Keogh Sacked

Nuwtfly

There will be no grounds for appeal. The insurance against injury will be a key component of a players contract.  It's the clubs protection against being saddled with the salary of a highly paid player with a long term injury. Within the players contract will be a series of stipulations about what they can and can't do in line with the insurance policy. A set of conditions if you will. Players will sign up to them in their own contract in order to protect the club. Exclusions to cover will be in there...things like bungee jumping, skiing, riding a motorbike. All activities that are considered to have a higher than normal risk of injury if participated in. There will also undoubtedly be a clause for knowingly and wilfully putting themselves at risk such as getting in car with people know to be intoxicated. 

Now put aside the drink driving incident and assume Keogh went off on a family holiday skiing and bust all his knee. Should the club be saddled with the cost for his indiscretions. No because it was very clear what they can and can't do. It will have been very very very clear in the contract he signed that agreed to pay him £25k per week. He broke the terms of his contract resulting in additional none insured costs to Derby of salary, medical and rehabilitation costs.

Whilst the other clowns were very lucky not have injured themselves and incurred the same wrath I expect that it is almost impossible to link drink driving out of the work place to 'gross misconduct' as they weren't at work.

It's an unfortunate consequence of an abhorrent incident on all parts.

Had they sacked the other two I suspect they would be in court for unfair dismissal. However Keogh appears to be a clear incident of gross misconduct that would be stipulated in his contract. 

In my opinion they have been generous in offering him reduced terms to stay on. The good will would appear to be there yet no reciprocated. He has been paid the best part of £7million by this club over the last few years. To be permitted to stay on half a million pounds per year when you have clearly breached your contract can only be considered generous.

The whole incident is shameful. The handling has been poor - in particularly the statement on the outcome - although I don't think I have seen anything official from DCFC as yet.

The full story never gets revealed as it is bound by confidentiality clauses and so newspapers, ITK's and other players will attempt to fill in the blanks. Some with truth. Some fallacy.

His actions represent gross misconduct based on his contract and his inability to perform his job due to his own poor decisions. That couldn't be clearer.

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

So I will be at PP on Saturday and I aim to show my support  for Keogh. I’m really not happy with the club at the moment. 

he had a contract of employment, the salary is irrelevant, and DCFC have sacked him and kept two others on who were:

1, convicted of a criminal offensive 

2, not injured 

3, are of an age that they still have a transfer value.

this is not right and sorry Mel, brings the reputation of the club into disrepute 

we are an honourable club, honour his contract 

The club are obviously saying he broke the terms of the contract.

If the salary is irrelevant why dont you pay it on  behalf of the club? You seem a honourable person so sure you will have no problem doing this?

Nobody at Derby instructed Lawrence and Bennett to have an absolute skinful on a team bonding night and then choose not to use the taxis laid on by the club, nobody told the club captain to then get into the car of one of the aforementioned knowing that they would be inebriated.

I have total sympathies with the club as this was a situation that they did not create but like any employers still therefore required resolution afterwards. In this last aspect they have failed to deal consistently and proportionally with these 3 staff which quite rightly has invited criticism of the club which has been within their sphere of influence but they then have failed to do so. A poor situation made far worse by the subsequent mismanagement by the senior managers at Derby.

7 minutes ago, Bristol City said:

Derby have been caught between a rock and a hard place.

Had Keogh got into his own car drunk, crashed and bust his knee I suspect that most football fans would applaud their decision to sack him for gross misconduct as they feel that rsh footballers think they can get away with anything.

Derby's problem is that the actions of Mount and Lawrence in the same incident makes it appear that their stance and action over Keogh is  motivated more by hard financial prudence that moral indignation.

Following on from Pride Park Gate it does not paint the club in the best moral light.

I think this highlights how much you actually know about the events of the night, so not even sure why you are taking pot shots at our club.

30 pages of conjecture. People have become experts on misconduct proceedings, law, and clearly have access to the collision report as well as any internal fact finding the club conducted because there’s so much stated on here about what should and shouldn’t have happened. 

it’s bound to happen as we know he’s been sacked and we have only a few “club statement” lines. Therefore as fans we want/need to discuss it but a lot of people are coming up with verdicts with less information than the club has and chastising the club for what has happened. Hopefully in 14 days time we will hear more and can take a better standpoint on the situation. Until then I’ll reserve judgement. 

It’s like a conversation I had with my brother in law when the drink drive story came out. He called them a disgrace and that they should be sacked, he’s a spurs fan.  I asked him if Lloris was sacked? He laughed and said he was barely drunk and these two we next level drunk and are a lot worse. After the court hearing it transpires that neither of them blew near Lloris’s reading which was over twice the limit. Point is people judge from bits of information when they should wait for more facts. 

11 hours ago, Bristol City said:

Ok is it’s easy for us all to be moral about this....but as several of you have said above, the other two were the ones that broke the law.  In some respects you could argue the club should be supporting Keogh.  Just imagine he was sober and it had happened.

