Retained List

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers 

RWB: Ward, Wilson, Nyambe 

LWB: Elder, Sibley

CB: Cashin, Nelson, Forsyth, Bradley, Rooney, Nyambe

CM: Thommo

Wing/Attack: NML, CBT, Barkhuizen, 

Striker: Washington, 

Think it’s clear a decision needs to be made on Rooney - I’d like to see him loaned out to a league 1 club as I think waiting behind Nelson and Nyambe for the RCB role will limit opportunity. I’d like another excellent CB in to add to the quality of Cash and Nelson. 

I think we need 4 new CMs with 2 in the style of Ebou and 2 in the style of Bird. I think we need someone like Ebou playing every single match for Warnes style to work. 

I’d like 2 wide/attackers if real quality to be pushing straight away for a starting spot. 

I’d like 2 strikers of championship quality with Barkhuizen and Wash used sparingly to support up top but also with the option of playing a front 3 so only 1 needed for some matches. 

I think a minimum of 10 players capable of stepping into the first team. A mixture of honest pros needing a fresh start somewhere from the championship and some bright young things (Kane etc) from league 1 could go a long way to plugging these gaps with a few real high quality prem loans to finish it off. 

I suspect Warne will want 12 as he’ll want 3 strikers in and probably  another LWB option. 

Id retain those I’ve put in the squad list above and release all others. Do I think Smith could do a job? Yeah. But he’s out of contract and could those resources be better used? I think so. 

Edited by IlsonDerby

2 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Lots of short memories here from the people wanting to release Fozzy. It’s barely a matter of weeks since his 90 minutes against Bolton did arguably as much as any other performance by any other player at any point in the season to get us promoted.

Sure, he’s getting on and may no longer be a starter in the Championship, but it takes more than eleven players to see out a season and I can’t see him letting us down.

I think it’s important to keep some of the experienced heads to continue the “culture” within the squad, Fozzy should be one. Probably someone who’d willingly accept a reduced role in the squad but as you rightly say can still come in and do a job if needed. 

51 minutes ago, angieram said:

Wildsmith told us at the Supporters' do that he hadn't been offered a contract, yet Radio Derby keep saying that he's turned the offer down.

One isn't telling the truth because both can't be right.

Playing utter semantics, and with a pinch of pedantry but maybe they can. Work with me.

Theory is:

Derby have been negotiating with Willdsmiths team, wages, bonuses, each different depending on league status. No cast iron contract offered right now, perhaps once agreed and league confirmed it gets drawn up and formally offered? So this makes Wildsmith is right, no contract offered.

In these negotiations, Wildsmiths team have either got a price in their minds, or a league in their minds, or a first team assurance in their minds, or another offer somewhere else in their minds and they have been giving it a hard "nope" to these informal talks unless something is offered that meets their price point. We'd be unlikely to be extorted given a) we aren't that flush and b) Vickers is sat right there and he is Warnes man. Wildsmith turning us down makes Radio Derby true.

Dunno ... maybe?

It'll be interesting to see how new and improved some contract offers are, Sibley and Thompson are no brainers, regardless of future; as the days of losing saleable youth players for nought has to end. Personal opinion I want to see them stay with us anyway, I can't help but like them both. The rest, as important as keeping a bedrock, a spine of a winning team together is, we mustn't rush to spend our increased budget retaining that squad. Especially if it then prevents us from strengthening elsewhere.

Next two weeks will be interesting. 

19 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

I suspect he wouldn’t feel comfortable telling you lot he’d turned one down to be fair 😂 

I think he’d want some guarantees about who starts next season as number 1. I think he’s earned it but we know Vickers is Warnes guy. 

Wildsmith the better keeper for me. Even with his rushes of blood to the head! 

I hope he stays.

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Wildsmith the better keeper for me. Even with his rushes of blood to the head! 

I hope he stays.

Retaining Wildsmith, unless there’s a clear upgrade out there for free, makes a lot of sense. He’s a good age, has had a good season winning the golden glove, knows the club, knows the staff, and has a good relationship with Nelson, Cashin, Bradley and co. 

We’d keep two solid keepers and most of the defence together, which has been so strong this season, then we could focus on strengthening midfield and attacking players.

It will be an interesting few weeks. Every single member of the squad has had an impact; had a match that was their moment (usually followed by long term injury). A number are too old or not quite good enough and so we can’t afford to be too sentimental whilst at the same time we need to ensure the culture at the club remains.

We will need a squad and there are players there that would be more than useful in making that squad up, allowing us then to add quality where it is desperately needed - up front and in midfield. I think we probably all have our favourites who we would like to see stick around. Anyone who leaves though goes with best wishes and a thank you. Once a Ram…

🐏

I think we've seen in the run in just how much having a squad that bond together has helped, and why getting the right characters in does matter - it was something Nigel Clough was also big on and it's no coincidence many of his signings formed the core of the squad long after he'd left. It's not the same situation now and the promotion means there's a lot of work to do, but I trust Warne to bring in good characters again.

Lets just not panic if we're not making box office signings all summer.

