Watchable telly

dog

I have now watched all 8 episodes of "My Grandparents War", A quote from Keira Knightly..."they came from ordinary backgrounds but did extraordinary things", These people sacrificed their lives for what they believed in, All survived but never told their stories.

I've done well out of life and I thank heaven and earth that I never went into conflict as they did...I thank them one and all.

It pulled all my heart strings and very nearly broke it.

Thankyou.

1 hour ago, BucksRam said:

What did you think of it?  We've just finished it - very Lost-esque but we enjoyed it.  Hope it doesn't go down a rabbit hole like Lost did, or in this case, a tree hole. 

loved it! but i liked lost until towards the end. but by then id got bored and stopped watching it!

but yeah very lost-eque. think even the sheriff actor may have been in lost? im not sure. i like the fact it raises more questions then answers.

i googled it and apparently theres a 2nd season coming out next year

2 hours ago, Ram-a-lama fa fa fa said:

loved it! but i liked lost until towards the end. but by then id got bored and stopped watching it!

but yeah very lost-eque. think even the sheriff actor may have been in lost? im not sure. i like the fact it raises more questions then answers.

i googled it and apparently theres a 2nd season coming out next year

He was in the original series. I put a review up a couple of months ago... the Lost comparison is hard to ignore.

Definitely worth a watch.

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Really enjoying rings of power on prime at the moment,sumptuous production values and visuals.

I have watched 4 I think. 

Overwhelming feeling of slightly 'meh'.

Plodding storylines and almost like they are trying to have too many divergent plots to distract you from the fact it's expensive but slightly dull.

Stranger Things. Again.

Loved season One. Season 2 was good. I'm finding season 3 a slog, though, with 2 episodes left. I'm persevering with it because everyone says Season 4 is great.

IMO It has become little more than annoying & stupid kids doing annoying & stupid things, something that the first 2 seasons managed to avoid.

7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Stranger Things. Again.

Loved season One. Season 2 was good. I'm finding season 3 a slog, though, with 2 episodes left. I'm persevering with it because everyone says Season 4 is great.

IMO It has become little more than annoying & stupid kids doing annoying & stupid things, something that the first 2 seasons managed to avoid.

Season 3 was a bit of a lull, but rest assured, season 4 more than makes up for it. 

On 07/10/2022 at 16:35, BucksRam said:

The Lazarus Project, Sky.  Finally got round to watching this time travel sci-fi, all about a secret organisation whose job it is to prevent mass-extinction events.  Really enjoyed this.  2nd season commissioned.  

Really enjoyed that.  Ludicrous, but enjoyably so.

Couple of recommendations - 

Bad Sisters - Apple TV+ - The latest from the brilliant Sharon Horgan

The Walk In - ITV - With Stephen Graham has started very strongly

Red Rose - BBC 3/Iplayer - A fun cross between Skins & Unfollowed 

The Resort - Sky/Peacock - Very good sci-fi comedy/drama from the makers of Palm Springs

House of The Dragon - Sky - Has gotten stronger & stronger as the seasons gone on

4 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Really enjoyed that.  Ludicrous, but enjoyably so.

Couple of recommendations - 

Bad Sisters - Apple TV+ - The latest from the brilliant Sharon Horgan

The Walk In - ITV - With Stephen Graham has started very strongly

Red Rose - BBC 3/Iplayer - A fun cross between Skins & Unfollowed 

The Resort - Sky/Peacock - Very good sci-fi comedy/drama from the makers of Palm Springs

House of The Dragon - Sky - Has gotten stronger & stronger as the seasons gone on

Thanks for taking the time on this.  Watching House of the Dragon - agree entirely it's gotten stronger. Not seen the others you mention so will take a look ?

On 13/10/2022 at 14:34, Wolfie said:

Stranger Things. Again.

Season 4 is a lot darker. First episode felt a bit much but makes sense as you get to the end. The longer episodes are good but maybe a tad too long. Some scenes stretch on for far too long. Still, good cast and good tension throughout.

I urge everyone to watch tonight's Emmerdale, and perhaps watch the last couple on catch up.

To set the scene, a localised  hurricane has hit the Yorkshire dales, and chaos ensues.

Not least in the editing and special efforts department, where despite them employing really big fans, they obviously couldn't stretch to a rain machine, or be arsed to digitally alter the backgrounds. 

Hence people are being blown off their feet, while the clouds above them are gently rolling by, barely disturbing the glorious blue sky in the background.

Curiously, the immense gale doesn't seem to affect the grass in most scenes, which lies lifeless and listless, as if such action was filmed during a prolonged British heatwave, perhaps?

The final denouement was perhaps the highlight. 

A herd of cows break loose from their shelter, and rush, and I use the term loosely, towards two helpless protagonists.

Normally, a farm keep cattle for milk or for meat, so they tend to look pretty similar to each other depending on the circumstances. 

Not in soapland though, these cow's are poster boys and girls for the entire species.

It's like the cows held a meeting, and decided a stampede was the perfect way to declare their diverse ethnicity to a wider audience.

In the end, two fit and healthy farmlands, with a 100m start over the Bovine sprinters, for some reason don't immediately jump over the 4ft fence that's corraling them on the same journey as the evil cows, but try to outrun them, Pamplona style. 

One ends up trampled, but uninjured, the other not only jumps the fence, which he could have done at any point previously, but also a 10m hay bale before launching himself into the great unknown.

Where he subsequently impales himself on a tractor which for some reason had been parked with its forks 6ft in the air.