Cardiff (H) - Match thread

Eoghan1884

Absolutely buzzing with the win, even hours later. Here’s hoping there will be more celebratory fist pumping and derrière slapping during the weekly shop in Tesco as the winter sets in!

Three wins from five, back to back to back home wins, a spot in the top half, a positive goal difference, some signs of good football developing, breathing space to the bottom three, and a good platform for us to build on in the autumn and the winter. What’s not to like?

I have to admit I was a bit fearful for us after such a poor pre-season and then Blackburn away, but we have responded ever so well since and you can see Warne and the staff behind the scenes are really starting to show how shrewd they are.

They deserve massive plaudits! We look like a real team with everyone playing their part and fighting for the cause. If you look at the performances of Yates, Jackson, Kenzo, JWZ, Nyambe and Elder in particular, the recruitment team and the coaching staff must be feeling ten feet tall.

It’s still a long season ahead of course and we still have tests to pass and lessons to learn. Warne and the players will need us when we hit a slump, for instance.

But if the first five games are anything to go by, everyone at the club is pulling in the same direction and will leave everything out there to make us proud. Let’s stick with them.

Edited by Jourdan

M1 was a nightmare and didn’t think we were going to get there , so annoyed and stressed we nearly turned round and went home ,,, glad we never ( hope I’ve dodged the speed cams )

love warne and the kind of team he wants to put out , the kind of culture and spirit he wants to build , credit to him and DC , in the stadium against Bristol and today it’s hard to believe we were where we were just a couple of seasons ago ,,,,, we will compete this season,

first half we were good and some of the one touch , flicks , runs and moves were a total joy to watch ( happy to pay good money to watch that kind of quality) , again we are so organised and hard working we are very good at controlling what the opposition can do with the ball ( having the ball all the time is not the only way to have some control over games ) which again came in handy as we lost our way a bit when ozo went off, we lost that bit of swagger and confidence but it’s a long season and you have to adapt and find wins when things go against you,,

KENZO ,,,,, he is looking like everything I hoped kinkladze was going to be for us , the Dutch georgie without the pies and a heap more workrate ,

credit to every other player today too , they come together as a team ,,,, there’s some good sides in this division and it’s a step up from last year but make no mistake, any team that beats us is going to need to be at they’re best , this bunch don’t lie down 

COYR 🐏💪

8 hours ago, May Contain Nuts said:

Why only two? It can also be a combination of both of those things and many more factors.

What it wasn't, by any stretch of the imagination, was Derby County overcoming a team showing their manager they were desperate to turn their fortunes around.

From our perspective it was a good first half performance and we kept them at arms length in the second, from theirs... as stated. Hopeless and worth the boos from their fans.

We wouldn't stand for a performance like that from ourselves, and thankfully we no longer have to.

Could be is not the same as can only be.

Maybe the Cardiff players wanted to show their manager a good performance but Derby County didn't let them.

Playing well means that there was worthy opposition, hardly hopeless.

Enjoyed that.

Some great football in the first half and deserved the lead.

Thought we were more pragmatic and then sat back a bit early in the second half …..but it yielded 3 points.

I thought Cardiff were OK - I thought their 27 was the best player on the pitch.

I can also see why they let Ebou go as I thought their number 3 was outstanding - he sniffed out danger like Shinniesta and he got them playing.

Like a few other posters, I’d say Elder deserves great credit. I’m a big fan of Fozzy and would have started with him this season but Elder is proving me wrong - he’s hardly put a foot wrong defensively and looks like a new signing as far a forward play is concerned.

Ebou’s miss………at least we’ll be able to say “we were there”. 

Two home wins. 6 points. +4 GD. 100%.  Two Saturday 3pm games…

Im back now, but if anyone wants to contribute for me to take another fortnight holiday abroad any time soon (and have a word with my boss for the time off work!), I’m prepared to make such sacrifices… for the good of the club, you understand!  
😎🐏

3 minutes ago, Archied said:

M1 was a nightmare and didn’t think we were going to get there , so annoyed and stressed we nearly turned round and went home ,,, glad we never ( hope I’ve dodged the speed cams )

love warne and the kind of team he wants to put out , the kind of culture and spirit he wants to build , credit to him and DC , in the stadium against Bristol and today it’s hard to believe we were where we were just a couple of seasons ago ,,,,, we will compete this season,

first half we were good and some of the one touch , flicks , runs and moves were a total joy to watch ( happy to pay good money to watch that kind of quality) , again we are so organised and hard working we are very good at controlling what the opposition can do with the ball ( having the ball all the time is not the only way to have some control over games ) which again came in handy as we lost our way a bit when ozo went off, we lost that bit of swagger and confidence but it’s a long season and you have to adapt and find wins when things go against you,,

KENZO ,,,,, he is looking like everything I hoped kinkladze was going to be for us , the Dutch georgie without the pies and a heap more workrate ,

credit to every other player today too , they come together as a team ,,,, there’s some good sides in this division and it’s a step up from last year but make no mistake, any team that beats us is going to need to be at they’re best , this bunch don’t lie down 

COYR 🐏💪

Yep such a good post! Listen to Elder’s post match interview it sums up how good it is to be playing in this team, for this management team and in front of these fans. Thought the crowd was excellent again today, whole ground joining with the south stand and so good to be hearing positive supportive chant/songs on the whole. The post match ovation for Ebou was fantastic, something special. I was excited going to PP today and elated coming away and I believe this is just the start. There will be losses but boy it won’t be because of a lack of effort or togetherness on the part of this team.

