Morgan Whittaker - joined Swansea permanent deal

Day

Best of luck to him with the move, hope we get to see him doing well there, as a Derby old boy ? 

I think to be honest we are doing the right thing, moving on players who can raise a fee, reduce the wages outlay a bit, with not too much impact in the near term. Gordon, Whittaker and Evans. Not 100% about Evans but if we are loaning in a lad from Man Utd then so be it. Seems decent management to me from Rooney.

Looking at values I think you can see how good a deal this is for Derby.

Liverpool are paying £2m for Ben Davies. Top championship centre back. Very highly thought of. 130 Championship games under his belt. 25 years of age. 

Whittaker has barely played and we'll have a decent sell on clause. 

Deals need to be in perspective and fees are much smaller this window.  Call it a Covid discount. 

Just now, gccrowdpleaser said:

Liverpool are paying £2m for Ben Davies. Top championship centre back. Very highly thought of. 130 Championship games under his belt. 25 years of age. 

Deals need to be in perspective and fees are much smaller this window.  Call it a Covid discount. 

Would of liked Davies here but doubt we have 2 million to spend on a single player 

2 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Have I really read people are comparing him to Thierry Henry? ?? the same Henry who by 20 had played nearly 100 games for Monaco at a scoring rate of under 1 in 5????

Everybody develops at different rates, direct age comparisons help nobody.

I doubt people are really thinking he'll be as good as Henry but drawing parallels between their play styles and the fact that it took a change of position for Henry to fulfill his potential.

There's a classy striker in there somewhere who scores with casual ease, his future doesn't lie on the wing. At the minute he's all technique but he's very naive in his play.

With the right development & put in the right team he could be a top Championship striker in 2 years, play in the PL in 3, but like many players whether that natural talent translates to a successful career hinges on a whole host of factors.

Edited by Coconut

13 hours ago, ollycutts1982 said:

Have I really read people are comparing him to Thierry Henry? ?? the same Henry who by 20 had played nearly 100 games for Monaco at a scoring rate of under 1 in 5????

Not saying he's like Henry or whatever, but you do realise Whittaker also has a goalscoring record of 1 in 5?

10 hours ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Hasn't Davies allowed his contact to run down and is a free agent in the summer ?

It's a great move for Whittaker - a clearly talented player who now has a coach who can develop him. It's no brainer for him. 

Disappointed with the fee, but this is where we are currently at. We need to move players like Whittaker to enable short-term improvements. It's a transfer that works well for both parties. 

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Just like wisdom then - would we take £2 million today - yes we would 

I meant the "bargain" fee is reflective that he could go for nothing in the summer so to use that as a comparitor for Whittakers fee is slightly skewed.

But can't grumble about 3/4s of a mill

29 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It's a great move for Whittaker - a clearly talented player who now has a coach who can develop him. It's no brainer for him. 

Disappointed with the fee, but this is where we are currently at. We need to move players like Whittaker to enable short-term improvements. It's a transfer that works well for both parties. 

I don't understand the logic. Fine, I understand we can't develop him now, but in 10-15 games time we might be in a position to give him a long run. Then decide his future come the summer.

Surely we should be the ideal club to develop players. If selling him covers the cost of loaning a couple of players for 6 months is that worth it?

I agree this is a great move for him. That in itself saddens me about the state our club is in.

This deal fits to a rare category of win-win-win-situation.

We need money to address more important issues in our lineup and our need is imminent. Whittaker is someone we can sacrifice.

For Swansea, this is low-risk investment. MW might turn into a bargain.

And for the player himself this is great opportunity. Clearly not in favour of Rooney so it's good to move on.

Everyone's happy, right? 

On 31/01/2021 at 06:44, big bad ram said:

Not sure how people are working out their valuations. If we bought him from another championship club for 2-4m with his current record, our scouting team would be crucified on here.

Post of the thread. Imagine if we purchases a kid from Rotherham today for a couple of million. One senior goal and two starts, but scored a decent amount at youth level.

7 minutes ago, Rab a dab doo said:

Why 6pm ?

Does have he have to have his tea first before they present him ?

Maybe they have a few they’re going to announce together or maybe we don’t want them announcing it just yet as it could drive up the prices on our targets.

Could even be social media related and that’s the best time to put stuff out, who knows these days!