Rooney In!

Inverurie Ram

9 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Appointing him was a massive gamble with the predicament we were in. Ultimately it was a gamble that paid off, since we survived, albeit by the skin of our teeth. 

Is he the man to take us forward? That's a whole new debate. I think I can second guess your answer to that question though. 

Weren’t we two points off safety with 35 games to go? Talk of Wazza keeping us up as some kind of Big Sam miraculous escape is laughable. We were the poorest team in the whole of English football for the last third of the season. If we weren’t in the financial pickle we are he would be gone, let’s not kid ourselves....

1 minute ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure I remember Cardiff equalising against Rotherham with about 5 minutes to go otherwise we would have gone done but was pretty much inebriated by then so can't positively recall.....

We had blatant penalties denied in the last minute of games, we had players flagged for offside when clean through who were 10 (yes 10!) yards onside. We had goals against us where there were clear pushes on defenders leaving them playing attackers onside, we had keepers jumping over over shots or standing behind their goal line (alright, that's the keeper's fault but not something you see every day), we had defenders standing on the ball and it falling directly to attackers..........however we only stayed up because a team that were worse than us over 46 games (see the final table) let in an equaliser in the 88th minute.

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

We had blatant penalties denied in the last minute of games, we had players flagged for offside when clean through who were 10 (yes 10!) yards onside. We had goals against us where there were clear pushes on defenders leaving them playing attackers onside, we had keepers jumping over over shots or standing behind their goal line (alright, that's the keeper's fault but not something you see every day), we had defenders standing on the ball and it falling directly to attackers..........however we only stayed up because a team that were worse than us over 46 games (see the final table) let in an equaliser in the 88th minute.

Made me smile that ??

9 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Am sure I remember Cardiff equalising against Rotherham with about 5 minutes to go otherwise we would have gone done but was pretty much inebriated by then so can't positively recall.....

Errr no that’s got f all to do with lady luck- a game of football is 90 mins long so tough poo on Rotherham I’m afraid. It’s been a horrific season no doubt but we stayed up end of. Pure relief 

3 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Weren’t we two points off safety with 35 games to go? Talk of Wazza keeping us up as some kind of Big Sam miraculous escape is laughable. We were the poorest team in the whole of English football for the last third of the season. If we weren’t in the financial pickle we are he would be gone, let’s not kid ourselves....

100% agree with the bolded bit. However I was just disagreeing with you saying it was a poor decision to appoint him. As I said, for me it was a massive gamble that ultimately paid off despite what happened before. 

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not disagreeing with you in that the whole season has been a shambles... but it was job done....massively affected by the shambles off the pitch too... 

Just now, Steve How Hard? said:

100% agree with the bolded bit. However I was just disagreeing with you saying it was a poor decision to appoint him. As I said, for me it was a massive gamble that ultimately paid off despite what happened before. 

We are stuck with him going in to next season with a potentially weaker squad. Not sure it has paid off for me...

9 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

His remit was to keep us up. Many felt that we were doomed. He did it. No one is kidding themselves that he wouldn't be gone if we could afford to sack him. We can't. It is what it is.

Just now, Jimbo Ram said:

We are stuck with him going in to next season with a potentially weaker squad. Not sure it has paid off for me...

Would have been disastrous financially to be relegated. Some very big decisions to be made moving forward. I hope that we don't continue to gamble when making those decisions. I've only just recovered mentally and physically from that last game of the season. However we all enjoyed the end result, didn't we?

2 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Would have been disastrous financially to be relegated. Some very big decisions to be made moving forward. I hope that we don't continue to gamble when making those decisions. I've only just recovered mentally and physically from that last game of the season. However we all enjoyed the end result, didn't we?

I agree with you, but do we use a very large portion of any possible transfer chest to remove Rooney and crew?

1 minute ago, richinspain said:

I agree with you, but do we use a very large portion of any possible transfer chest to remove Rooney and crew?

Good question. It's a difficult one to answer. I suppose those that definitely want WR out will say, why waste that money on a manager that shouldn't be here. Might need a calculated gamble to solve that conundrum. 

22 minutes ago, richinspain said:

His remit was to keep us up. Many felt that we were doomed. He did it. No one is kidding themselves that he wouldn't be gone if we could afford to sack him. We can't. It is what it is.

Agree with a lot of that but we weren’t doomed were we? We had 35 games to play. Brum looked doomed before Bowyer took over...

23 minutes ago, Eaststander7 said:

Would you have kept cocu? 

I was one of the last man standing in terms of supporting him but just about accepted, based on results, he had to go. A real shame because I could at least see what he was trying to do. Rooney’s record is worse and so on the same basis should be gone, that’s being consistent and logical. However, we haven’t paid Cocu off yet so Wazza will stay because we haven’t got the money to sack him. Such a shambles all around ?

10 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Agree with a lot of that but we weren’t doomed were we? We had 35 games to play. Brum looked doomed before Bowyer took over...

35 games is a lot of games, but we were bottom, below a team that had had 6 points deducted. No club is too big to go down, but only those that truly felt that way were confident we would be alright. Bowyer did an excellent job at Brum, he may not have done here. No one knows. I really don't think that Rooney is ready yet. However we are stuck with him for the near future. Hopefully he will do enough whilst learning to keep us out of trouble, and maybe he will learn quickly enough to be successful here. Next year is one of our now famous free hits, if he doesn't flirt with relegation. He has a year to learn, or less if we're in trouble. If he survives next season he will be expected to be challenging in 22/23 season.

1 hour ago, Tyler Durden said:

They did but that's not luck. Luck is an unforced error, a fluke or a bad decision by the officials. Conceding a goal under other circumstances isn't luck regardless of whether it's in the 5th minute, the 55th minute or the 85th minute. Rotherham, on the day, didn't do enough to win the game. 

37 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Good question. It's a difficult one to answer. I suppose those that definitely want WR out will say, why waste that money on a manager that shouldn't be here. Might need a calculated gamble to solve that conundrum. 

Well one thing seems certain there won't be much money to waste on players! So lets hope that when Wayne chats with Sir Alex, Moyes and Jose they can point a few players our way.