The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

6 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Agreed - good thing all fast food outlets remained open throughout every lockdown.

Off topic really so my post might get removed, but i have no issue with any of them being open. I dont even agree with banning adverts, we are an intelligent species who have the capacity to make choices about what we consume no matter who tries to sell them to us.

I quite like a McDonalds now and then myself, im not fat though and i know when i have one im hardly eating a quality meal.

Something something about everything in moderation and all that.

29 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

The NHS, on behalf of the government, on behalf of the big Pharmaceutical companies. 

All deserve credit, dont forget that AZ are doing it on a not for profit basis.

I only credit the Government for acquisition the vaccines.

Everything else I thought was down to the NHS and the army but I am guessing from the earlier post that I am incorrect.

10 hours ago, Archied said:

Yep I make you right , the biggest problem now is the fear instilled in vast numbers of people in this country

10 hours ago, Archied said:

I really fear for the future

So, let get this straight - you fear that everyone will end up in fear?

I think you're hurtling towards an irony vortex there!

28 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Where is this mass hysteria you talk of?

I'm seeing mass eye-rolling more than mass hysteria tbh.

Yeah probably an exaggeration. 

Its certainly mass hysteria that the media are trying to drum up though. 

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are debating a different point there. I was talking about "before the 2nd wave" ie September time.

When those pesky scientists were forecasted lots of deaths in November and sections of our terrible media asked questions about this. When the Tory party put out tweets saying Starmer wanted to destroy the economy for suggesting we follow scientific advise and lockdown again, only to bring in the November lockdown a few days later.

You skipped past all that and suggest the Kent variant announcement in mid-December was the start of the 2nd wave, when it was actually the time the 2nd wave got even worse. 

I hope you are right about the Indian variant, but there were also optimistic hopes that a 2nd wave could never be as bad/could never happen. Parts of the media pushed this dangerous narrative over the Summer and Autumn, but this never seems to provoke the same anger as when the media asks questions from the opposite point of view.

No I disagree again. As I pointed out, the "second wave" you mention looked as if it was over by November and the number of deaths wasn't huge, and was on the decline. We must always remember the framing in some quarters of "lives vs livelihoods" is just total nonsense. There is also always cost in lives of locking down, every bit as much (quite possibly more) as there is a cost in lives from not locking down. These are the most terrible decisions politicians have to make, because they are different lives. To my mind the Government was right and would have been massively vindicated, had it not been for the unexpected charge of the B117 variant when everything changed. But that can't happen again because of the vaccines.

8 hours ago, MrPlinkett said:

Off topic really so my post might get removed, but i have no issue with any of them being open. I dont even agree with banning adverts, we are an intelligent species who have the capacity to make choices about what we consume no matter who tries to sell them to us.

I quite like a McDonalds now and then myself, im not fat though and i know when i have one im hardly eating a quality meal.

Something something about everything in moderation and all that.

I do agree with you but its a sad inditement of this country really when fitness and health was not a priority during the past twelve months.

45 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

This Indian strain is a great concern. Why are Indians over here not getting the Punjab? Tragic case down here, where someone not only lost their naan, but caught the virus themselves whilst caring and is now in an induced korma. 

You won’t curry any favour with that post  if that’s what your siek ing

Just for some perspective.Texas fully opened with no restrictions or masks TEN weeks ago. They’ve held sports events inside with 70k people, nightclubs are packed, yet their COVID cases,deaths & hospitals data plummets. Light at the end of the tunnel irrespective of variants and media scaremongering. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

Just for some perspective.Texas fully opened with no restrictions or masks TEN weeks ago. They’ve held sports events inside with 70k people, nightclubs are packed, yet their COVID cases,deaths & hospitals data plummets. Light at the end of the tunnel irrespective of variants and media scaremongering. 

Great news. Are they highly vaccinated?

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Great news. Are they highly vaccinated?

Not really at the time of opening up only 16% had been vaccinated with only 9% fully vaccinated. 

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh, that's interesting. Is there a theory?

Not sure, just good numbers giving a ray of hope I guess. My theory would be, just take the plunge open up and get life back to normal (eg as it was in 2020). However we are on the way to that now so all is good. 

6 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Not sure, just good numbers giving a ray of hope I guess. My theory would be, just take the plunge open up and get life back to normal (eg as it was in 2020). However we are on the way to that now so all is good. 

I wish. Govt here not going to just take the plunge, for sure. Need to have something to say why your figures are so good.

14 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wish. Govt here not going to just take the plunge, for sure. Need to have something to say why your figures are so good.

It’s certainly not the fitness and physical state of Texans I know that much for sure ?