Derby not coming out of this situation very well at all.  They’ve handled it very poorly imho.

How would @Bristol City have handled it? Myself, I think the Club have handled it correctly. They have been put in an invidious position; the crux is that Keogh is no longer able to fulfill his contract due to self-inflicted injury; was offered a reduced contract which he declined leaving the Club with no alternative. 
It’s all straightforward if the facts are adhered to.

The Club have been badly let down by certain players and I feel sorry for Mel Morris. 
The whole thing is tough on Keogh too but he is the architect of his own downfall I’m afraid. 

My initial reaction last night was to hope the club had done their homework on this, but this morning i can help but feel a bit gutted by this. I know Keogh divided opinions but for me he was an excellent player for our club, and its such a shame it has ended in this way.

I also feel that the Lawrence, Bennett furore had died down but feel this will reignite it as it divides fans yet again, those that feel Keogh deserves it and those that feel he is being made a scapegoat and the punishment is severe compared with that received by Lawrence and Bennett.

The optics on this are pretty bad, the club will look like the bad guys on this unless they come out and give the reason, why which they may never do. 

To many people especially those on the outside this just looks like Keogh being treated more harshly than the other two and with no reason to believe otherwise you can kind of understand that viewpoint.

8 hours ago, GadFly said:

The bit that's weird is this; if he's so unable to work, if his conduct was so appalling, why has he been offered reduced terms at all? Why was he only dismissed after refusing to accept said terms? 

Perhaps the new revised offer by the club was seen as a "Gesture of goodwill", him being the captain/long time servant/nigh on ever-present etc.

There are limits as to just how good one's will can stretch, of course!

33 minutes ago, Dcfcsr92 said:

So got off lightly compared to keogh yet them 2 are the 2 who broke the law the most i agree with him being let go but tge other 2 should of gone as well! 

Without getting into a debate about their footballing abilities, who would have suffered by sacking Lawrence and Bennett? Not them. Another club somewhere would have signed them and their footballing careers, on exorbitant salaries, would have carried on. The club probably did as much as they could in terms of punishing them.

Who gets injured at work and takes home full pay..all this I feel sorry for keogh,mels wrong he shouldn’t of sacked him ffs,give your head a wobble’folks,I think personally he a greedy t@@t now refusing a pay cut,why would you refuse it.not like he gonna be doing much else is it for a good while.who wouldn’t mind doing fa for a few grand a week.

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

So I will be at PP on Saturday and I aim to show my support  for Keogh. I’m really not happy with the club at the moment. 

he had a contract of employment, the salary is irrelevant, and DCFC have sacked him and kept two others on who were:

1, convicted of a criminal offensive 

2, not injured 

3, are of an age that they still have a transfer value.

this is not right and sorry Mel, brings the reputation of the club into disrepute 

we are an honourable club, honour his contract 

I’m at PP Saturday and paying good money to watch. I’d like to see Keogh playing, I’ve liked him for 7 years. 

He can’t play, he did something very stupid and can’t play for a very long time. We shouldn’t honour £25k PER WEEK, to somebody who can’t play for that long. He’s decided to walk away from the club when the club offered him a good deal. Greedy bstard thought he should get more, Wker. 

Well done Derby, you are dealing with this the best way possible and the only party coming out with any credence. 

If people have already forgot, Morris is having to deal with something that Should never have happened and is veering too far away from our season. 

Good riddance to Keogh and the other two when the time is right. 

9 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

It could be inferred that Keogh was discriminated against regards his disability to be able to play as a footballer to wit his long term injury thereby making him a worthless asset whereby his colleagues even though they also committed acts of gross misconduct were not 

He’s not disabled, he’s injured and in recovery and this was because of his own negligence. In most companies there will be a sick pay clause that they will not pay if you are injured playing sport, you should claim from your clubs insurance. This is kind of the reverse of that.  

17 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

The optics on this are pretty bad, the club will look like the bad guys on this unless they come out and give the reason, why which they may never do. 

To many people especially those on the outside this just looks like Keogh being treated more harshly than the other two and with no reason to believe otherwise you can kind of understand that viewpoint.

This is not about punishment. Keogh has injured himself. He can no longer do what he’s paid to do. He was offered reduced terms in reflection of this. Bennett and Lawrence are still fit and able to do what they’re paid for. 

So no differential treatment. It’s a very Sorry situation but the Club has done what it’s been left with little choice to do. No hidden agendas, no conspiracy. 

It’s amazing how many people are suddenly claiming that this is the right thing to do blah blah blah.

when it happened I posted that all three should be suspended pending the outcome of the investigation, and that the culprits  should be sacked if the judgement went a certain way. there were plenty prepared to take issue with me and not a single poster argued that Keogh should be sacked.  Not one. The club had apparently handled it all very correctly etc etc. . Now all of a sudden the little worms have turned.

The worst culprit in the whole affair was Lawrence. Pissed. Drove. Smashed into Bennett. Injured a passenger. Abandoned the scene. But he committed an ‘indiscretion’. 

Total hypocrisy.