Frank Lampard

Day

11 hours ago, cosmic said:

Something definitely happened during the negotiations between Derby and Chelsea in letting Frank and his team go. Jody Morris pretty much confirms this with his petty “Rolls Royce” Twitter comment. 

After the season we’d had and the relationships built, there’s absolutely no reason why we wouldn’t have been at the top of the loan list. Derby probably dug their heels in a bit (like we did with the recent investment story which also ended badly?).

Sorry, ignore. Just seen above.

On 28/10/2019 at 14:49, cosmic said:

Full disclosure - it may have been Instagram, a comment, or even an Instagram story. It was some cryptic back-handed comment about burning bridges and then expecting to be sent Rolls Royces. Around the time they left for Chelsea. Don't you remember?

It was a tweet. He said something like you burn your bridges then expect a yacht to be sent to take you back. 

3 minutes ago, David said:

Pleased for him, proving a lot of people wrong. Said it before and I’ll say it again, he will be the next England manager 

He's had the same effect on the mood at Chelsea as he had here. He's doing really well. England manager definitely but I can see him having 10 years at Chelsea first.

Lampard for England?

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Admittedly, the pool is shallow, but Frank is 18 games into his Chelsea career.

18 games as a top flight manager and he is being suggested for the England job?

Madness, but not so surprising in this insta-cap era of the national team. Southgate is like Oprah. You get a cap, you get a cap, everyone gets a cap. Might as well extend it to the manager’s job.

Seriously though, it’s an insult to every manager slogging away for their big break, while Frank was given his on a silver platter.

Does Frank’s job so far at Chelsea surpass the work Eddie Howe has done at Bournemouth, or Sean Dyche’s work at Burnley, or Chris Wilder’s work at Sheffield United, for example?

After all - with the exception of Ajax - Chelsea have only really beaten teams that they’d ordinarily be expected to beat.

Now if he can get this team to overcome adversity and win a few games against the traditional top sides as well playing a more attractive style, then he deserves all the credit in the world.

But for me, there are still question marks over Frank. He still has so much to prove. Personally if I was on that FA panel, I’d be thinking ‘Do we really need another manager who bottles the big games?’

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Does Frank’s job so far at Chelsea surpass the work Eddie Howe has done at Bournemouth, or Sean Dyche’s work at Burnley, or Chris Wilder’s work at Sheffield United, for example?

Did Southgate’s when he was appointed?

5 hours ago, Jourdan said:

Lampard for England?

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Admittedly, the pool is shallow, but Frank is 18 games into his Chelsea career.

18 games as a top flight manager and he is being suggested for the England job?

Madness, but not so surprising in this insta-cap era of the national team. Southgate is like Oprah. You get a cap, you get a cap, everyone gets a cap. Might as well extend it to the manager’s job.

Seriously though, it’s an insult to every manager slogging away for their big break, while Frank was given his on a silver platter.

After all - with the exception of Ajax - Chelsea have only really beaten teams that they’d ordinarily be expected to beat.

Now if he can get this team to overcome adversity and win a few games against the traditional top sides as well playing a more attractive style, then he deserves all the credit in the world.

But for me, there are still question marks over Frank. He still has so much to prove. Personally if I was on that FA panel, I’d be thinking ‘Do we really need another manager who bottles the big games?’

Southgate, for example, was groomed for the job. I think the FA have the same idea with Lampard. 

Is he better than the others? Well, currently he’s third in the league. Unless Howe and Wilder are first and second, then, yes, he is.

You can’t say he’s beating teams he’s expected to. At the start of this season, they weren’t expecting to beat anyone. They knew they were in trouble with the transfer ban, and probably thought they’d be lucky to get away with a season like United are having. They didn’t have faith in the kids to be performing this quickly. Their 3 star performers were championship players last season. Very good championship players, but still. He’s doing a remarkable job there really. 

No one’s suggesting he’ll be offered it tomorrow, but he’s definitely on the fast track. He’ll have a few season at Chelsea, and he’ll have to prove himself there. He’ll have to win some trophies. 

The Fa's attitude towards England manager isn't necessary about who is the best manager in England /available for the job.

Its one where you could see the FA deciding its what they want and if reality is inconvenient reality will be sidelined.

He's still in his honeymoon period with chelsea. I like Lampard a lot as a manager and I think he could become a very very good manager, but, let's not go overboard on a good season in the championship and a streak of good form with a top team with persistent concerns about his teams defensive qualities.

20 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

He’s clearly got better players at his disposal than the likes of Wilder. I’m not making any judgements, but to say that he’s better than any other English manager purely because he’s 3rd in the league is a bit ridiculous. 

I was being a bit facetious, but I think if he’s still there at the end of the season, then the theory becomes more sound. 

It’s not like he’s a Guardiola walking into a title winning squad and being given a blank cheque to improve it. 
chelsea weren’t that great last season, they lost their best player, and they’ve not been able to replace him.

mount, Tomori and Abrahams were just good championship players, having to replace Eden hazard and David luis.

22 hours ago, David said:

Pleased for him, proving a lot of people wrong. Said it before and I’ll say it again, he will be the next England manager 

Can't see that, if he takes the England job it will be either late on his career or if his reputation at club level takes a huge a hit ala Southgate. Very few young manager's take an international job let alone leave a job they've actively wanted since forever for it.

18 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I don't agree with that. Frank's in this position because he's devoted his life to the game. He's lived and breathed football and risen, on merit, to the very top. Regardless of who his dad or uncle are, he's in this position because of his own talent, hard work & professionalism. Yeah of course his family and connections gave him the best possible chance of success, but the levels he reached as a player could be achieved by very few.

24 minutes ago, Pastinaak said:

I don't agree with that. Frank's in this position because he's devoted his life to the game. He's lived and breathed football and risen, on merit, to the very top. Regardless of who his dad or uncle are, he's in this position because of his own talent, hard work & professionalism. Yeah of course his family and connections gave him the best possible chance of success, but the levels he reached as a player could be achieved by very few.

But I am not talking about his achievements as a player.

His fantastic achievements as a player shouldn’t come into the discussion. They are standalone.

I am saying in his managerial career, he has been handed jobs on a silver platter.

If he is being suggested for the England job, he should be judged on what he does as a coach/manager - and personally I think it’s way too soon to put him in the conversation.

14 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

His fantastic achievements as a player shouldn’t come into the discussion. They are standalone.

I am saying in his managerial career, he has been handed jobs on a silver platter.

If I wanted a job as a football manager and I'd had the career in football that Frank has had - I'd at least mention it on my my CV.