Watchable telly

dog

Been bingeing my way through The Crown recently. Bit late to the party, as I'd thought I'd not enjoy it, but in actual fact, it's really rather good. It's largely very well cast and offers a fascinating, if mildly fictional re-run through modern British and world history.  

A surprisingly captivating Asanović out of 10.

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Been bingeing my way through The Crown recently. Bit late to the party, as I'd thought I'd not enjoy it, but in actual fact, it's really rather good. It's largely very well cast and offers a fascinating, if mildly fictional re-run through modern British and world history.  

I did same and was equally surprised (missus made me watch it initially).

Favourite episode was the one where Prince Charles was at Uni in Wales.

I enjoyed it but felt it was never quite the same after Claire Foy and Matt Smith left. 

Honourable mentions too for Vanessa Kirby and Erin Doherty as early Princess Margaret and Princess Anne. 

Historically inaccurate but often great entertainment. 

On 14/05/2021 at 23:42, Eddie said:

Finally got around to watching Peaky Blinders.

Half way through season 4 now, and it's taken a while, but I'm now enjoying the black comedy as opposed to being baffled by the utter ludicrousness of the plots. Really enjoying Tom Hardy's portrayal of the Alfie Solomons character.

It is an absolute masterpiece, deserves far wider recognition. The tihrd series is the weak link, you're back in a better place as soon as you get to four. But the next series should be the last one, it needs wrapping up now.

2 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

I enjoyed it but felt it was never quite the same after Claire Foy and Matt Smith left. 

Honourable mentions too for Vanessa Kirby and Erin Doherty as early Princess Margaret and Princess Anne. 

Historically inaccurate but often great entertainment. 

Agree with this. For me anyway, the first two seasons were by far the best. 

On 17/05/2021 at 11:38, BaaLocks said:

It is an absolute masterpiece, deserves far wider recognition. 

I agree it's a masterpiece, but I'm not sure it could have much wider recognition when half the professional footballers in the country adopted ludicrous PB haircuts.

It's even started to gain traction in the US when they historically struggle with anything British that doesn't involve outrageously posh accounts or Benny Hill chasing scantily clad ladies and a small bald man round and round in circles.

17 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Started 'Mare of Easttown'. 

US detective drama with Kate Winslet as the grizzled, irritable lead. Much better than expected so far. 

She's brilliant in it

By all accounts HBO wanted her glammed up but she refused saying that's not how hardened cops are, which of course is true.

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

She's brilliant in it

By all accounts HBO wanted her glammed up but she refused saying that's not how hardened cops are, which of course is true.

Watched last night’s and stopped breathing for a while. Gripping!

On 16/05/2021 at 18:44, 86 Hair Islands said:

The budget for flowers alone must be more than most other TV series!

It's cleverly scripted too.

Most of things depicted did happen, but often at different times and have been time shifted to suit the narrative.

5 minutes ago, Rev said:

The budget for flowers alone must be more than most other TV series!

It's cleverly scripted too.

Most of things depicted did happen, but often at different times and have been time shifted to suit the narrative.

The scope and sweep of it all is quite astounding to be honest. Series 1 cost a reported $130 million and season 5 is apparently budgeted at double that figure.

Have to say though that it is the sum of its parts. It is very cleverly written, but I suppose there's an enormous foundation on which to build. Rather looking forward to season 5, I have to say!

StartUp Has good reviews but I'm only a few episodes in and Otmara Marrero and Adam Brody spending every scene screeching hysterically at each other is already boiling my swede. The casting of Martin Freeman as a scary fed is equally grating. He's a ducking hobbit not a hardman and his attempt to do a passable yank accent is cringeworthy. 

Does it get any better or should I just give up?