Morgan Whittaker - joined Swansea permanent deal

David

Very happy to see him go. Strength of a piece paper in a gale.

The fact we’re getting money - wow.

If they have a future % as a protection even better. If he does ever move for a  higher value that’s because Swansea progressed him - staying here he may never do that.

And can you imagine him on our current pitch lol.

Not happy about this at all. Of all our starlets coming through I think this guy has the most potential. He has all the attributes, pace, power (when he wants to use it), great touch and balance, he can get a shot off and he can finish. His issue is he at the moment he doesn’t believe he belongs at this level, at times he plays without conviction. If he doesn’t sort that out then he won’t do anything in the game. If he does - he could have a huge future in the game because he has everything in terms of ability and physical attributes.

But in our position how long can we wait, he might need a move to kick him into action.

Interesting one this - he needs to play and he might want to leave because he just hasn’t shown anything in the first team in all reality in his bits and pieces appearances 

£700,000 seems fair because we wouldn’t get that from anybody else currently apart from a parachute payment club but I do hope that we have a bit of a sell on clause if he comes good 

2 hours ago, abertawe_ram said:

From what I've seen of Whittaker he makes me think of Bamford a bit (I don't mean that as an insult).  He must be a pretty good finisher if you look at his goal stats in the youth leagues. But he doesn't have any standout attirutes in terms of pace, strength,  trickery or aggression that convince you he can play as a winger or as a centre forward. 

With the right coaching and the right set up I think he could develop into a good striker (as I begrudgingly admit Bamford has), but currently I don't think he'll get there with us. The financial situation means it makes sense for us to cash in and free up a place in the squad for someone better suited to what we need now. 

I hope he goes on to do well if he leaves (and even better if he ends up staying) 

I disagree. He's got all of that. What he hasn't got yet is confidence and a consistent run of games. 

36 minutes ago, LazloW said:

The staff see him train everyday and will have a good idea of whether he will ever ‘make it’ at Derby. If they’ve decided he won’t - and with all due respect, they’re probably better judges than we are - then getting a decent-ish fee (and you’d assume a sell on) isn’t bad. Only time will tell if it was a mistake, but I won’t be losing sleep.

Reminds me a bit of losing Luke Thomas. Bit disappointed on the basis of losing potential, but he’s now on loan in League 1 so you never know. 

My concern is that he has gone to club in a better position, with a manager who works with young talent. If Swansea are willing to gamble on him, then why haven't we?

It concerns me that Sibley gets such little game time and now we have ditched another young talent.

If we had signed a young player from Man Utd/Liverpool and so who had Whittaker's U23 record we'd be loving it.

Those must the the two leaving that Nixon was on about. With Whittaker, we haven’t really seen enough of him to know whether it’s a good move letting him go or not. We’ve obviously got enough players in Lawrence, Jozwiak and Waghorn to be able to live without him in wide areas, but at the moment he’s our only other striker option instead of Kazim-Richards. We probably need two strikers to come in now we’ve let him go, so I hope to goodness we’ve got some lined up in those incoming players.

Disappointed with both of those fees though. With Whittaker’s potential, and his international recognition, I’d be expecting a minimum of 4m. And even with Evans, he’s still fairly young and has plenty of Championship experience, so I’d be expecting a minimum of a million.

22 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

I disagree. He's got all of that. What he hasn't got yet is confidence and a consistent run of games. 

You rate Whittaker very highly then?  Interested to know have you seen a lot of him play at the various levels? 

I wonder if that's why I'm less impressed by him, since I've only seen the 1st team cameos when he's looked a bit nervy and passive 

Picked for the England U20s, a great goalscoring record in the youth leagues and a beautifully clean striker of a ball when it comes to his shooting. I'm not surprised another Championship team is eager to take him at a bargain-basement price. Should have been 2-3m plus add-ons. Starting out on the wing he reminds me a lot of a young Thierry Henry.

But if I have to choose between Whittaker being shipped out for peanuts or Sibley, I choose to keep Sibley in the hope he can catch Rooney's eye and transform our forward play, and be worth 30m in a couple of years rather than the few hundred thousand we might be tempted to sell him for now.

Whittaker has been in and around the first team now for a few years and he hasnt made any impact the same way Buchanan, Knight, Bird & Sibley have. If he stays here he will be treading water, will make the odd matchday squad whilst its 9 subs, once its down to 7 he will vanish, then a new manager comes in and he will get another chance but not really impress and vanish again until he leaves on a free.

He has scored 1 first team goal and that was a lucky header after he missed a sitter originally. His only other notable impacts I can remember is winning the freekick for Martin's equaliser vs Forest last season. Cant think of anything else he has done?

