Watchable telly

dog

1 hour ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

StartUp Has good reviews but I'm only a few episodes in and Otmara Marrero and Adam Brody spending every scene screeching hysterically at each other is already boiling my swede. The casting of Martin Freeman as a scary fed is equally grating. He's a ducking hobbit not a hardman and his attempt to do a passable yank accent is cringeworthy. 

Does it get any better or should I just give up?

I liked first two seasons. Third season didn’t have Freeman in and felt like they were stretching a thin plot as far as they could. 

word of advice, watch on Amazon so you get the subtitles for the Russian dialogue. Or if on Netflix, put subtitles on. 

4 seasons behind, but just getting into Snowfall.

On iPlayer, it's a look at the US coke scene in 1983 that is going to turn into the US crack scene rather shortly it would seem.

It's also looking at the US funding (with money from drug sales) of the Nicaraguan contras - or at least that's what I presume it is because they h mentioned them, or the country, by name yet.

I know there was a woman who was a serious player in LA back then and I'm wondering (4 episodes in) if the character they have is based on her because it's unusual to have a woman 'boss' like that.

Really well acted with some lovely dark humour, and I like the 40 minute or so long episodes. 

Expecting big things.

3 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

4 seasons behind, but just getting into Snowfall.

On iPlayer, it's a look at the US coke scene in 1983 that is going to turn into the US crack scene rather shortly it would seem.

It's also looking at the US funding (with money from drug sales) of the Nicaraguan contras - or at least that's what I presume it is because they h mentioned them, or the country, by name yet.

I know there was a woman who was a serious player in LA back then and I'm wondering (4 episodes in) if the character they have is based on her because it's unusual to have a woman 'boss' like that.

Really well acted with some lovely dark humour, and I like the 40 minute or so long episodes. 

Expecting big things.

I’ve just finished the 1st season after completely forgetting about it when it first came out. It’s also on Disney+ of all places lol. 

On 19/05/2021 at 14:34, Mostyn6 said:

Anybody else bothered with Better Than Us on Netflix yet? 

Dean Saunders/10

Just finished this tonight. I was struggling with it after about the first 8 or 9 episodes. It came back stronger towards the end though.  That ending. Surely there's more ?

Thanks for the recommendation ?

Late to this thread so apologies for no doubt several duplicates but a list of shows I've watched and enjoyed but that also haven't (yet) been cancelled aka Daredevil / Designated Survivor such that you're left hanging:

Game of Thrones

The Vikings

Black Sails

Homeland 

Luther

Line of Duty

Temple

Strike Back

The Flight Attendant 

Chernobyl

The Tunnel

The West Wing

Snowpiercer 

To The Lake

Fear The Walking Dead

The Boys

Jack Ryan

The Underground Railway

Love, Death & Robots

Bridgestone

The Last Kingdom

Black Mirror

Altered Carbon

Ragnarok 

Star Trek Discovery

Lost in Space

The Witcher

Stranger Things

Umbrella Acadamy

The Sinner

The Fall

Barbarians

Unbelievable 

Banshee

Ozark

Mindhunter

Glitch

6 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Late to this thread so apologies for no doubt several duplicates but a list of shows I've watched and enjoyed but that also haven't (yet) been cancelled aka Daredevil / Designated Survivor such that you're left hanging:

Game of Thrones

The Vikings

Black Sails

Homeland 

Luther

Line of Duty

Temple

Strike Back

The Flight Attendant 

Chernobyl

The Tunnel

The West Wing

Snowpiercer 

To The Lake

Fear The Walking Dead

The Boys

Jack Ryan

The Underground Railway

Love, Death & Robots

Bridgestone

The Last Kingdom

Black Mirror

Altered Carbon

Ragnarok 

Star Trek Discovery

Lost in Space

The Witcher

Stranger Things

Umbrella Acadamy

The Sinner

The Fall

Barbarians

Unbelievable 

Banshee

Ozark

Mindhunter

Glitch

From that list, I've only seen line of duty and the West Wing. I'm at work so no time to add all that up, but it must be a huge number of total episodes ?

west Wing alone is over 150. 