Really positive start - loving Kenzo,Ozoh and Ebou in the middle. Such a shame Ozoh injured although the unpunished constant fouls on him means wasnt surprising. His obvious dejection good sign of his commitment. Kenzo excellent signing - well done recruitment team. In second half he was running down the wing into the corner right near us and how he just read it and checked for a second to just beat the defender giving himself space was so simple but just classy. 

Their fans were most rubbish have seen at PP for yonks. Why bother coming if you're not going to support the team? Ref was just awful. However, sat away from our normal seats in west lower near south stand and some fans just randomly shouting abuse at the linesman from the start before he did anything. Do some people sit there just so they can do that? Bizarre. 

My considered thoughts - 

Very good first half, not so good second half.

No offence to Nat Williams/Kane Wilson/Joe Ward/Sonny Bradley but you’re gonna have to go some to get a game in this back 4.  

How nobody else fancied Nyambe last season, on a free, in League One, is beyond me.

Maybe those who moaned about the fact we spent the majority of our transfer budget on a goalkeeper will now understand why.

I was quietly confident that Elder would come good, but he’s been REALLY good so far this season.

Kenzo is an absolute baller.  If he carries on this trajectory he’s going to be POTY.

Jerry Yates looks like a player with a massive point to prove, whether that’s to his parent club, or to potential employers for next year.  I for one would hope we everything we can to sign him up permanently. Very good footballing brain, and runs his socks off for the team.  Add a few goals and he’ll be huge for us.

Think we might struggle a bit if Ozoh is out for a while.  Osbourne is steady, but we missed David’s sheer physical presence went he went off.

Still have enormous man love to Ebou.

A little closer to the Boro performance than the Brizzle one, but 3 points nonetheless.

The non-negotiables - energy, desire, commitment - have all been bang on since Barrow. This is looking like a *team*, fighting for each other, the little flicks and round-the-corner passes, things seem to be coming together.

First half was good but I would have loved another goal. Kept setting up traps and then got forward quickly. Second half not so much, never seemed to control the game after their change of shape.

Notable mentions for:

Elder - amazing what a good preseason does, he's gone up a level.
Goudmijn - gold mine by name, gold mine by nature, clever, technical but not afraid to do the hard work either
Eboooooouuuu - he's here, he's there, he's every-*bleep*-where.
Nyambe -  brick wall again.

Missed the Bristol game but back for this one. Really liked what I saw, much improved from Boro albeit against poorer opposition. That said I thought Cardiff were ok, decent side on paper and despite their start I thought this would be tough and so it proved. 

It was always going to take time to adjust to the championship but we seem to be improving. The new signings are also starting to look better. Lots of positive performances today, Elder looking really good, Nyambe class, Kenzo is unbelievable, one of the best talents we have owned since Will. What a signing. Yates also looks a good technical footballer - which I find confusing because I was led to believe Warne doesn’t sign technical footballers only athletes.

Ozoh has been the most impressive of the new signings and I think our downturn in performance can be traced back to him going off. Losing him is a massive blow.

3 home games, 3 wins without conceding and 2 away defeats against two teams above us and flying - and we had our moments in both of those games as well. There is genuine cause for optimism. It’s early days making sure we stay up is the first task but I’m starting to believe that maybe we could be midtable. Long way to go though but a very very solid start to the season. 

I don't know exactly why....but I really love this team of players.

More than I can remember. 

There's just something about the 'dynamic', and the characters dare I say?

The basics that I enjoy are there, like Billy's team we arent bullied and can mix it physically (Nyambe, Nelson), a few 'characters' that I'm proud are Derby players (Cashin, Wilson, Ebou) who play with pride and a massive smile on their faces, plus going forward we've got absolute pace to burn (Jackson, NML), and technical ability (Ozoh, Kenzo, Yates).

We look dangerous at set pieces, don't concede many goals. No more, one-paced 'how are we going to score' teams (dare I say like we could look with Bird, Hourihane).

Yesterday we deserved the win. Got the goal and then restricted Cardiff to pretty much nothing. Second half was eventless but that's what we wanted. 

I'm not saying we've cracked the code,  but when we play well I love the physical, pacey, skillful way we play. More enjoyable than lots of the games we won last season.

We actually have players who as a kid I'd have worshipped and I think that's been missing for a long time. JWZ, Ozoh, Adams, Kenzo.....are all players that make me smile and enjoy football that bit more.

Really hope we can see the team from the last couple of games a fair bit this season, with the odd 's***thouse 'boro' performance thrown in.

Edited by Chester40

16 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Pretty even so....

Oh goal. Yay!

16 hours ago, Mick Harford said:

Kenzooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1-0, lovely goal Elders cross, dummy, goal

16 hours ago, StevenageRam said:

Get in Kenzo

16 hours ago, Andicis said:

Lovely finish Kenzo. Great goal.

Oh FFS!  🙄...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952e9v9ds5hkg6kxh469k

#sorted