Frank Lampard

Day

On 10/10/2019 at 01:41, Jourdan said:

I will hold my hands up and say Lampard has done a reasonable job so far in the circumstances. To say anything else would be generous.

You look at the way Spurs, Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal have started the season and it probably makes Chelsea’s start look better than it actually is. 14 points from a possible 24 only looks impressive because a few other teams are in absolute freefall.

Looking at their fixtures, they have played four sides you would expect to finish in the bottom half, two top ten sides in Wolves and Leicester, and then United and Liverpool - so it’s been a challenging start, but not exactly impossible to negotiate, even for this current Chelsea side.

There’s plenty to be positive about, like how the young players have adapted. No-one could have imagined that Abraham, Mount and Tomori would take to Premier League football so quickly and só well. Lampard deserves credit for that - giving them the confidence and the belief to perform at this level.

I also think they can feel positive about the quality of football on show. They are scoring more goals and looking more dangerous as an attacking unit compared to last year, so again Lampard deserves credit for that too.

But at the same time, with Arsenal, Spurs, United and City all looking vulnerable, it must be disappointing that they have not capitalised and got more points on the board.

They have played well and still been comfortably beaten by United and Liverpool and they have also dropped points at home rather carelessly.

So I don’t yet see the wow factor about the job Lampard is doing. It’s not as if he has a squad that should be finishing 10th and he is overachieving, for example. 

lamps must have been gutted to play and be drubbed by United first up, cos they have been utter rubbish since then...…..

On 10/10/2019 at 01:41, Jourdan said:

I will hold my hands up and say Lampard has done a reasonable job so far in the circumstances. To say anything else would be generous.

You look at the way Spurs, Man City, Man Utd and Arsenal have started the season and it probably makes Chelsea’s start look better than it actually is. 14 points from a possible 24 only looks impressive because a few other teams are in absolute freefall.

Looking at their fixtures, they have played four sides you would expect to finish in the bottom half, two top ten sides in Wolves and Leicester, and then United and Liverpool - so it’s been a challenging start, but not exactly impossible to negotiate, even for this current Chelsea side.

There’s plenty to be positive about, like how the young players have adapted. No-one could have imagined that Abraham, Mount and Tomori would take to Premier League football so quickly and só well. Lampard deserves credit for that - giving them the confidence and the belief to perform at this level.

I also think they can feel positive about the quality of football on show. They are scoring more goals and looking more dangerous as an attacking unit compared to last year, so again Lampard deserves credit for that too.

But at the same time, with Arsenal, Spurs, United and City all looking vulnerable, it must be disappointing that they have not capitalised and got more points on the board.

They have played well and still been comfortably beaten by United and Liverpool and they have also dropped points at home rather carelessly.

So I don’t yet see the wow factor about the job Lampard is doing. It’s not as if he has a squad that should be finishing 10th and he is overachieving, for example. 

Good post.

I think the Chelsea fans see this season as rebuild and seem very happy with how its going so far. Playing so many kids who've come through the academy will always appeal to fans and give the manager breathing space. 

Frank's on a win win this season, keep the feel good factor going, play attacking football and build a great team spirit.

Its next season he needs to turn it to silverware.

• 3 weeks later...

Another good performance again today. Any fears about whether Frank was ready or not have been put to rest, I think. He seems to be have just carried on where he left off at Derby, playing and improving young'uns, trying to take the game to the oppo, pleasing the fans and winning plaudits. 

Sad that he, Fik and Mason had to go but happy to see them propering. We had some great nights with them at Derby and at very least I'm grateful for those.

7 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Another good performance again today. Any fears about whether Frank was ready or not have been put to rest, I think. He seems to be have just carried on where he left off at Derby, playing and improving young'uns, trying to take the game to the oppo, pleasing the fans and winning plaudits. 

Sad that he, Fik and Mason had to go but happy to see them propering. We had some great nights with them at Derby and at very least I'm grateful for those.

Miserable selfish sod could have loaned us a couple of decent prospects just for old times sake tho.......

Or perhaps he rang and our useless cretinous scouts put the phone down on him cos they didn't recognize the name.....?

