The coronabrexit thread. I mean, coronavirus thread

Gone

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

Had my jab at the arena today.

Say what you want about how we've handled the pandemic overall, but our vaccination program has been superbly organised.

Couldn't walk 5 steps without a marshall pointing me in the right direction and I was in and out in a flash.

That’s good ,, wonder what they will all do for a job once all vaccines are done ,,, perhaps something in ocd treatment given the massive rise we are going to see

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

Had my jab at the arena today.

Say what you want about how we've handled the pandemic overall, but our vaccination program has been superbly organised.

Couldn't walk 5 steps without a marshall pointing me in the right direction and I was in and out in a flash.

Imagine being one of those at the entrance having to repeat the same 3 sentences / questions about 8 times a minute for hours on end!

I'm really not sure what the point of the car park marshalls waving people through is though, there's only really one way you can go and you can quite clearly see ahead of time where there are spaces!

They end up distracting me because I'm too polite and end up giving each one a little wave of thanks.

(At the Arena now waiting for my mum to have dose 2)

Edited by Coconut

1 minute ago, Coconut said:

Imagine being one of those at the entrance having to repeat the same 3 sentences / questions about 8 times a minute for hours on end!

I'm really not sure what the point of the car park marshalls waving people through is though, there's only really one way you can go and you can quite clearly see ahead of time where there are spaces!

They end up distracting me because I'm too polite and end up giving each one a little wave of thanks.

I think you give people too much credit, it might be obvious to you but im sure some people must be capable of getting lost in their own back garden. With the diminishing amount of common sense in our population i could see it being utter carnage without these hero car park marshalls pointing them in the right direction.

Even by their standards, the scaremongering in the media and from Sage over the past 2 days has been absolutely appalling. No wonder people are tired, confused and living in an endless cycle of fear. Media scaremongering has become a pandemic in itself

52 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

Even by their standards, the scaremongering in the media and from Sage over the past 2 days has been absolutely appalling. No wonder people are tired, confused and living in an endless cycle of fear. Media scaremongering has become a pandemic in itself

Yep, getting utterly fed up with it now. So you get the 'will the vaccines be able to deal with the Indian variant' bit in the same piece as 'the variants change all the time, it was Kent now it's Indian'! So why not start with it seems like the vaccines are dealing with all the variants so far? No ducking clickbait there is there!

6 hours ago, Archied said:

That’s good ,, wonder what they will all do for a job once all vaccines are done ,,, perhaps something in ocd treatment given the massive rise we are going to see

The vast majority of the medical staff are seconded over from other jobs, some are retirees returning on a temporary basis.

The Marshall are all volunteers, as far as I know.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

I agree. In fairness though, Sage said "It's a mutation we are concerned about" and the newspapers have translated that into "We're all going to die - twice".

Absolutely with the media. Something is rotten with it in the UK. In their utter desperation for the next "story" to keep the desperate 24/7 news agenda rolling and maintain ratings, they continue to try to terrify the public. Everyone who is vulnerable has now been vaccinated. Inevitably the virus will mutate and different versions will become more prevalent every year from now on, but it doesn't matter as people will no longer get seriously ill. And it doesn't matter as we are the most vaccine-friendly country in the world so everyone is being jabbed and transmission will continue to fall away. 

It's easiest to give the figures for England only as they're immediately finale today. Out of a population of 56.3 million (2019):

• 818 people are in hospital and have tested positive for Covid.
  • 115 of those are on ventillators.
  • The rolling 7-day average of people dying each day (within 28 days of a positive test) is 8.7

Your chances of dying from Covid on any particular day are now in the same ballpark as winning the lottery. Now everyone who's in any danger is vaccinated, there's no mechanism for it to get worse.

Yes, in the future it's possible there might be a virus mutation resistant to the vaccines, just as in the future we might discover an asteroid on a collision course with Earth. If that happens we can deal with it. We've shown we can develop, test and roll out vaccines quickly as required.