Based on what I have seen this season I would look to try and move on Washington, Fornah and Bradley even though they have contracts.   Fornah might get better, perhaps loan him out, but the other two have been on a downhill trajectory for a couple of years. Good character is not enough in the Champ. I would look to retain Collins though. One season. Still giving his all, keeps himself in good condition, chips in with important goals. A good back up but hopefully not even second choice No. 9 next season. God I hope we don’t go big for Michael Smith from Wednesday.

19 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Based on what I have seen this season I would look to try and move on Washington, Fornah and Bradley even though they have contracts.   Fornah might get better, perhaps loan him out, but the other two have been on a downhill trajectory for a couple of years. Good character is not enough in the Champ. I would look to retain Collins though. One season. Still giving his all, keeps himself in good condition, chips in with important goals. A good back up but hopefully not even second choice No. 9 next season. God I hope we don’t go big for Michael Smith from Wednesday.

Collins will be 34 in December and scored 3 goals in his last Championship season . Agree Smith is not the answer . To finish mid-table , we could do with 3 strikers that can get 10 goals each . They won’t come cheap . 

Who are the players that triggered an extension that got mentioned earlier this season but not named? Nelson, Sibley, Smith, Hourihane, Collins? We know Cashin and Mendez-Laing were, and Wildsmith turned down his.

4 minutes ago, Macintosh said:

Who are the players that triggered an extension that got mentioned earlier this season but not named? Nelson, Sibley, Smith, Hourihane, Collins? We know Cashin and Mendez-Laing were, and Wildsmith turned down his.

Don’t think any of them had extensions to “trigger”. Dont think we had the capability of putting them in our contracts at the time. 

What we did do with Fornah, Wilson and Washington is put a clause in for some kind of fee upon promotion with the up front fee being free. 

Cashin and NML just signed new extensions. Nelson has another year anyway. 

I wouldn't offer Thompson a deal, I like him but ultimately he has been a bit part League One sub, whose job was mainly running around a lot at tired legs, something he did very well. There is not enough Championship quality, I'd like to see him (for his own career) get a club where he can do 90 mins week in week out, perhaps a bottom half League One club would be that level. I think we need more, even from a sub.

I'd offer Collins a deal though, shown enough to at least potentially be a reasonable Championship bench option, if he wants that of course. I'd be concerned if he was starting game one of the new season though. 

I'd keep Forsyth for another year. With any luck he'd get a handful of minutes if we were fortunate enough to avoid injuries for the season, but we get a solid, level-headed pro about the place to stay in reserve, just in case. We can't afford too many luxuries so rather we focus our limited pot on getting some good CM's in and strikers in than buying decent cover for Cashin/Nelson.

33 minutes ago, Srg said:

Don’t think any of them had extensions to “trigger”. Dont think we had the capability of putting them in our contracts at the time. 

What we did do with Fornah, Wilson and Washington is put a clause in for some kind of fee upon promotion with the up front fee being free. 

Cashin and NML just signed new extensions. Nelson has another year anyway. 

11 January

Paul Warne says there are players within his Derby County squad who will trigger an extension to their contract if they pass a certain threshold of games.

The Rams head coach says a "few" are on course to extend their current deals ahead of next season with the club currently chasing promotion back to the Championship. 

Warne said: "A few of the lads have extensions anyway if they play so many games and some are on course for that. That is not something I need to concern myself with yet. 

I might be in the minority but I wouldn't be bothered if Wildsmith left. He's an okay keeper, probably better than Vickers but in the grand scheme of things most keepers are a much of a muchness at this level and there will be plenty available similar to Wildsmith. If you go back through the keepers we've had since Roos took over from Carson, none of them will live long in my memory. 

24 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

I might be in the minority but I wouldn't be bothered if Wildsmith left. He's an okay keeper, probably better than Vickers but in the grand scheme of things most keepers are a much of a muchness at this level and there will be plenty available similar to Wildsmith. If you go back through the keepers we've had since Roos took over from Carson, none of them will live long in my memory. 

I've got a feeling the defence either don't rate him or don't really gel with him.  It's just at times I've seen Cash, Nelson, Wilson at least really tear into him for quite minor errors - I know it's pro football and doesn't have to be nicey nicey but at times I've just wondered what Wildsmith must think.   I might be wrong and if i am fair enough but there's been a few occasions have made me wonder.  

1 hour ago, SillyBilly said:

I wouldn't offer Thompson a deal, I like him but ultimately he has been a bit part League One sub, whose job was mainly running around a lot at tired legs, something he did very well. There is not enough Championship quality, I'd like to see him (for his own career) get a club where he can do 90 mins week in week out, perhaps a bottom half League One club would be that level. I think we need more, even from a sub.

I'd offer Collins a deal though, shown enough to at least potentially be a reasonable Championship bench option, if he wants that of course. I'd be concerned if he was starting game one of the new season though. 

I'd keep Forsyth for another year. With any luck he'd get a handful of minutes if we were fortunate enough to avoid injuries for the season, but we get a solid, level-headed pro about the place to stay in reserve, just in case. We can't afford too many luxuries so rather we focus our limited pot on getting some good CM's in and strikers in than buying decent cover for Cashin/Nelson.

I disagree regarding Thommo. He didn't look out of place in the championship under Rooney. He's tough, has good technical skills and a good engine. I don't know if Warne's changed his opinion (he's been praising Thommo recently) but I'd be inclined to keep him.