13 hours ago, ketteringram said:

From that list, I've only seen line of duty and the West Wing. I'm at work so no time to add all that up, but it must be a huge number of total episodes ?

20 hours ago, BucksRam said:

Game of Thrones

The Vikings

Black Sails

Homeland 

Luther

Line of Duty

Temple

Strike Back

The Flight Attendant 

Chernobyl

The Tunnel

The West Wing

Snowpiercer 

To The Lake

Fear The Walking Dead

The Boys

Jack Ryan

The Underground Railway

Love, Death & Robots

Bridgestone

The Last Kingdom

Black Mirror

Altered Carbon

Ragnarok 

Star Trek Discovery

Lost in Space

The Witcher

Stranger Things

Umbrella Acadamy

The Sinner

The Fall

Barbarians

Unbelievable 

Banshee

Ozark

Mindhunter

Glitch

Seen about 20 of them.. 

Gomorrah, Sopranos, Dexter and 24 are glaring omissions for me ? 

Solos - it's kind of Amazon's answer to Black Mirror done in the time of Covid. Think Alan Bennett's Talking Heads but only talking about time travel and cybord replacements rather than whether or not Marjorie's scones had too much fruit in them.

Cast looks great, so wanted to like it but half way through the Helen Mirren one you realise there is just no content behind it all. And the constant reference to 'products' to try and make it relevant (Verizon, obviously Alexa, Zoom etc, etc) just jars.

Gerry Daly / 10 for me.

On 23/05/2021 at 05:53, ketteringram said:

West Wing was a fantastic series.  Having commuted to London for well over a decade to work I've used the train journeys to watch a lot of this, or binged late nights.  

14 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Seen about 20 of them.. 

Yeah, my bad - Sopranos and 24 should be on the list.  I've never got round to watching Dexter or Gomorrah but know they come well recommended. 

33 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Solos - it's kind of Amazon's answer to Black Mirror done in the time of Covid. Think Alan Bennett's Talking Heads but only talking about time travel and cybord replacements rather than whether or not Marjorie's scones had too much fruit in them.

Cast looks great, so wanted to like it but half way through the Helen Mirren one you realise there is just no content behind it all. And the constant reference to 'products' to try and make it relevant (Verizon, obviously Alexa, Zoom etc, etc) just jars.

Gerry Daly / 10 for me.

Interesting as this is on my watchlist - did you finish it all?  You're putting me off......

Jupiter's Legacy (Netflix) - binged over a few nights.  Different take on the superhero genre (aka The Boys).  Quite enjoyed it. 

The Underground Railway (Amazon) - forgot to mention this should come with a warning.  It's a tough watch. The portrayal of how slaves and "Negros" were treated is horrendous.

14 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Seen about 20 of them.. 

Whisper it quietly, but Gomorrah may even be better than Breaking Bad and Peaky Blinders.

I'd also have Narcos up there, especially the first two seasons about Escobar, utterly outstanding.

Good time to binge Gomorrah @BucksRam as they just wrapped up filiming for season 5 coming this autumn. 

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/first-look-at-gomorrahs-fifth-and-final-season

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

OK ta - may hold off for now as one or two other things to watch i.e. The Gangs of London (which you'll probably now tell me is rubbish!).

Gangs of London is great. Storylines are barely credible but the action scenes more than make up for it. 

2 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Whisper it quietly, but Gomorrah may even be better than Breaking Bad and Peaky Blinders.

I'd also have Narcos up there, especially the first two seasons about Escobar, utterly outstanding.

Good time to binge Gomorrah @BucksRam as they just wrapped up filiming for season 5 coming this autumn. 

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/first-look-at-gomorrahs-fifth-and-final-season

Yeah thanks - going to add Gomorrah to my list finally ?

I too have seen the first 2 seasons of Narcos, but not anything subsequent hence didn't add it to my list (to be honest I had forgotten about it as watched it just before the first lockdown on my commute and not been commuting since).  Agree, the first two were brilliant seasons - loved the way they interspersed the real life footage.