v Blackburn (A) Match Thread

Day

1 minute ago, On the Ram Page said:

Couldn’t wait, could you? Bet you wrote this earlier in the week. Fickle

Fickle would suggest that I have been a Warne fan at some point. Perhaps you should redo your GCSEs.

What I wrote was an accurate reflection of the game. We are currently the worst team in the league with the worst manager. It ain’t gonna end well.

EDIT: Okay maybe Rooney is worse. But still

Edited by Millenniumram

2 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Warne doesn’t know what to do with a midfield. Shocking last year when he admitted the plan is get it wide and lump it into the box because we are usually overrun in midfield. Paul that is where the game is won and lost, right there in the middle like chess.

Oooooooorrrr thats their first competitive game together … and it showed 🤷

seem to remember our midfield once he had added adams last year was a large part of our success.

give them time, the palace lad is clearly a Talent but hes a lot of learning to do 

2 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We ultimately got done by the strength of the bench but I said it a week or so ago, Cashin is going to get found out massively at this level.

For the positives, Ozoh looked much better 2nd half, Goudmijn showed nice glimpses. Though Nelson & Elder actually looked alright considering we conceded 4. 

NML looked way off it, also Osborn looked off the pace when Blackburn passed it around, he was a yard off it.

But Cashins played here before and was motm most weeks.  He needs to concentrate on defending and not hoofing it down the wing which pulls him out wide to make the pass, or having to push into midfield where he will get caught out.  His situation is being caused by the teams lack of collection and retention in midfield.   

Back five (inc keeper) looked out of their depth. Serious work to do. 

Goudmijn looks a good player but he will lose spirit unless he’s given footballers to play with. 

Ozoh looks strong but slow and limited in possession. Osborn is a journeyman. We need some pace in midfield and may have to revert to 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 for a couple of games.

No need to panic but it’s clear we will struggle for a while. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a division. It happened in league one too.

3 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Everyone blaming the players which is understandable but that was poor tactical management. Apart from a good 25 minutes the players didn’t look like they knew what to do. I couldn’t understand the game plan it’s just let’s hope we get a set piece. No pass and move. We need to adapt quick to this league or we are going to get left behind. Worrying as well the players looked knackered 60 minutes In. Also what they had changed the game off the bench and ours didn’t improve us 

Don't understand why they didn't take Jackson off and give brown a go

6 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Who remembers last season when we started abjectly in a league many were saying we should be pissing

we have a brand new midfield that need to gel and more arrivals 

many wanted warne out after 6, 10 games and on a bi weekly basis at any point after that

give them time folks 

As I said earlier, the difference this season is that an abject start leaves us bottom of the league with a mountain to climb, and we're not playing the likes of Cheltenham and Carlisle to do it.

We cannot afford to write off ten games hoping Warne suddenly pulls a coherent football system out of his arse.

Edited by JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta

And for those giving me grief for being there and saying I thought we did ok what do you actually expect?? We need a new keeper new CB new striker and are likely to struggle all season? Expect us to just turn up and roll teams over like we’re still playing Cambridge?

5 minutes ago, DB83 said:

I do not know whether to be encouraged or concerned after that. More of the latter than the former for sure, but two-thirds of the way through the game we looked the more likely winners.

Blackburn looked good, but is that because we made them look good, or because they have genuinely improved from last season??

Given the goals conceded pre-season, and another four today, the defence is a big concern rn, which is a surprise to me, as I expected us to struggle more in attack.

Still, game one, some good, more bad, let’s see where we’re at after 10 games 🙂

Blackburn didn't look good, I'm sorry 

When we put them under any kind of concerted pressure they looked extremely vulnerable 

We succeeded in basically gifting them their last 3 goals to atrocious defending 

1 minute ago, Topram said:

And for those giving me grief for being there and saying I thought we did ok what do you actually expect?? We need a new keeper new CB new striker and are likely to struggle all season? Expect us to just turn up and roll teams over like we’re still playing Cambridge?

I expect us to do the very basic things with a level of competence. We did not do that defensively. After we made it 1-1 that team simply fell apart and that is inexcusable. 

Just now, Anag Ram said:

Back five (inc keeper) looked out of their depth. Serious work to do. 

Goudmijn looks a good player but he will lose spirit unless he’s given footballers to play with. 

Ozoh looks strong but slow and limited in possession. Osborn is a journeyman. We need some pace in midfield and may have to revert to 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 for a couple of games.

No need to panic but it’s clear we will struggle for a while. Sometimes it takes a while to get used to a division. It happened in league one too.

Osborn is a player who ticks things over and looks to move it quickly.  He isn't a possession based player as he hasn't the tools. He won't get it here but with a swifter midfield looking to attack quickly, he'd do a good job.  Bet he wishes he was at Blackburn. 

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

As I said earlier, the difference this season is that an abject start leaves us bottom of the league with a mountain to climb, and we're not playing the likes of Cheltenham and Carlisle to do it.

We cannot afford to write off ten games hoping Warne suddenly pulls a coherent football system out of his arse.

Agree.. but its one game, our first as a team at a new level as a collective.

Totally new midfield that needs to gel and a window still open and noises from the club that theres still a lot lf business to do

Cashin played the second half like he was a fan who won a raffle ticket to play for the Rams. Unfortunately a fan who supported Notts Forest.

The plus point is that I thought Ozoh, Kenzo and Osborn looked like they could form a good midfield three. I do wonder how much we might use them under Warne.

Result disappointing, performance was good for the majority. I don't think it told us anything we didn't already know. We look open to counter at the back and haven't quite got the guile we need up top. In the end we were dominating the have but undone by some decent countering and a bit of nativity at the back.

Nothing about tonight made me too worried. We know where we need to strengthen and the team will adjust and improve to the challenges of Champ football.

We'll be reet.

Edited by RodleyRam