Watchable telly

dog

2 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

Shout out for Unforgotten on ITV player. Just done series 4. A good, solid whodunnit. Less fanciful than line of duty , and the better for it in my view.

Really liked the previous few series. I'm making my mum wait until I'm back from Budapest so we can watch the latest one together.

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

Another shout for Unforgotten, a slow burner that doesn't attempt to trick the viewer, but instead develops at a natural pace and invites you to invest in the characters.

As for Line of Duty, it's more promising than the last series, not hard, but Kelly McDonald just looks too young to be such a senior officer.

If I hadn't already watched the previous series I probably wouldn't bother.

Anyone watched the man in room 301 so far? 

7 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I pretty much stop watching any series or film I hate (and it happens fairly often) and stop reading any book that isn't sucking me in or educating me.

I wish I could do the same, but only when it comes to books, at least!

Even books I've thought are terrible, I have to read to the end. I end up resenting such reads, and the time they've stolen from me, but I can't stop until the end for some reason.

9 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Why did you carry on watching after series 2 when you started to notice such aircraft carrier-sized plot flaws?

With Your Honor I just couldn't take any more by the 5th episode so I didn't torture myself by plodding on.

I pretty much stop watching any series or film I hate (and it happens fairly often) and stop reading any book that isn't sucking me in or educating me.

Binge watched it waiting for the great reveal but when it came to light that there are only four characters left in the whole series it kind of fell to pieces before my eyes. Unless they do a Scooby Doo style reveal, where the criminal gets ten seconds three scenes before the end, then I don't really see how they can bring it around in a satisfactory manner. 

TBH - it's my biggest bug bear with just about every TV series I see, they have a great idea, get themselves into it and then can't get their way out. Also, as @JoetheRam points out, the pull of another series nearly always proves too much and these things get stretched way beyond the point at which they should have quit.

Life On Mars / Ashes to Ashes was one of the few notable exceptions in this, two series, all pulled together with an ending that was clearly thought up before scripting started and thank you.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Another shout for Unforgotten, a slow burner that doesn't attempt to trick the viewer, but instead develops at a natural pace and invites you to invest in the characters.

As for Line of Duty, it's more promising than the last series, not hard, but Kelly McDonald just looks too young to be such a senior officer.

If I hadn't already watched the previous series I probably wouldn't bother.

Anyone watched the man in room 301 so far? 

Kelly Macdonald is 45 - seems a long time since she was a starkers schoolgirl in Trainspotting.....

2 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Binge watched it waiting for the great reveal but when it came to light that there are only four characters left in the whole series it kind of fell to pieces before my eyes. Unless they do a Scooby Doo style reveal, where the criminal gets ten seconds three scenes before the end, then I don't really see how they can bring it around in a satisfactory manner. 

TBH - it's my biggest bug bear with just about every TV series I see, they have a great idea, get themselves into it and then can't get their way out. Also, as @JoetheRam points out, the pull of another series nearly always proves too much and these things get stretched way beyond the point at which they should have quit.

Life On Mars / Ashes to Ashes was one of the few notable exceptions in this, two series, all pulled together with an ending that was clearly thought up before scripting started and thank you.

5 series in total though, wasn't there?

2 of Mars, 3 of Ashes?

Currently enjoying Toast of London on Netflix. 

Matt Berry plays a voice over artist and occasional actor (Stephen Toast) who finds himself in crazy situations. 

Great cast with Robert Bathhurst as his room mate, Harry Peacock as his nemesis Ray bloody Purchess, and the lovely Tracy Ann Obermann as Purchess's wife and Toast's lover. 

Very funny. 

5 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Matt Berry plays a voice over artist and occasional actor (Stephen Toast) who finds himself in crazy situations. 

Great cast with Robert Bathhurst as his room mate, Harry Peacock as his nemesis Ray bloody Purchess, and the lovely Tracy Ann Obermann as Purchess's wife and Toast's lover. 

Very funny. 

Its one of those shows that appeals to a certain sense of humour. A couple of friends of mine just wet themselves at every line and the missus thinks its genuis...I find it mildly amusing. No belly laughs just quirky and knowing.

Something like 'The League of Gentlemen' has no real story but I find its ideas and weirdness are strong enough to not need them. I felt 'Toast' fell somewhere between total farce and sitcom. 

I preferred 'Back' with Mitchell and Webb. Has more of a story that I kinda cared about. 

38 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Its one of those shows that appeals to a certain sense of humour. A couple of friends of mine just wet themselves at every line and the missus thinks its genuis...I find it mildly amusing. No belly laughs just quirky and knowing.

Something like 'The League of Gentlemen' has no real story but I find its ideas and weirdness are strong enough to not need them. I felt 'Toast' fell somewhere between total farce and sitcom. 

I preferred 'Back' with Mitchell and Webb. Has more of a story that I kinda cared about. 

Yeah, agree it's an acquired taste. 

I really love Peep Show but wasn't as keen on Back. 

Mind you, anything which brings a laugh right now is welcome. 

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Very funny. 

Good news...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2021/toast-of-tinseltown

(It's coming back. Sort of)

2 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

If you can handle subtitles, I recommend Lupin on Netflix. Can’t really tell you much about the story without spoilers. 

I enjoyed it a lot, but there are only 5 episodes available over here and it's left dangling in the middle of the story.

Edited by richinspain
Put one too many episodes

If anyones in the mood for a subtitled documentary about corruption in the Romanian healthcare system, and let's face who isn't, this is well worth a watch.

Storyville, Collective: Unravelling a Scandal:

www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000tpzn via @bbciplayer

Edited by Rev

Caught a bit of Countryfile last night - nearly spat my tea out when natural blonde Ellie Harrison said she was going to be taking the camera for a good look at “The Golden Triangle” - maybe I missed the crucial part when I popped out of the room for a couple of minutes, but all I saw was a programme about daffodils and poetry.....

4 hours ago, Gaspode said:

Caught a bit of Countryfile last night - nearly spat my tea out when natural blonde Ellie Harrison said she was going to be taking the camera for a good look at “The Golden Triangle” - maybe I missed the crucial part when I popped out of the room for a couple of minutes, but all I saw was a programme about daffodils and poetry.....

You need to watch Countryfile After Hours mate. Phwoar!