Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

Well seeing as Morris was responsible for giving Rooney the job and is also accountable for how he's performed in his role then yes he does have a moral obligation to finish off what he's started knowing what the likely outputs are going to be accordingly next season. 

And where does the abject output of trying to find a buyer lie with? If he's asking too much that's Morris, if it's because the club is such a poor proposition to take on as it's riddled with debt, wafer thin squad etc then it lies at the same persons door.

Not sure then why you are unable to blame Morris for the fix we are in now and knowing this my expectations would be that he takes ownership of the mess he has created before he leaves.

Totally agree. Let's not forget that many of Mr Morris's recruitment decisions (and subsequent costly sackings) play a big part in the lead up to the current circumstances, where we have the inexperienced and under qualified Rooney in the managers role. 

Hindsight, a wonderful thing. Pity we can't have it before events happen.

Mac I - probably a harsh sacking, but background noises forced Mel's hand.

Clement - an excellent appointment on paper, doing a decent job, but no choice but to sack him according to rumours (no, I'm not privy to what they are).

Pearson - widely considered at the time as what the team needed. A stern hand to drag them over the promotion finishing line. Those in the know say that he had to go even ignoring his results.

Mac II - again a harsh sacking, but Mel pulled the trigger when he saw Rowett's availablility.

Rowett - did a good enough job to be poached, giving us a decent compensation.

Lampard - risky appointment, but ditto Rowett.

Cocu - again widely hailed as an excellent appointment. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

Rooney - risky appointment, but given a two year deal on the back of top two form.

Mel can be blamed for many things, but managerial appointments and subsequent changes are not one of them in my opinion. Player signings, again the vast majority were lauded when they happened. He backed his manager, probably egged on by CEOs who may or may not have had vested interest. Mel tried to fulfil his, and our, dreams. He probably ended up chasing the dragon. That he can be blamed for.

When the going gets tough the tough get 3 days off. Interesting Article about Wayne's time as manager

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/wayne-rooney-staying-up-with-Derby-county-feels-better-than-any-trophy-i-won-kmm9qdzcm

IMG_3884.PNG

Edited by rynny
Removed the whole article, added the link

Interesting read but what you would expect from a manager who wants to keep his job.

The fact is he is a winner and he will want to make a success of managing Derby County. I don’t think there’s any doubt he will be in charge and I just hope he gets to bring in a few players he fancies managing, even if that means shipping out a few popular faces.

Apart from Bielik there are few players we couldn’t do without. We desperately need a new spine in the team at keeper, CH, attacking mid and CF.

Let’s get this EFL nonsense out of the way, bring in new owners and take a deep breath. 2021-2 is the year we emerge, as dear old Derek Randall once said, like a pheasant from the ashes.

Agreed - he will be manager and I for one will be 100% behind him.

When he took over we had 6 points and were bottom. He kept us up so mission accomplished under very difficult circumstances, with all the off field shenanigans. He was also very unlucky with injuries to key players such as bielik, Davies, plus basically all the loan players such as Mengi, Gregory etc. Didn’t realise he’d also given debuts to 9 academy lads. 

We need the off field issues sorting and give him the support and tools to do the job - end of 

33 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

When the going gets tough the tough get 3 days off. Interesting Article about Wayne's time as manager

hopefully the pictures will be in right order to read.

IMG_3884.PNG

IMG_3885.PNG

IMG_3886.PNG

Saw the article but no subscription to read the full article - nice one for posting this ?

23 hours ago, richinspain said:

Hindsight, a wonderful thing. Pity we can't have it before events happen.

Mac I - probably a harsh sacking, but background noises forced Mel's hand.

Clement - an excellent appointment on paper, doing a decent job, but no choice but to sack him according to rumours (no, I'm not privy to what they are).

Pearson - widely considered at the time as what the team needed. A stern hand to drag them over the promotion finishing line. Those in the know say that he had to go even ignoring his results.

Mac II - again a harsh sacking, but Mel pulled the trigger when he saw Rowett's availablility.

Rowett - did a good enough job to be poached, giving us a decent compensation.

Lampard - risky appointment, but ditto Rowett.

Cocu - again widely hailed as an excellent appointment. Unfortunately it didn't work out.

Rooney - risky appointment, but given a two year deal on the back of top two form.

Mel can be blamed for many things, but managerial appointments and subsequent changes are not one of them in my opinion. Player signings, again the vast majority were lauded when they happened. He backed his manager, probably egged on by CEOs who may or may not have had vested interest. Mel tried to fulfil his, and our, dreams. He probably ended up chasing the dragon. That he can be blamed for.

Appointing Rooney was a very poor decision, nothing to do with hindsight whatsoever....

40 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

So you were happy in November being bottom (not bottom 3) - rock bottom with 6 points? 

Not sure what relevance that statement has to do with Rooney being appointed manager in the first place and then being allowed to continue after we only stayed up this season by lady luck smiling on us on the final game of the season. 

But yer I'm happy to support him make a hash of next season as well obviously

3 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not sure what relevance that statement has to do with Rooney being appointed manager in the first place and then being allowed to continue after we only stayed up this season by lady luck smiling on us on the final game of the season. 

But yer I'm happy to support him make a hash of next season as well obviously

Genuine question: we survived by the skin of our teeth but how did Lady Luck smile on us on the final game of the season?

1 hour ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Appointing Rooney was a very poor decision, nothing to do with hindsight whatsoever....

Appointing him was a massive gamble with the predicament we were in. Ultimately it was a gamble that paid off, since we survived, albeit by the skin of our teeth. 

Is he the man to take us forward? That's a whole new debate. I think I can second guess your answer to that question though. 

35 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

Genuine question: we survived by the skin of our teeth but how did Lady Luck smile on us on the final game of the season?

Am sure I remember Cardiff equalising against Rotherham with about 5 minutes to go otherwise we would have gone done but was pretty much inebriated by then so can't positively recall.....

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Appointing him was a massive gamble with the predicament we were in. Ultimately it was a gamble that paid off, since we survived, albeit by the skin of our teeth. 

Is he the man to take us forward? That's a whole new debate. I think I can second guess your answer to that question though. 

I agree with you entirely. As I posted a moment ago, 94% of those who voted on here thought that appointing Rooney as permanent manager was a good decision at the time. 94%! It wasn't even close.

We all have doubts as to whether he is the man to take us forward. It certainly wouldn't be 94%in favour. I can't be bothered to look at the results of the latest poll. I was talking about hindsight and Mel's managerial appointments. ALL of his appointments have been largely agreed with at the time of making them. The last (and only) successful appointment since 1996 was Wee Billy. That turned out to be the dog's cojones as well.

Everyone has the right to beat Mel with a metaphorical stick, but don't use hindsight as the only excuse.