37 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Miserable selfish sod could have loaned us a couple of decent prospects just for old times sake tho.......

Or perhaps he rang and our useless cretinous scouts put the phone down on him cos they didn't recognize the name.....?

In fairness Chelsea aren't loaning many out this season - only 27 of them... 

I assume our club just decided to somehow burn all of our bridges with Lampard and now we are black listed by Chelsea. Either that or our scouts are useless, but that couldn't possibly be true.

Burton Albion have more Chelsea loanees than we do!!

22 hours ago, GenBr said:

I assume our club just decided to somehow burn all of our bridges with Lampard and now we are black listed by Chelsea. Either that or our scouts are useless, but that couldn't possibly be true.

Something definitely happened during the negotiations between Derby and Chelsea in letting Frank and his team go. Jody Morris pretty much confirms this with his petty “Rolls Royce” Twitter comment. 

After the season we’d had and the relationships built, there’s absolutely no reason why we wouldn’t have been at the top of the loan list. Derby probably dug their heels in a bit (like we did with the recent investment story which also ended badly?).

11 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Something definitely happened during the negotiations between Derby and Chelsea in letting Frank and his team go. Jody Morris pretty much confirms this with his petty “Rolls Royce” Twitter comment. 

After the season we’d had and the relationships built, there’s absolutely no reason why we wouldn’t have been at the top of the loan list. Derby probably dug their heels in a bit (like we did with the recent investment story which also ended badly?).

Which tweet is this?

1 hour ago, Shang said:

It's pure speculation something bad happened during the negotiations, his Instagram post says otherwise.

As I mentioned before, our U23s are currently first place in PL2 against Chelseas U23s at 2nd.

Why in the world would we get a loan to develop their U23s when ours are as good or better?

Chelsea have got 27 players out on loan currently. How many youth players have we loaned out? Have we sent any out?

We are basically playing a full strength team whereas Chelseas best youngsters are all out playing first team football. 

On 27/10/2019 at 09:00, GenBr said:

There's only 6 been loaned out at this level though. I don't think we would have wanted any that have gone on loan at a lower level than us, and I don't think we would have had much of a chance getting any of them that have been loaned abroad to a foreign top-flight club (why play for Derby if you can play in the Bundesliga, or even in a Europa/Champions League side?).

Of the 6 left, I doubt we were in for any of them: Matt Miazga's loan to Reading is just an extension of a pre-existing move he made last season, so was probably never even a possibility; Trevoh Chalobah and Dujon Sterling at Huddersfield and Wigan are a defensive-midfielder and right-back respectively, positions we didn't really need loans for; Conor Gallagher had absolutely no experience at senior level so was likely overlooked for a more experienced midfielder in Kieran Dowell and probably not fancied over our own academy's midfielders, and that is probably why he's ended up at what was a relatively unfancied Charlton; Izzy Brown might have been an option, but I think him ending up at Luton would suggest that there were very few teams interested, especially as he has had a poor injury record over the last couple of seasons, and I would have imagined we would have beat Luton to the punch if we were interested; Jake Clarke-Salter at Birmingham is the only player I could realistically have seen us trying to get but despite hearing many clubs linked with him in the summer (including Swansea and Leeds), I never heard Derby in that, so I would have to assume he wasn't of interest to us.

1 hour ago, JfR said:

There's only 6 been loaned out at this level though. I don't think we would have wanted any that have gone on loan at a lower level than us, and I don't think we would have had much of a chance getting any of them that have been loaned abroad to a foreign top-flight club (why play for Derby if you can play in the Bundesliga, or even in a Europa/Champions League side?).

