Paris Olympics

1of4

4 hours of watching boats with grinning idiots on them in the rain, add in some weird dance and singing with poor sound, hang the flag upside down and you have a perfect advertisement for France. 

In future lets have a parade of competitors in a stadium. Then some dignitary says, "I declare the games open!"

Save us from all this hyper expensive nonsense. 

Lot of empty seats at hockey. Pretty sure 2012 was all sold out in advance. I know France isn't as big on hockey, must most events in London were sold out, regardless of the sport. It's also much easier for people in Germany/Netherlands/Belguim to get too as well.

16 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I suppose things can only get better. This must be the worst opening ceremony. Hold it on the river so more people will see it, then close many of the nearby streets to the public for security reasons. 

I have to disagree. Any opening ceremony that features Gojira definitely gets my vote!

5 hours ago, FindernRam said:

4 hours of watching boats with grinning idiots on them in the rain, add in some weird dance and singing with poor sound, hang the flag upside down and you have a perfect advertisement for France. 

In future lets have a parade of competitors in a stadium. Then some dignitary says, "I declare the games open!"

Save us from all this hyper expensive nonsense. 

I applaud the French for trying something new in the opening. However, it wasn’t for me. I prefer to see all the athletes march into the arena and all congregate there, rather that sail by on a boat and disappear into the sunset. Thought it was a bit rubbish though I do like the tethered balloon with the flame

My Olympics hot take is that events with  degrees of difficulty and judges to decide who wins aren’t really sports. Im nuking most of gymnastics because as impressive and good as it is, its an artistic performance and being able to win because you supposedly tried something more difficult, even though you didn’t do it perfectly, is better than someone who nailed something supposedly easier. It’s nonsense.

Dont think football should be in it either. They should put in futsal or something similar. Rugby did it right by having sevens in it. Basketball the same, that shouldn’t be in it. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

My Olympics hot take is that events with  degrees of difficulty and judges to decide who wins aren’t really sports. Im nuking most of gymnastics because as impressive and good as it is, its an artistic performance and being able to win because you supposedly tried something more difficult, even though you didn’t do it perfectly, is better than someone who nailed something supposedly easier. It’s nonsense.

Dont think football should be in it either. They should put in futsal or something similar. Rugby did it right by having sevens in it. Basketball the same, that shouldn’t be in it. 

I agree! ANY sport that needs a judge (distinct from referee) or an animal should be dropped.

That gets rid of Boxing, Gymnastics, Surfing, Equestrian, Diving, Ski Jumping, Skateboarding, freestyle skiing, ice dancing. I'm sure there will be others but you get my drift!

I'd drop football and tennis as they have loads of top class competitions anyway.

One advantage is you can hold the opening ceremony in a stadium for a few bob and not take up 4 hours I'll never get back.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

I agree! ANY sport that needs a judge (distinct from referee) or an animal should be dropped.

That gets rid of Boxing, Gymnastics, Surfing, Equestrian, Diving, Ski Jumping, Skateboarding, freestyle skiing, ice dancing. I'm sure there will be others but you get my drift!

I'd drop football and tennis as they have loads of top class competitions anyway.

One advantage is you can hold the opening ceremony in a stadium for a few bob and not take up 4 hours I'll never get back.

What he said.

6 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Boxing was in the classic Ancient Olympics, so not sure I agree on the judge thing.

Definitely agree with the second, remove the sports where the Olympics isn't the most prestigious event, the peak achievement for someone in that sport.

7 hours ago, FindernRam said:

You could still have ski jumping just based on longest distance jumped.

9 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Boxing was in the classic Ancient Olympics, so not sure I agree on the judge thing.

Definitely agree with the second, remove the sports where the Olympics isn't the most prestigious event, the peak achievement for someone in that sport.

They didn’t have judges though. There was no time limit and no scoring system. The fight continued until one boxer either gave up or was incapacitated. A bit too barbaric to return but this shows how the sport has changed and originally wasn’t determined by the opinion of a judge or group of judges.

On 27/07/2024 at 20:36, Shipley Ram said:

Why didn't Priestman simply hold a press conference and sit smugly whilst showing a fairly standard powerpoint presentation on tactics? Then everyone would've hailed her as a genius and decided that New Zealand were being awfully petty by objecting to being spied on.

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

They didn’t have judges though. There was no time limit and no scoring system. The fight continued until one boxer either gave up or was incapacitated. A bit too barbaric to return but this shows how the sport has changed and originally wasn’t determined by the opinion of a judge or group of judges.

You're mostly right - but there were judges. Acted more like referees, mind, to make sure the 'rules' were being followed.