Morgan Whittaker - joined Swansea permanent deal

David

I still think there's a very decent player in there and I suspect Cooper will have him in the gym bulking up a little as to my eye, the biggest issue right now, if you want to call it that, is he needs to be physically stronger.

Also think a lot of folk have mistaken his languid style for something that it's not, but some on here will look to find fault in anyone. One or two wee criticising Shinnie's performance today which conclusively proves that you can't please everyone! 

I'd have liked to see a higher fee, but in the current climate, it's probably a fair figure, though like others, I'd hope some add-ons are inbuilt as I do think the lad will be a much more effective player not so long from now. In any case, I like the lad and wish him all the best. Shame things haven't quite worked out for him but he's going to a decent club and I really hope he prospers there, though not against us, obviously!

I don't quite get the hype of Whittaker. A good attitude however I can't see where he would fit in this team. He'll definitely improve in the future, no better than a championship striker though. He's a rabbit in the headlights most of the match.

From what I've seen of Whittaker he makes me think of Bamford a bit (I don't mean that as an insult).  He must be a pretty good finisher if you look at his goal stats in the youth leagues. But he doesn't have any standout attirutes in terms of pace, strength,  trickery or aggression that convince you he can play as a winger or as a centre forward. 

With the right coaching and the right set up I think he could develop into a good striker (as I begrudgingly admit Bamford has), but currently I don't think he'll get there with us. The financial situation means it makes sense for us to cash in and free up a place in the squad for someone better suited to what we need now. 

I hope he goes on to do well if he leaves (and even better if he ends up staying) 

Edited by abertawe_ram

19 minutes ago, Uptherams said:

He's only 20 and he's being bought by another Championship team. Sorry but this is chump change. We can end up pissing away £10m on looking for what this guy will develop in to. 

I think this could prove to be a very poor deal for us. Would rather we made a decision in the summer on him.

18 minutes ago, abertawe_ram said:

From what I've seen of Whittaker he makes me think of Bamford a bit (I don't mean that as an insult).  He must be a pretty good finisher if you look at his goal stats in the youth leagues. But he doesn't have any standout attirutes in terms of pace, strength,  trickery or aggression that convince you he can play as a winger or as a centre forward. 

With the right coaching and the right set up I think he could develop into a good striker (as I begrudgingly admit Bamford has), but currently I don't think he'll get there with us. The financial situation means it makes sense for us to cash in and free up a place in the squad for someone better suited to what we need now. 

I hope he goes on to do well if he leaves (and even better if he ends up staying) 

Good resale percentage, I hope. So about £2.5 million in and wages bill down. Hopefully extra cash from Mel. Looking promising.

7 minutes ago, Rampage said:

Wayne wants improvement now.

He doesn’t even pick Sibley so why worry about giving Whittaker a bit of time. Just send him out on loan. 

Struggled to make an impact in many times when given chances. Didn't seem to have the aggression and desire of a knight, sibly or Buchanan but undoubtedly a very talented player in there. Maybe not suited to our style of play under Rooney?  Given our position on and off the pitch can see the logic in allowing him to go if he isnt banging on the first team door. Gutted in a way because I really, really want all of home grown lads to play 500 games for us and have a statue outside greggs one day. May just be the making of him. Good luck either way Morgan. 

This thread is brilliant! Opinions are either we've seen them coming, or it's us selling our talent on the cheap again (even though this is a massive myth and our sales record is pretty good). 

For what it's worth, I think it's about market value but he will never be sold for that much again. He'll be a decent lower end Championship/League One player.

39 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I think this could prove to be a very poor deal for us. Would rather we made a decision in the summer on him.

I'd imagine we'll have a decent sell on clause and other clauses too. But I completely agree. In potentially just 4 games it's time to start allowing more opportunities to the likes of this guy. 

In the same way I don't see any point in bringing on other young players for 3 minutes every so often. Absolutely shocking man management in my view. That's how you kill a players confidence, before they've even developed it. 

Today was another 1-0 win. What kind of message does it send to younger attacking players when older players get opportunities even though they can't score or assist. 

Really disappointed with this. He's always been a slow burner moving up the age groups & no surprise he's been slowest of our Academy graduates to make an impact.

There are signs though...the touches, the movement, the assist for Sibley's 3rd at Birmingham...when it clicks for him, I think his ceiling will be high.

Physicality has been mentioned a lot on this thread as has hard work. He's definitely a little broader than a year ago but feel confidence & regular game time are the bigger problems. Steve Cooper is no mug, will know what he's capable of & will relish developing Morgan to his potential. Think we'll regret this sale in time.

Morgan is not an aggressive player. Like it or not we are developing an aggressive team. So often we have lost to more aggressive teams. Becoming a thing of the past. Hands up who would want to take on Shinnie. He is approaching Roy Keane's approach - if you get past me once you are going to have get past me twice. He is basically Rooney's Roy Keane. Add Wiz, Clark, Knight and Bielik and it is not for the faint hearted. Most of our players come back after you if you beat them. Suits me.

The staff see him train everyday and will have a good idea of whether he will ever ‘make it’ at Derby. If they’ve decided he won’t - and with all due respect, they’re probably better judges than we are - then getting a decent-ish fee (and you’d assume a sell on) isn’t bad. Only time will tell if it was a mistake, but I won’t be losing sleep.

Reminds me a bit of losing Luke Thomas. Bit disappointed on the basis of losing potential, but he’s now on loan in League 1 so you never know. 

Edited by LazloW