28 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Absolutely with the media. Something is rotten with it in the UK. In their utter desperation for the next "story" to keep the desperate 24/7 news agenda rolling and maintain ratings, they continue to try to terrify the public. Everyone who is vulnerable has now been vaccinated. Inevitably the virus will mutate and different versions will become more prevalent every year from now on, but it doesn't matter as people will no longer get seriously ill. And it doesn't matter as we are the most vaccine-friendly country in the world so everyone is being jabbed and transmission will continue to fall away. 

It's easiest to give the figures for England only as they're immediately finale today. Out of a population of 56.3 million (2019):

• The rolling 7-day average of people dying each day (within 28 days of a positive test) is 8.7

Your chances of dying from Covid on any particular day are now in the same ballpark as winning the lottery. Now everyone who's in any danger is vaccinated, there's no mechanism for it to get worse.

Yes, in the future it's possible there might be a virus mutation resistant to the vaccines, just as in the future we might discover an asteroid on a collision course with Earth. If that happens we can deal with it. We've shown we can develop, test and roll out vaccines quickly as required.

This. The problem is if the media say something like  now COVID risk is like the flue (and i am not saying it is btw!) then a) it is no longer a news story and b) the government will loose control of  the public. Numbers are looking pretty good at the moment, indian variant is a concern, granted, but is it so bad that BOJo can put into doubt the full release on the 21st June?

3 hours ago, TexasRam said:

You were saying the same thing last September. We are all hoping you aren't wrong again.

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

It seems people get overly angry with the media when they know the government they vote for is hopeless. A strong, competent government would render this supposedly horrid media useless. But the government is not good.

Before the 1st wave, most of the media downplayed the danger, likewise the government. They were both wrong.

Before the 2nd wave, most of the media were regularly vilified for highlighting the dangers, whilst the government told us there was nothing to worry about.

We really want things to get back to normal now, but there are some potential dangers from the Indian variant. I wish we were able to make decisions based on scientific rationale, but that ship sailed years ago. Experts are now scum.

We, the people, get the politicians and the media we deserve. Your typical tabloid reader blames the tabloids for killing Diana without a hint of irony. We think all politicians are corrupt and self-serving then vote for those who don't even pretend not to be.

In 2027, we'll probably be saying that the media are terrible for saying the 18th wave could be as bad as the 17th one.

49 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It seems people get overly angry with the media when they know the government they vote for is hopeless. A strong, competent government would render this supposedly horrid media useless. But the government is not good.

Before the 1st wave, most of the media downplayed the danger, likewise the government. They were both wrong.

Before the 2nd wave, most of the media were regularly vilified for highlighting the dangers, whilst the government told us there was nothing to worry about.

We really want things to get back to normal now, but there are some potential dangers from the Indian variant. I wish we were able to make decisions based on scientific rationale, but that ship sailed years ago. Experts are now scum.

We, the people, get the politicians and the media we deserve. Your typical tabloid reader blames the tabloids for killing Diana without a hint of irony. We think all politicians are corrupt and self-serving then vote for those who don't even pretend not to be.

In 2027, we'll probably be saying that the media are terrible for saying the 18th wave could be as bad as the 17th one.

I disagree. Cases, hospitalizations and deaths were all falling in late November and it looked as if we were through the worst of it. Then came the B117 Kent/UK variant, much more transmissible and so it spread quickly and too hold. It was unexpected. So it became a race between the vaccination campaign and the spread of the new variant. The government and its scientists took very bold decisions, on the balance of risk, such as only giving one dose to vaccinate more people (Faucci in the US and the EU scientists were very disparaging) and strictly vaccinating the most vulnerable in order, despite the calls in the media and political opponents to vaccinate teachers etc first.

As you'd expect in an unprecedented situation, our politicians have got some things wrong but they've got a lot right. And these were brilliant calls in the teeth of fierce opposition, the government working hand in hand with the experts. The difference between then and now is the race to vaccinate before the virus spread was won. The Indian variant simply cannot cause the mayhem the B117 variant did because everyone vulnerable has been offered the vaccine and almost all of those have had it. It's possible if it proves really bad that cases and hospitalizations may go up a bit, but not to any kind of level that jeopardizes healthcare. We're at the stage when the thing is endemic and we will just have to live with it as a regular disease like everything else, coming back a little towards winter as seasonal respiratory viruses do. 

