Morgan Whittaker - joined Swansea permanent deal

Day

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

... That's Archie 

Oh sorry .

Posted the wrong picture.

But good luck on your move to Swansea Morgan. 

Im sure you will keep in touch and follow Derby’s progress 

8B9B5819-A937-464C-BA97-3AC6850F064C.jpeg

Edited by Curtains

So for context, Morgan has eclipsed anything Bobby Duncan has ever done at youth level. Liverpool sold him to Fiorentina for 1.8 million.

And for me @Carl Sagan, has it right. He has similar characteristics to Thierry Henry and for those old enough to remember; Wenger played Henry wide left for a good couple of years until he’d matured.

Not every player is ready to make the jump from youth team to first XI at the same age. And those that breakthrough earlier do not necessarily go on to have better careers.

I would much prefer us to retain Morgan and let him grow with us. A run of starts towards the end of the season once relegation isn’t a worry, and you might just get a different player next season. Those writing him off should think where we’d be now if Max Bird had been sold off for 700k after the Villa game.

And finally, we have no idea on Wayne’s eye for a player and bar youth players and the last window under Cocu our recruitment team have been a little underwhelming to say the least. Where’s the guarantee we’ll spend the money wisely? The thought of selling Morgan just to fund Phil Jones lying in the treatment room for four months is criminal.

A player that’s frustrating to watch. He always looked like he isn’t bothered. Yet he’s had some decent attempts on goal from quite a way out ? I think if he put as much effort in as knight and chased everything and busted a gut doing so. Fans wouldn’t want him gone. The talent is obviously there ?‍♂️ I think Rooney would only let him go with some major add ons 

28 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

So for context, Morgan has eclipsed anything Bobby Duncan has ever done at youth level. Liverpool sold him to Fiorentina for 1.8 million.

And for me @Carl Sagan, has it right. He has similar characteristics to Thierry Henry and for those old enough to remember; Wenger played Henry wide left for a good couple of years until he’d matured.

Not every player is ready to make the jump from youth team to first XI at the same age. And those that breakthrough earlier do not necessarily go on to have better careers.

I would much prefer us to retain Morgan and let him grow with us. A run of starts towards the end of the season once relegation isn’t a worry, and you might just get a different player next season. Those writing him off should think where we’d be now if Max Bird had been sold off for 700k after the Villa game.

And finally, we have no idea on Wayne’s eye for a player and bar youth players and the last window under Cocu our recruitment team have been a little underwhelming to say the least. Where’s the guarantee we’ll spend the money wisely? The thought of selling Morgan just to fund Phil Jones lying in the treatment room for four months is criminal.

I also think we should of kept Morgan as he’s a very good prospect 

Whittaker would be an awesome player for a team if they had the time and luxury to be able to play a player purely to develop them, instead of fighting their way clear of the relegation zone.

He's not a winger or a centre forward but more of a Rashford / Greenwood type player. Someone who starts on the wings and cuts inside early to finish the ball into a corner of the goal. 

I think it's really unfortunate we're losing him but as a player, Cooper will be most likely to coach him to fulfil his potential.

49 minutes ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Doing a disservice to the lad, likely to go on and be far more prolific than Henry ?

I really don't understand how people are questioning his attitude and his mentality. To me, it's just unconscious racial bias. From what I know and what I've seen, people shouldn't be questioning his attitude or mentality. The stuff he's done for the community and delivering food to the food banks every week has shown he's a credit to the club.

4 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I really don't understand how people are questioning his attitude and his mentality. To me, it's just unconscious racial bias. From what I know and what I've seen, people shouldn't be questioning his attitude or mentality. The stuff he's done for the community and delivering food to the food banks every week has shown he's a credit to the club.

What a load of bull.... Attitude of some players will always be called in question, whether they are white, black, green, yellow, multicolored or whatever. Tom Lawrence's attitude has been questioned quite frequently, as has many other players over the years. I find your quest searching for unconcious racial bias somewhere where there is none quite distasteful to be honest with you, and has nothing to do on a football forum.

1 minute ago, DanS1992 said:

What a load of bull.... Attitude of some players will always be called in question, whether they are white, black, green, yellow, multicolored or whatever. Tom Lawrence's attitude has been questioned quite frequently, as has many other players over the years. I find your quest searching for unconcious racial bias somewhere where there is none quite distasteful to be honest with you, and has nothing to do on a football forum.

I'm sorry but you've literally proved my point. Lawrence has done things for his attitude to be questioned, like continuously getting booked, there was also a bit of a scandal that happened in 2019, not sure if you can remember it? 

If you could please expand on why Whittaker's attitude can be questioned, I'll happily retract my point, but for now, all you're doing is proving it.

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

I'm sorry but you've literally proved my point. Lawrence has done things for his attitude to be questioned, like continuously getting booked, there was also a bit of a scandal that happened in 2019, not sure if you can remember it? 

If you could please expand on why Whittaker's attitude can be questioned, I'll happily retract my point, but for now, all you're doing is proving it.

Right back at you. If you can find people questioning his attitude, then please let me know. From what I have read, most people are saying that he doesn't seem good enough when he has played. I for one am not questioning his mentality, he seems like a really nice lad and I am sure he is. However, I don't think he fits into Rooney's style, notably the denfensive side of of his game. I can remember quite a few times when he lost the ball he didn't bust a gut to track back.

The main reason he's leaving is nothing to do with his personality,ability,skill.application or dedication to the cause it's purely and simply we need to rebuild and and are literally open to offers for ALL members of our squad who are not current regulars (and some who are). 

It's as simple as that. Its all about fiance.

1 hour ago, Shang said:

Whittaker would be an awesome player for a team if they had the time and luxury to be able to play a player purely to develop them, instead of fighting their way clear of the relegation zone.

He's not a winger or a centre forward but more of a Rashford / Greenwood type player. Someone who starts on the wings and cuts inside early to finish the ball into a corner of the goal. 

I think it's really unfortunate we're losing him but as a player, Cooper will be most likely to coach him to fulfil his potential.

Spot on, we aren’t in a position to bring him through at the minute. It doesnt do him or the club any good to keep him for his potential at this stage. 

Even without him there’s atleast half a dozen very good prospects in or around the first team at this time.

Hes done alright for the first team in my view, made some important contributions to goals too but needs a season where he can get game time and develop and it won’t happen here when we have a relegation scrap.

Edited by TuffLuff

I’ve not questioned his attitude but have questioned his mentality. I think he has everything to be a top player apart from the confidence and self-belief that he belongs at this level. If he can get that, he will rip this league up and become a good premier league footballer, if not he’ll be championship/league 1. 

Shame we can’t keep him, we’re obviously trying to build and you just can’t see him making jump here this season or next season. I was hoping this season would be his breakthrough year, but it hasn’t happened despite brief moments of promise. Some players need a move to make that jump. Hopefully he’ll flourish at Swansea as he seems a top lad, very humble (maybe too humble), and we get a good sell on fee or even better, maybe even one day he’ll be playing for us in the premier league.