Transfer rumours

I'm baffled why people don't think we've looked abroad for a striker. Unless I'm mistaken we've paid fees for two players from abroad. Of course we've looked abroad. We just cannot afford one that is better than what we've got. If it was that easy they'd be 100's of strikers from abroad arriving at clubs in every transfer window.

Edited by Beetle
Typo

52 minutes ago, Beetle said:

I'm baffled why people don't think we've looked abroad for a striker. Unless I'm mistaken we've paid fees for two players from abroad. Of course we've looked abroad. We just cannot afford one that is better than what we've got. If it was that easy they'd be 100's of strikers from abroad arriving at clubs in every transfer window.

Because Warne himself said we didn’t. He could’ve just been referring to near the end of the window, but still, he did say it. 

5 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

This has been alluded to elsewhere so apologies if repeating other posters but the issue for me wasn't the lack of finances or unwillingness to pay stupid fees.

The issue was that we have and still are despite the above fishing in the same pool as other clubs with far greater financial muscle then ourselves so of course we will lose out.

That's the most disappointing thing for me as basically we were destined for failure choosing this root before we even started. I would have thought it extremely naive of anyone at the club not to believe that a player of any quality would not have other potential suitors. 

Until we get extra financial backing, start producing home grown strikers or start actually looking further afield then this tale of woe is going to be extended indefinitely which is self inflicted, and for me not acceptable. 

You are right and it's the drum I've been banging for a while. But I do have a bit of a hope that signing Goudmijn and Zetterstrom are signs we are shifting our thinking at the club. I'm also glad we didn't just go for anybody as long we knew there name and were above 6ft

9 hours ago, brady1993 said:

You are right and it's the drum I've been banging for a while. But I do have a bit of a hope that signing Goudmijn and Zetterstrom are signs we are shifting our thinking at the club. I'm also glad we didn't just go for anybody as long we knew there name and were above 6ft

We didn't sign anbody that we knew their name and were above 6ft 😉

12 hours ago, Beetle said:

Warne said himself we didn’t look abroad for a striker like we’d like to have. 

15 hours ago, Beetle said:

Cos PW said so in a recent interview…. Offered no explanation as to why that was the case..

3 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Warne said himself we didn’t look abroad for a striker like we’d like to have. 

The way I interpreted it was that we had a target in mind from the UK and it was quite a bit down the line, maybe a loan we had been waiting for, so no need to look abroad, but then the target changed his mind at the last minute, leaving it too late to look elsewhere.

Wether we did or didn't look abroad for a striker, clubs will still want a fee and they're not going to let any decent striker go on the cheap. Most foreign clubs know they can squeeze a bigger fee from an English club than from a domestic one. Or are people suggesting we just take a gamble on any foreign striker that's big and pacy.

If we did manage to find this elusive foreign high scoring striker, that every other club are looking for, we then have to come up with the money to buy them.

Once we've managed to do all this. We still need to get him registered to play for us and obtain a work permit. Which isn't always straight forward, especially since that referendum we had a few years ago, that stopped the free movement of workers into the UK.

59 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Wether we did or didn't look abroad for a striker, clubs will still want a fee and they're not going to let any decent striker go on the cheap. Most foreign clubs know they can squeeze a bigger fee from an English club than from a domestic one. Or are people suggesting we just take a gamble on any foreign striker that's big and pacy.

If we did manage to find this elusive foreign high scoring striker, that every other club are looking for, we then have to come up with the money to buy them.

Once we've managed to do all this. We still need to get him registered to play for us and obtain a work permit. Which isn't always straight forward, especially since that referendum we had a few years ago, that stopped the free movement of workers into the UK.

The benefits of looking abroad is that some leagues finish in November/ December leaving players either in the last season of their contract or out of contract come January. The Swedish league ends in November for example which we know we’re actively looking at. 

Them rules around Brexit are also relaxed and a club can even have a pass on a one player I think it is that doesn’t have to meet any criteria which I don’t think we’ve used on either of Kenzo or JWZ. 

I'm surprised at the despondency of some of our fans regarding the transfer window. In my opinion we have changed a league 1 squad to a genuine championship squad in the space of a couple of months, which in my opinion is a job well done.

Of course it would have been nice to bring in the 20 goal a season target man but now, going into the next few windows, we are in a position where we can concentrate our efforts, and funds, on finding that extra bit of quality in specific positions, and this is due to the foundation laid in this window.

I personally feel that the club have absolutely got maximum value from this window, and the fans should be appreciative that they now have the prospect of watching a competitive team, rather than a team playing and praying for fourth from bottom.

8 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think we need to be looking even further afield, like the far east for example

Given they can only tempt players over there with lucrative big money offers, there'll be less value for money in that market than even the UK one currently.

56 minutes ago, Loughborough Ram said:

I'm surprised at the despondency of some of our fans regarding the transfer window. In my opinion we have changed a league 1 squad to a genuine championship squad in the space of a couple of months, which in my opinion is a job well done.

Of course it would have been nice to bring in the 20 goal a season target man but now, going into the next few windows, we are in a position where we can concentrate our efforts, and funds, on finding that extra bit of quality in specific positions, and this is due to the foundation laid in this window.

I personally feel that the club have absolutely got maximum value from this window, and the fans should be appreciative that they now have the prospect of watching a competitive team, rather than a team playing and praying for fourth from bottom.

Haven't seen the despondency you describe, have seen our transfer business this summer being critiqued in exactly the same vein as matchday performances, individual players ratings etc 

Just because posters remark that we didn't get a striker in this window when Warne stated it was our intention to do so doesn't make them ingrates regards the remainder of the transfer window. 

I think it was pretty good.

Notwithstanding this it still requires mentioning that this is now the third transfer window when the club has stated it has gone after a striker in the final weeks of the window and not brought one in so there is definitely a pattern now which warrants further discussion.

1 hour ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think we need to be looking even further afield, like the far east for example

I've mentioned a couple of times on here as I watch the J league often about how we could very easily and cheaply enter that market. It's become a very mined oil well of talent especially this summer where it seems English teams are buying Japanese players outright instead of using the typical method of loaning the player first to see if they can settle and adjust to other side of the world. Yuki Ohashi only cost £300k for example.

We could find some good hardworking players that could fit Warne's style of play but I would doubt very much we could find a true no 9 that were looking for. Mao Hasoya (Kashiwa) has broken into the national team and is hot property. He will go for a few million pounds soon. Yuma Suzuki (Kashima) returned from Europe and would be my choice but I doubt he would come back to Europe to play. There are some really good Brazilians in the J League like Anderson Lopes (Yokohama) and Leo Ceara (Osaka) who would also be perfect but I've never seen them move to Europe except for Hulk to Porto years ago. 

20 hours ago, Beetle said:

If there’s not better than Collins or Washington then football is in a bad way.

3 hours ago, RamInSweden said:

The way I interpreted it was that we had a target in mind from the UK and it was quite a bit down the line, maybe a loan we had been waiting for, so no need to look abroad, but then the target changed his mind at the last minute, leaving it too late to look elsewhere.

I would expect us to look at players in every position in an ongoing basis as circumstances can change at any point - injuries, sales, missing out on targets...

I don't see any reason why we wouldn't at least have an analytical shortlist for every position.

40 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

If there’s not better than Collins or Washington then football is in a bad way.

Collins was derided left, right and centre at the beginning of last season. When he got injured many said that that was the season finished because we no longer had a striker. He went from being the early scapegoat to being the messiah. Just perhaps he can do something similar this season too?