The Influenza virus mutates every year and that's why all over 60's are offered a flu vaccine every Autumn/Winter season. The flu jab is also available to everyone else as long as they pay for it, which is about £8 per jab.

We'll learn to live with Covid like all other viruses, and except hundreds of cases and deaths every winter like we do with influenza. 

Also other problems, such as smoking, obesity and respiratory issues are factors when a virus takes hold, which will determine if you live or die with the Covid, or influenza.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I disagree. Cases, hospitalizations and deaths were all falling in late November and it looked as if we were through the worst of it. Then came the B117 Kent/UK variant, much more transmissible and so it spread quickly and too hold. It was unexpected. So it became a race between the vaccination campaign and the spread of the new variant. The government and its scientists took very bold decisions, on the balance of risk, such as only giving one dose to vaccinate more people (Faucci in the US and the EU scientists were very disparaging) and strictly vaccinating the most vulnerable in order, despite the calls in the media and political opponents to vaccinate teachers etc first.

As you'd expect in an unprecedented situation, our politicians have got some things wrong but they've got a lot right. And these were brilliant calls in the teeth of fierce opposition, the government working hand in hand with the experts. The difference between then and now is the race to vaccinate before the virus spread was won. The Indian variant simply cannot cause the mayhem the B117 variant did because everyone vulnerable has been offered the vaccine and almost all of those have had it. It's possible if it proves really bad that cases and hospitalizations may go up a bit, but not to any kind of level that jeopardizes healthcare. We're at the stage when the thing is endemic and we will just have to live with it as a regular disease like everything else, coming back a little towards winter as seasonal respiratory viruses do. 

Yep I make you right , the biggest problem now is the fear instilled in vast numbers of people in this country and the fact that the fear tap is being kept on despite the gains in vaccines, treatment ,data and understanding of the virus , the other day a convertible car drove past me with the roof down and a driver wearing a mask ffs??‍♂️,

the rise in ocd over the last 10 years is an epidemic and so so damaging for sufferers with inhibited  lives full of anxiety and fear , fear of germs , fear of touching anything , fear of each other , constant hand washing and cleansing not at sensible levels but obsessive need to stay safe ,,,now this , you can see it in children all around you if you care to look and I really fear for the future ,their lives and the lives of their children ,

those with overhyped fear in them now regards this virus will dismiss the above as covid denial as usual but ffs where is the balance , where is the long term view ,

ive said before there is only one thing worse than the fear of dying,,,,, the fear or living ,,,,,,that’s where w are headed ,a world where people are scared stiff and unable to live normal happy lives , paralysed by fear of everything and everyone 

16 hours ago, Coconut said:

(At the Arena now waiting for my mum to have dose 2)

I was waved in by the car park marshal, having already seen the plethora of one way arrows/exit only signs etc, and promptly reversed into the first parking bay, immediately adjacent to the entrance to my rows of parking bays.
I then sat and waited for Muckerette to go in and have her jab.  I was there a good ten minutes, and witnessed 7... count them... SEVEN... drivers attempt to go out the wrong way.  And that was from my pair of rows only!

The marshal had to stop incoming traffic, then point the drivers out from the rows (the wrong way), then left turn away from the entrance/incoming traffic, so they could get back on track and re-join the one way system, all whilst waving his arm in a very large scale anti-clockwise rotation, ending with a high, long point towards the far side of the car park/Arena!

Personally, I'd have got "Jobsworth Syndrome", denied them any egress through the access point, made them do a multi-point turn within the car park itself, whilst videoing them, and downloading to YouTube!  ?

12 hours ago, TexasRam said:

I agree, its left the government between a rock and a hard place in a way because of the criticism they have received, im glad to see they are pushing ahead with the road plan mostly (apart from scotland).

Lets hope the surge vaccination etc gives the confidence and results to keep going.

I read in the media yesterday numbers were up 67% but in fact they arent, they are at the level they have been at for a few weeks now. And anyway its the deaths and hospitalisations that matter not the cases and they continue to reduce.

Deaths and hospitalisations are low, as long as they remain that way we could have 20k a day and it shouldnt affect our road map.