairer test of his chops that a horrible relegation dogfight 

13 hours ago, Saul said:

I'm of the opinion that Rooney will be an extremely successful manager. 

Based on my instinct, not his recent results.

I doubt it will be with us though as I fear the Morris induced shitstorm still has lots of legs in it.

Just wanted to get it out there so I don't get called an officer of hindsight.

There. I've said it. Colours nailed well and truly to the mast.

Interesting ? In which of the key areas of football management do you think he has done well? Tactical awareness, consistency in approach, communication, motivating players, supporting and developing the youngsters, clear style of play, an identity and of course being successful on the pitch and winning games?

It was interesting to look back at what Rams fans thought of Rooney's appointment when it was made. Given the good form at the time (especially defensively), it's hardly surprising that most fans were behind the appointment.  Although I'd suggest that a lot of those who were supportive of giving Rooney the job, would have preferred to have given it to him until the end of the season first, before offering a longer contract.  We've all seen new manager 'bounces' before. 

It's also interesting to look at what fans thought of the idea of appointing Rooney, when it was first suggested after Cocu was sacked.  To me the result of that poll is a completely logical and rational response to the idea of appointing an unqualified and entirely inexperienced manager who had shown very questionable levels of professionalism (regarding his fitness) in the preceding months at the club.  The subsequent upswing in support of the appointment was understandable given the good results that followed. However, given the fact that what followed for the rest of the season was the worst form in the entire EFL, I would have thought that we would, as a group, have returned to somewhere near our initial skepticism regarding Rooney.  That doesn't appear to be the case, although I don't really understand why.

1517480414_Rooneypoll.thumb.jpg.7f11918d5dd105e2fc8af219efcc23a3.jpg

3 hours ago, Highgate said:

It was interesting to look back at what Rams fans thought of Rooney's appointment when it was made. Given the good form at the time (especially defensively), it's hardly surprising that most fans were behind the appointment.  Although I'd suggest that a lot of those who were supportive of giving Rooney the job, would have preferred to have given it to him until the end of the season first, before offering a longer contract.  We've all seen new manager 'bounces' before. 

It's also interesting to look at what fans thought of the idea of appointing Rooney, when it was first suggested after Cocu was sacked.  To me the result of that poll is a completely logical and rational response to the idea of appointing an unqualified and entirely inexperienced manager who had shown very questionable levels of professionalism (regarding his fitness) in the preceding months at the club.  The subsequent upswing in support of the appointment was understandable given the good results that followed. However, given the fact that what followed for the rest of the season was the worst form in the entire EFL, I would have thought that we would, as a group, have returned to somewhere near our initial skepticism regarding Rooney.  That doesn't appear to be the case, although I don't really understand why.

1517480414_Rooneypoll.thumb.jpg.7f11918d5dd105e2fc8af219efcc23a3.jpg

Thanks for posting this. It is an excellent example of why I put up the hindsight thread. On the day that Cocu was sacked 90% were against Rooney being appointed interim manager. 2 months later and 94% were in favour of his appointment as permanent manager. Now it's probably 75% against him staying. It's dead easy to be a fan, but nearly impossible to be a chairman of a football club.

I'm sure Mel was more nervous than any fan about appointing Rooney initially. Yes it was temporary, but things could very easily have got even worse than they already were. 2 months and top 2 form later he probably had a grin bigger than the Cheshire Cat's. And now here we are, 1 win in 15 later and Mel has to decide whether to pull the trigger or not, costing the club millions of pounds. It's so easy sat in front of a computer screen clicking imaginary money away and throwing someone on the dole (Rooney doesn't need the money, but he won't be the only one out of the door). Any chairman has to fulfil the dreams of thousands of fans at the first attempt. He can't press the reset button or return to a previously saved game.

We as fans can change our minds in the bat of an eyelid. Just because we have though doesn't mean that we have the right to beat the chairman with a stick every time circumstances change.

5 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Interesting ? In which of the key areas of football management do you think he has done well? Tactical awareness, consistency in approach, communication, motivating players, supporting and developing the youngsters, clear style of play, an identity and of course being successful on the pitch and winning games?

Just a feeling I get. I have contemplated at length the pros and cons. I wonder how he might have gone on without the  2 fakeovers, wages not being paid and being under a transfer embargo until as late as 24 hours before the window shut.

It's each to their own, you've made your feelings clear on more than one occasion. 

I thought it time I made my thoughts known.

Do you think he's been given a fair chance with Mels shitstorm?

Do you think it has all been as he was told it would be?

16 minutes ago, Saul said:

Just a feeling I get. I have contemplated at length the pros and cons. I wonder how he might have gone on without the  2 fakeovers, wages not being paid and being under a transfer embargo until as late as 24 hours before the window shut.

It's each to their own, you've made your feelings clear on more than one occasion. 

I thought it time I made my thoughts known.

Do you think he's been given a fair chance with Mels shitstorm?

Do you think it has all been as he was told it would be?

He was just not ready for such a challenging job without the experience ?

I didnt think Rooney was the right appointment at the time, I still have massive reservations, but..

I would like to see what he can do if he is allowed to bring in his own staff and his own players.

He had players lined up for Jan and seems confident that if he can do his business this window then we can push on. I am more than happy to see what he can do.

It's all down to what the club do in the next few weeks regarding a takeover.