Frank Lampard

Day

When I had to work with the cockneys down south last year none of them were bothered about how Tomori was doing with us. They only cared about Mount. Good to see they have changed their tunes now and definitely think he deserves the England call up - we aren't exactly blessed with dozens of quality centre backs right now.

In terms of the results it's gone almost exactly as I predicted to so far apart from the fact I expected us to beat Sheffield and draw/lose at Molineux.

Performance wise is where I'm surprised, he's absolutely massively exceeded my expectations in that regard. I didn't expect such a fluent attacking game this early or for our defending in open play to improve like it has in the last month (reason we're still conceding goals is set pieces and Kepa being a bit off).

When you see the hatchet job OGS is doing up North, it puts into perspective what a good coach Frank is already.pan widget

16 minutes ago, Dancfc said:

In terms of the results it's gone almost exactly as I predicted to so far apart from the fact I expected us to beat Sheffield and draw/lose at Molineux.

Performance wise is where I'm surprised, he's absolutely massively exceeded my expectations in that regard. I didn't expect such a fluent attacking game this early or for our defending in open play to improve like it has in the last month (reason we're still conceding goals is set pieces and Kepa being a bit off).

When you see the hatchet job OGS is doing up North, it puts into perspective what a good coach Frank is already.pan widget

Funny that... the reason we’re conceding goals is set pieces and Roos being a bit off 

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

Not if we win it. 

You could make an argument for going out whilst on top, doesn't get any bigger than winning the World Cup, would have been in charge for 6 years by then. Could walk into a cushty job in FA HQ where they pay themselves obscene amount of money or a number of clubs would be looking to offer him a job.

12 hours ago, David said:

Lampard will replace Gareth Southgate as England manager following the World Cup in 2022. 

Stick a fiver on it.

Lampard is absolutely nailed on to manage England, whether its 2022 or a year or two later. I'd be surprised if you could even get a bet on him being the next England manager tbh.

I will hold my hands up and say Lampard has done a reasonable job so far in the circumstances. To say anything else would be generous.

You look at the way Spurs, Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal have started the season and it probably makes Chelsea’s start look better than it actually is. 14 points from a possible 24 only looks impressive because a few other teams are in absolute freefall.

Looking at their fixtures, they have played four sides you would expect to finish in the bottom half, two top ten sides in Wolves and Leicester, and then United and Liverpool - so it’s been a challenging start, but not exactly impossible to negotiate, even for this current Chelsea side.

There’s plenty to be positive about, like how the young players have adapted. No-one could have imagined that Abraham, Mount and Tomori would take to Premier League football so quickly and só well. Lampard deserves credit for that - giving them the confidence and the belief to perform at this level.

I also think they can feel positive about the quality of football on show. They are scoring more goals and looking more dangerous as an attacking unit compared to last year, so again Lampard deserves credit for that too.

But at the same time, with Arsenal, Spurs, United and City all looking vulnerable, it must be disappointing that they have not capitalised and got more points on the board.

They have played well and still been comfortably beaten by United and Liverpool and they have also dropped points at home rather carelessly.

So I don’t yet see the wow factor about the job Lampard is doing. It’s not as if he has a squad that should be finishing 10th and he is overachieving, for example. 

Edited by Jourdan