1 hour ago, rammieib said:

Very happy to see him go. Strength of a piece paper in a gale.

The fact we’re getting money - wow.

If they have a future % as a protection even better. If he does ever move for a  higher value that’s because Swansea progressed him - staying here he may never do that.

And can you imagine him on our current pitch lol.

Don't understand the hatred towards Whittaker. He's hardly been given a proper chance. Out of his 25 games for Derby, he's started 2 times and played the equivalent of 5.5 games. 1 goal and 1 assist in that time. Is this really a fair chance? Difficult to continue influencing games when you come on for 5/10 minutes every time you play. Looked decent in his cameo vs Norwich and just unlucky vs Stoke.

We could massively regret this because there's certainly a player there, as anyone who's watched the academy has seen. 

45 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

The interesting thing to see though is - will he ever get it? 

Some footballers have all the attributes and never make it cos their head isn't quite right for one reason or another - Bennett for example is very technically proficient but his decision making isn't good

The classic example (for me) from out relatively recent past was Stephen Pearson who was unplayable in the games his head was right and his confidence was high - but that was once in a season (if that) 

Some players never gain that confidence in first team football - I think Whittaker seems to lack the arrogance that great forwards have - And if there's anyone capable of working out if a young player has the right mentality it's our current manager 

8 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Picked for the England U20s, a great goalscoring record in the youth leagues and a beautifully clean striker of a ball when it comes to his shooting. I'm not surprised another Championship team is eager to take him at a bargain-basement price. Should have been 2-3m plus add-ons. Starting out on the wing he reminds me a lot of a young Thierry Henry.

But if I have to choose between Whittaker being shipped out for peanuts or Sibley, I choose to keep Sibley in the hope he can catch Rooney's eye and transform our forward play, and be worth 30m in a couple of years rather than the few hundred thousand we might be tempted to sell him for now.

I have my concerns that we are just becoming a team of grafters. In part I can see why, but the sale of Whittaker and the non shows of Sibley concern me.

I have no idea what level Whittaker could reach but the fact a team looking at being in the Prem next season has taken a gamble on him should say something. Why are we seemingly pleased to be selling our own potential for 700k? Is that amount really worth it?

I am still disappointed we gave up on Elsnik!!

6 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Don't understand the hatred towards Whittaker. He's hardly been given a proper chance. Out of his 25 games for Derby, he's started 2 times and played the equivalent of 5.5 games. 1 goal and 1 assist in that time. Is this really a fair chance? Difficult to continue influencing games when you come on for 5/10 minutes every time you play. Looked decent in his cameo vs Norwich and just unlucky vs Stoke.

We could massively regret this because there's certainly a player there, as anyone who's watched the academy has seen. 

The thing is, a lot of young players have been used these past 2 seasons and Whittaker hasnt grabbed his chance the same way the others have. The reason he hasnt had more playing time is because he hasnt shown enough to deserve it, if he had he would have played. He has had 2 academy centre mids in Knight & Sibley play out wide ahead of him and now JML seems to have overtaken him too, there must be a reason for this?

Yes he may end up having a good career and im sure all Derby fans hope that he does, but I just cant see it ever being in a Derby shirt. 

1 minute ago, BondJovi said:

I have my concerns that we are just becoming a team of grafters. In part I can see why, but the sale of Whittaker and the non shows of Sibley concern me.

I have no idea what level Whittaker could reach but the fact a team looking at being in the Prem next season has taken a gamble on him should say something. Why are we seemingly pleased to be selling our own potential for 700k? Is that amount really worth it?

I am still disappointed we gave up on Elsnik!!

I think the situation we are in means we have to rely on grafters to get us out the mess.

Come the summer I feel like we will start to see what sort of team Rooney wants to build

Bit disappointed in this tbh, seemed like he has a lot of potential for growth and could ironically be exactly what we need in terms of attacking threat and goals if he had a run of games and time to build some confidence. Hope I’m wrong but I think we might look back at 700k for him as horrible business. That said young players are inevitably a gamble and we might see more of this type of sale with the model we’re going for. If we keep some of our best academy products and become more sustainable it’s hard to argue with it all I suppose

42 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

It’s not hatred. That’s a strong word. It’s just a number of us don’t believe he has what it takes to become a top class footballer. 

The game he was subbed as a sub was make or break for young Morgan ...Rooney needed to see a positive reaction ..

whether anyone thinks he’s good or not the one thing that stood out for me was his lack of desire and work rate and remember when we were under the cosh he was far too easy to beat ...good luck to the lad but a long way to go for him and not sure he’ll make it