Retained List

We have to remember that we can name 9 subs next season so we will likely have a bigger squad than we currently have, probably a squad of 25 plus a couple of youngsters.

Wildsmith - Keep

Forsyth - Keep on a 1yr deal

Sibley - Offer a deal, even if its just for compensation purposes

Thompson - See Sibley

Barkhuizen - Keep

Smith - Keep on a 1yr deal

Hourihane - Release

TJJ - Keep if he can prove fitness over the summer

Gayle - See TJJ

Waghorn - Release

Collins - Release

Personally think we should then look to loan Rooney & Brown out. Potentially loan out Fornah and/or Thompson (if he stays) but that would depend on incomings.

We have to try & keep Adams.

55 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

We have to remember that we can name 9 subs next season so we will likely have a bigger squad than we currently have, probably a squad of 25 plus a couple of youngsters.

Wildsmith - Keep

Thompson - See Sibley

Barkhuizen - Keep

Hourihane - Release

Gayle - See TJJ

Waghorn - Release

Collins - Release

Personally think we should then look to loan Rooney & Brown out. Potentially loan out Fornah and/or Thompson (if he stays) but that would depend on incomings.

I think all the forwards should go, perhaps with the exception of Gayle. You get the feeling TJJ is one of them players whose body just won't sustain the the rigours of football at this level unfortunately

8 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Lots of short memories here from the people wanting to release Fozzy. It’s barely a matter of weeks since his 90 minutes against Bolton did arguably as much as any other performance by any other player at any point in the season to get us promoted.

Sure, he’s getting on and may no longer be a starter in the Championship, but it takes more than eleven players to see out a season and I can’t see him letting us down.

I agree. his leadership & experience are vital for the scrap next season. he should get a one year deal if he wants it.

7 minutes ago, Simmo’s left foot said:

I wouldnt loan out Thompson, he is full of energy and a decent player. Good utility player, midlield or full back.

Full of energy, but does little creatively or defensively. Barely good enough for League One, let alone the Championship.

Sorry - just my opinion.

2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Wildsmith - Keep

Thompson - See Sibley

Barkhuizen - Keep

Hourihane - Release

Gayle - See TJJ

Waghorn - Release

Collins - Release

I'd rather keep Collo than Barkhuizen. Gayle and TJJ I agree both depend on their fitness. I do feel if TJJ can get fit he will be a real asset both in a 343 and 352.

Offer new contracts to

Wildsmith

Foz

Sibley

Smith

Thompson

Barkhuizen

Absolutely definitely must sign Adams.

Our midfield and attack need completely rebuilding, defence needs maybe one or two.

Id hope Brown is given the opportunity to be that 3rd choice striker behind two new players coming in.

Risky to release all the forward’s before we have signed their (any) replacements. Especially as it is the hardest position to recruit.

Suspect we will keep Collins and leave carrot dangling to TJJ and Gale for time while trying to get better* options.

*They are both quality, but too fragile for me, while Collo we know will be there for us.

5 minutes ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Risky to release all the forward’s before we have signed their (any) replacements. Especially as it is the hardest position to recruit.

Suspect we will keep Collins and leave carrot dangling to TJJ and Gale for time while trying to get better* options.

*They are both quality, but too fragile for me, while Collo we know will be there for us.

That’s a very good point, as much of a draw as we are given size, status, promotion and the removal of restrictions there’s still no guarantee we can secure all targets….be very interesting seeing the confirmed retained list (some time this week or next?) and then boarding the recruitment rollercoaster for the summer! 

Retain: Vickers, Nelson, Nyambe, Rooney, Bradley, Cashin, Fornah*, Ward, Wilson, Elder*, Mendez-Laing, Blackett-Taylor, Washington*, DBrown

*Try to loan or sell

New contracts: Wildsmith, Forsyth, Sibley, Thompson, DRobinson, Collins

Release or loan ending: Loach, Adams, Bird, Smith, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Gayle, Waghorn, John-Jules

Assuming we'll play a form of 3412 or 3421, that would mean we need the following: GK, LWB, CMx3, AM/Wx2, CFx2

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Retain: Vickers, Nelson, Nyambe, Rooney, Bradley, Cashin, Fornah*, Ward, Wilson, Elder*, Mendez-Laing, Blackett-Taylor, Washington*, DBrown

*Try to loan or sell

New contracts: Wildsmith, Forsyth, Sibley, Thompson, DRobinson, Collins

Release or loan ending: Loach, Adams, Bird, Smith, Hourihane, Barkhuizen, Gayle, Waghorn, John-Jules

Assuming we'll play a form of 3412 or 3421, that would mean we need the following: GK, LWB, CMx3, AM/Wx2, CFx2

A bit surprised you haven’t put an asterisk by Bradley? You have clearly seen more of him than me, but to me he seems shot. What have you seen that makes him useful in the Champ?

