Premier League the most exciting in the world?

Every time there are proposal to limit spending, redistribute wealth, introduce external governance etc, the PL and FA publicity machines go into overdrive. 

Message is this is the best league in the world and we spend so much to keep it that way so hands off!

Is it the best any more?

Our so called best teams are failing in the European competitions to the extent that Germany now has the extra spot in the Champions League. Financial management of teams ranges from incompetent to rule bending that borders on illegal.

VAR whilst of good intent is a time wasting joke the way we use it.

The football is full of diving, fake injuries and boring tactics. Our teams are stuffed full of foreign players of dubious quality and starving home grown players the opportunity to develop and enhance the national teams.

I'm also convinced that skill levels are poorer than they have been for years. Misplaced passes, bad headers, ridiculous shots way off target.

Might as well play fifa on a console. It looks and plays the same. Var is making it even worse so expect in the next fifa update. 🤣 To be honest fed up with the same few teams at the top. Glad Villa spoil the party though this season.

2 hours ago, FindernRam said:

Every time there are proposal to limit spending, redistribute wealth, introduce external governance etc, the PL and FA publicity machines go into overdrive. 

Message is this is the best league in the world and we spend so much to keep it that way so hands off!

Is it the best any more?

Our so called best teams are failing in the European competitions to the extent that Germany now has the extra spot in the Champions League. Financial management of teams ranges from incompetent to rule bending that borders on illegal.

VAR whilst of good intent is a time wasting joke the way we use it.

The football is full of diving, fake injuries and boring tactics. Our teams are stuffed full of foreign players of dubious quality and starving home grown players the opportunity to develop and enhance the national teams.

I'm also convinced that skill levels are poorer than they have been for years. Misplaced passes, bad headers, ridiculous shots way off target.

And yet it’s sold to virtually every country in the world.

When the original plans were announced for the European Super League, along with probably most football fans in this country,  I was delighted with the negative responses from the 'football family' (what an absolute joke that is) which brought pressure on the Big 6 to withdraw.

I have now completely changed my opinion and now reckon it would be the best thing that could happen for the game in this country. Remove Man City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool from the current PL and you wouldn't see overseas subscribers to SKY for dust, decimating their revenue. There would obviously be a period of uncertainty for many of those clubs left behind but examples of weekly wages of £20-30k in the Championship for quite average playrs are completely unsustainable - take away the current golden riches of the PL and hopefully some degree of sanity would return.

Probably will never happen though. 

27 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

When the original plans were announced for the European Super League, along with probably most football fans in this country,  I was delighted with the negative responses from the 'football family' (what an absolute joke that is) which brought pressure on the Big 6 to withdraw.

I have now completely changed my opinion and now reckon it would be the best thing that could happen for the game in this country. Remove Man City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool from the current PL and you wouldn't see overseas subscribers to SKY for dust, decimating their revenue. There would obviously be a period of uncertainty for many of those clubs left behind but examples of weekly wages of £20-30k in the Championship for quite average playrs are completely unsustainable - take away the current golden riches of the PL and hopefully some degree of sanity would return.

Probably will never happen though. 

I agree - let them go and break any ties so that they are cast adrift from the domestic leagues - no promotion or relegation between the super league and the domestic leagues - and if one of the big 6 starts to struggle and can't compete with the other super league teams, they can re-apply to join the domestic leagues from the bottom of the pyramid. Football should be about so much more than just pandering to the demands of the richest clubs.....

The Premier League is the best league in the world, due to having the best managers and coaches.

There was a time when every body was claiming the PL was the best in the world, but it really wasn’t.

La Liga was the best between 2009-15. That six year spell had 3 of the best 5 teams in Europe, while the likes of Sevilla, Valencia and Athletic Bilbao were better than the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd.

But as soon as Klopp and Pep came over, the standard increased to a point where genuine top class managers like Conte, Ancelotti and Emery were happy to join lesser clubs.

I wouldn’t take this season’s European results as proof of league standing. No way is Serie A or the Bundesliga of better quality. 

Some could even argue that the demands of the PL will only make it harder for teams in Europe due to the scheduling. 

You only have to look at Liverpool running out of gas. 

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

The Premier League is the best league in the world, due to having the best managers and coaches.

There was a time when every body was claiming the PL was the best in the world, but it really wasn’t.

La Liga was the best between 2009-15. That six year spell had 3 of the best 5 teams in Europe, while the likes of Sevilla, Valencia and Athletic Bilbao were better than the likes of Liverpool and Man Utd.

But as soon as Klopp and Pep came over, the standard increased to a point where genuine top class managers like Conte, Ancelotti and Emery were happy to join lesser clubs.

I wouldn’t take this season’s European results as proof of league standing. No way is Serie A or the Bundesliga of better quality. 

Some could even argue that the demands of the PL will only make it harder for teams in Europe due to the scheduling. 

You only have to look at Liverpool running out of gas. 

A league having the 'best' players, managers and coaches, doesn't necessarily make it the best in the world. Genuine competition and excitment are also needed, two things that are conspicuously absent in the PL.

3 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

A league having the 'best' players, managers and coaches, doesn't necessarily make it the best in the world. Genuine competition and excitment are also needed, two things that are conspicuously absent in the PL.

By genuine competition, I assume you refer to title winners. 

In the Bundesliga, Bayern have won the title 20 times in the last 30 years, with there streak of 12 consecutive titles coming to an end this year. Dortmund were 2nd for the majority of those seasons too.

In La Liga, there have only been 2 seasons in the last 20 which weren't won by either Barcelona or Real Madrid. Is that genuine competition?

Series A will have 5 different winners in 5 seasons, but that is on the back of Juventus winning it 9 times in a row. Inter are also 19 points clear with 4 games still to play. That doesn't sound like "genuine competition" either.

Man City have won the PL 5 times in the last 6 years and could add another to that this season. However, there was a spell of 4 winners in 5 seasons before that.

The PL is so competitive, a player who wasn't wanted by Arsenal has played almost every minute to help Leverkusen win the title. Villa bought a player off Leverkusen for £50m in the summer too. Liverpool poached one of Bayern's most promising players. Newcastle and Man Utd took star players from AC and Inter.

10 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

By genuine competition, I assume you refer to title winners. I

I mean that there should be the possibility that the title winners will come from outside a small cabal of self appointed 'big clubs'.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

I mean that there should be the possibility that the title winners will come from outside a small cabal of self appointed 'big clubs'.

Is it any different to other major European leagues? 

La Liga - only 5 different winners since 1984. Deportivo (1), Valencia (2), and Atletico (3)

Bundesliga- 7 different winners since 1983, and 8 since 1978

Serie A - 6 different winners since 1991, and 8 since 1976

PL - 5 different winners since 2012, 6 since 2003, 7 since 1994 and 12 since 1974.

Has anyone apart from Sky ever really called it the most exciting league though? I don’t think you can argue it’s the best in terms of quality but it’s never been exciting. I agree with g star as well VAR has made the viewing experience significantly worse

14 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Is it any different to other major European leagues? 

La Liga - only 5 different winners since 1984. Deportivo (1), Valencia (2), and Atletico (3)

Bundesliga- 7 different winners since 1983, and 8 since 1978

Serie A - 6 different winners since 1991, and 8 since 1976

PL - 5 different winners since 2012, 6 since 2003, 7 since 1994 and 12 since 1974.

No, not much different at all.     Quod erat demonstrandum

The.jeopardy seems to reduce over the years. A cataclysmic failure for one of the "big" clubs is finishing about 8th.

The genuine threat of relegation is confined to a handful of clubs.

It's all so predictable it doesn't capture the imagination unless you're fans of that particular club.