The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

I was quite upset today.

It's my mum's birthday, so I went over to Derby to deliver her card and gift.

I took my wife and her grandson, neither of which she'd seen in over a year, I haven't seen her myself since Xmas, hoping to sit in the garden and have a coffee.

Instead on arrival, there's an extra car on the drive, turns out it's my brother and his partner visiting, both indoors.

C'mon in she insists, I hesitate and speak to the wife, who's certain we can't go indoors, rightly so under the current rules I think?

We end up in a clumsy compromise, where my parents trapse out to the car parked up the street so we can talk, all the whilst insisting that we're being silly, and they've had dozens of visitors inside in the last few months, ffs.

Anyone else found themselves conflicted between following the rules, and doing what comes naturally?

Edited by Rev
Spelling

12 hours ago, Rev said:

I was quite upset today.

It's my mum's birthday, so I went over to Derby to deliver her card and gift.

I took my wife and her grandson, neither of which she'd seen in over a year, I haven't seen her myself since Xmas, hoping to sit in the garden and have a coffee.

Instead on arrival, there's an extra car on the drive, turns out it's my brother and his partner visiting, both indoors.

C'mon in she insists, I hesitate and speak to the wife, who's certain we can't go indoors, rightly so under the current rules I think?

We end up in a clumsy compromise, where my parents trapse out to the car parked up the street so we can talk, all the whilst insisting that we're being silly, and they've had dozens of visitors inside in the last few months, ffs.

Anyone else found themselves conflicted between following the rules, and doing what comes naturally?

I'm cleverer than the government, so have followed the rules when they made sense, bending them when they don't.

Sat indoors at my 96 year old Nan's last week, who had her 2nd vaccination about 4 weeks previously. Was in the garden yesterday with 3 other households and about 12 people, with only my 2 children not having had at least one vaccine.

However, in October we wouldn't meet up with our parents, even though they wanted too. Kids were at school, cases were rocketing and it was obvious where we were going. It was a similar story at Christmas, but fortunately they had finally banned any mixing where we live at least.

If the government had made the more obvious correct decisions, we could have halved deaths perhaps, as well as having the economy in better shape.

If we had left things up to people's "common sense", we might well have smashed out about 500k deaths.

8 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I'm cleverer than the government, so have followed the rules when they made sense, bending them when they don't.

Sat indoors at my 96 year old Nan's last week, who had her 2nd vaccination about 4 weeks previously. Was in the garden yesterday with 3 other households and about 12 people, with only my 2 children not having had at least one vaccine.

However, in October we wouldn't meet up with our parents, even though they wanted too. Kids were at school, cases were rocketing and it was obvious where we were going. It was a similar story at Christmas, but fortunately they had finally banned any mixing where we live at least.

If the government had made the more obvious correct decisions, we could have halved deaths perhaps, as well as having the economy in better shape.

If we had left things up to people's "common sense", we might well have smashed out about 500k deaths.

But doesn't everybody think they are cleverer than the government? Some of those people are now dead.

What makes you confident it is okay for you to put your own interpretation on the rules but not the next guy? 

It's a genuine question, I know people who have been putting their own interpretation on the rules right through the pandemic. Most have been okay.  Is that down to judgement, or luck? 

For me, I have followed the rules because I just don’t know whether I could be putting someone at risk. I suppose I don't feel that I am cleverer than the government.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

But doesn't everybody think they are cleverer than the government? Some of those people are now dead.

What makes you confident it is okay for you to put your own interpretation on the rules but not the next guy? 

It's a genuine question, I know people who have been putting their own interpretation on the rules right through the pandemic. Most have been okay.  Is that down to judgement, or luck? 

For me, I have followed the rules because I just don’t know whether I could be putting someone at risk. I suppose I don't feel that I am cleverer than the government.

I was being a little facetious. I don't think I'm cleverer than the government, even if I am. 

However I would have locked down earlier, like when body bags were piling up in Northern Italy and we were still allowing people to fly into the UK from there, on flights I would have already stopped.

I would also not have moved people from hospitals into care homes full of vulnerable people, without giving them Covid tests.

I wouldn't have given people warnings that they might lose their jobs if they don't go back to the office in early September when cases were already starting to climb.

I'd have listened to the expert predictions in September about what was gonna happen by Xmas, then lockdowned when they said it was vital that we did.

I wouldn't have got my party to tweet out abuse about Starmer saying he wanted to destroy the economy with another lockdown, then days later announce another lockdown.

I wouldn't have announced a lockdown in London starting the next day, without informing trains/police etc so they could help prevent 1000s of people carrying new variants across the uk on packed transportation.

I wouldn't have told the schools to go back after Xmas for a day before implementing another lockdown, based on no change in data.

I wouldn't have screwed up so many times that we are now in this weird position that people who have had 2 vaccinations are still not supposed to see anyone indoors (but packed tubes have been allowed for weeks now).

Many people on this forum alone are cleverer than most of the people in charge. And if they aren't cleverer, they are certainly more trustworthy.

33 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Many people on this forum alone are cleverer than most of the people in charge. And if they aren't cleverer, they are certainly more trustworthy.

Tory or Labour or even Lib-Dem, this lot in power are literally not very clever at all. But they think they are and for that we all suffer, particularly in this covid pandemic.

Edited by RoyMac5

Although it's been hammered into me that I am 'highly vulnerable' owing to lung damage I suffered a decade ago (swine flu - most people thought it was nothing, yet it nearly killed me), I've had my two jabs, so has the Memsahib, and we have decided that the time is right now - or at least soon - to rehabilitate ourselves into society. We are having weekly shopping trips now (essentials are still delivered - this is 'pleasure' shopping I am talking about), occasional walks and we will probably consider a pub visit shortly. The big next step will be public transport - something that we are keen to start using again.

42 minutes ago, Stive Pesley said:

FFS - my son's Y6 bubble has been closed because of two cases. Home schooling again till 14th May

Just when I was feeling like things were heading back to some sort of normality ?

Can't they do those rapid tests to get them back sooner?

7 hours ago, Stive Pesley said:

FFS - my son's Y6 bubble has been closed because of two cases. Home schooling again till 14th May

Just when I was feeling like things were heading back to some sort of normality ?

Are they symptomatic cases or just positives with no symptoms. Only asking because that’s all we’re getting at the missus’s school.

Theyve had no symptoms since Easter break.

There are over 100 cases linked to Wilsthorpe School in Long Eaton. Shows how rapidly it can still spread in a confined space.

What will be interesting to see is whether any of these become serious, or whether the vaccinations within family and contacts are sufficient to keep people out of hospital.

I hope it's the latter. 

1 hour ago, angieram said:

There are over 100 cases linked to Wilsthorpe School in Long Eaton. Shows how rapidly it can still spread in a confined space.

What will be interesting to see is whether any of these become serious, or whether the vaccinations within family and contacts are sufficient to keep people out of hospital.

I hope it's the latter. 

I'd think you were a psychopath if you were hoping for the former!