Of the 6 left, I doubt we were in for any of them: Matt Miazga's loan to Reading is just an extension of a pre-existing move he made last season, so was probably never even a possibility; Trevoh Chalobah and Dujon Sterling at Huddersfield and Wigan are a defensive-midfielder and right-back respectively, positions we didn't really need loans for; Conor Gallagher had absolutely no experience at senior level so was likely overlooked for a more experienced midfielder in Kieran Dowell and probably not fancied over our own academy's midfielders, and that is probably why he's ended up at what was a relatively unfancied Charlton; Izzy Brown might have been an option, but I think him ending up at Luton would suggest that there were very few teams interested, especially as he has had a poor injury record over the last couple of seasons, and I would have imagined we would have beat Luton to the punch if we were interested; Jake Clarke-Salter at Birmingham is the only player I could realistically have seen us trying to get but despite hearing many clubs linked with him in the summer (including Swansea and Leeds), I never heard Derby in that, so I would have to assume he wasn't of interest to us.

Baxter, Chalobah, Clarke-Salter, Grant, Nartey, Sterling, Castillo, Ampadu, Galllagher, Maddox, McCormick and Ugbo are all players loaned out by Chelsea who are eligible to play for their U23s. My point isn't whether or not we could get any of these players. My point is that Chelsea send a lot of their players out on loan to develop them, some have been promoted to the first team and they are still 2nd in PL2. All of our best players are still there. Its only my opinion, but I do believe at least some of our youth players should be sent out on loan to get experience of first team football if we aren't going to play them in our first team - theres only so much they are going to learn at u23 level.

However the likes of Tottenham, Everton, Leicester have no such excuse - they don't really have many youth players out at all, so we are genuinely better than their youth teams.

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Baxter, Chalobah, Clarke-Salter, Grant, Nartey, Sterling, Castillo, Ampadu, Galllagher, Maddox, McCormick and Ugbo are all players loaned out by Chelsea who are eligible to play for their U23s. My point isn't whether or not we could get any of these players. My point is that Chelsea send a lot of their players out on loan to develop them, some have been promoted to the first team and they are still 2nd in PL2. All of our best players are still there. Its only my opinion, but I do believe at least some of our youth players should be sent out on loan to get experience of first team football if we aren't going to play them in our first team - theres only so much they are going to learn at u23 level.

However the likes of Tottenham, Everton, Leicester have no such excuse - they don't really have many youth players out at all, so we are genuinely better than their youth teams.

I think you think I'm responding to a different post to the one I was responding to. I was responding to your post from the other day about us not getting any Chelsea loans this season. I was just saying that I don't get the feeling we actually really wanted any of the players Chelsea made available for clubs at our level.

1 hour ago, JfR said:

Chelsea loan out their older youth players. They only have 2 squad players aged 20 (none older) and only 2 over-age players have featured in youth games (3 apps total). However, from their loaned out players, only 3 are under 20, and only one of those is younger than Bogle. This is more or less the best 19 and under side Chelsea can field - James (2 U23 apps), Hudson-Odoi, Ampadu, Gallagher and Castillo the exceptions.
For Derby, most of this season's regulars are made up of those eligible for the U18s last season - JBrown, Minkley, Buchanan, Bird, Knight, Sibley, Dixon, Whittaker.
Chelsea's youth setup is well established as it's been well funded for over a decade. We've only just started playing with the big boys. A few more years down the road and the age of our U23s will undoubtedly match Chelsea's.

6 hours ago, David said:

Which tweet is this?

Full disclosure - it may have been Instagram, a comment, or even an Instagram story. It was some cryptic back-handed comment about burning bridges and then expecting to be sent Rolls Royces. Around the time they left for Chelsea. Don't you remember?

42 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Full disclosure - it may have been Instagram, a comment, or even an Instagram story. It was some cryptic back-handed comment about burning bridges and then expecting to be sent Rolls Royces. Around the time they left for Chelsea. Don't you remember?

Can’t remember that tbh, be surprised if it was about us. Sarri wanting Jorginho maybe? 

1 hour ago, David said:

Can’t remember that tbh, be surprised if it was about us. Sarri wanting Jorginho maybe? 

Possibly! At the time I took it with a pinch of salt, especially taking into account his love letter to the fans after he left. But then again there’s no reason why he couldn’t have written that for the fans and still have a chip on his shoulder with the club.

Not that it makes much difference if he meant us or not. We shouldn’t be pinning all our season’s disappointments on not being sent another Mason Mount. 

11 hours ago, cosmic said:

What did the rolls Royce comment say ?