14 hours ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Lots of short memories here from the people wanting to release Fozzy. It’s barely a matter of weeks since his 90 minutes against Bolton did arguably as much as any other performance by any other player at any point in the season to get us promoted.

Sure, he’s getting on and may no longer be a starter in the Championship, but it takes more than eleven players to see out a season and I can’t see him letting us down.

Thing is with Fozzy is he has a football brain, is flexible enough to be LB, WB, CB and will perform whether it’s raining, a heat wave, Covid, He is boots on the ground that don’t leak. Oh yeah ..  he’s been there before and  if anyone is a RAM it’s Fozzy. I reckon he would be delighted to have another year and without an ego he’ll sit on a bench standing guard for the mighty Rams

I would personally 

Keep:

Wildsmith, Sibley, Forsyth, Thompson, Collins (and buy Adams)

Let Go

Barkhuizen, Gayle, Washington, Fornah, Waghorn, Hourihane, Smith, Elder

So the core of the team would look like

Wildsmith 

Nyambe    Nelson Cashin     Sibley

Adams

New                   New

NML                                    CBT/New

New

In summary I'd look to buy players to play 3 at the back or 4 at the back depending on opposition and injuries it's shown to be important to be able to win matches in different ways

To sign:

Left back

1 extra centre back (for 3 at the back)

2 box to box midfielders 

1 creative midfielder 

1 winger 

2 strikers

Edited by TheRamOfSwad

2 minutes ago, TheRamOfSwad said:

I would personally 

Keep:

Wildsmith, Sibley, Forsyth, Thompson, Collins (and buy Adams)

Let Go

Barkhuizen, Gayle, Washington, Fornah, Waghorn, Hourihane, Smith, Elder

So the core of the team would look like

Wildsmith 

Nyambe    Nelson Cashin     Sibley

Adams

New                   New

NML                                    CBT/New

New

In summary I'd look to buy players to play 3 at the back or 4 at the back depending on opposition and injuries it's shown to be important to be able to win matches in different ways

To sign:

Left back

1 extra centre back (for 3 at the back)

2 box to box midfielders 

1 creative midfielder 

1 winger 

2 strikers

3 on your 'let go' list are under contract.

The full list is Sibs, Wildsmith, JJ, Barks, Ebou, Thommo, Gayle, Hourihane, Smith, Collo, Fozzy, Waggy, Robinson and Loach

My thoughts are as follows:

Sibs, Offer him a good contract. If he turns it down, at least we'll get around £500K compo at a guess

Wildsmith, needs to improve his kicking but that, and his occasional rush of blood can be worked on. Keep

JJ, He's shown he could be excellent. Any offer should be a low basic offer with increments when fit but not picked, on the bench, subbed on, starting to take him up to a decent wage. Pay as you play in increments or no offer at all.

Barks, thanks and good luck in the future

Ebou, sign him up. If we can't afford him we need to find another MF biter we can afford

Thommo, See Sibs

Gayle, doubtful on this. Poor stats at Stoke in the Champ, are Champ defenders that bit better than L1 and too good for him or would he get better service from us? 35 in October so maybe pay as you play?

Hourihane, Full time coaching role at Villa. Thanks for your service Conor.

Smith, age a concern? Especially with Rooney back. Wages cut as cover?

Collo, Is L1 his level? Probably. Not sure he'd accept being cover.

Fozzy, his age going against him? Wage cut and used as cover.

Waggy, Thanks Waggy but we need more next season than you now have to offer.

Robinson young un for the future. Contract, either a loan or 21s and the occasional squad appearance. Cameos off the bench and develop his undoubted potential

Loach, does some coaching as well. If he's up to the odd SBC game if needed then a new deal. He's not a drain on the budget.

Bird has gone to Bristol City. I hope he has 44 good games next season 😉

Somebody mentioned Dajaune Brown in this thread, he has a contract up to the summer of 2026 already.

Edited by MadAmster

17 hours ago, i-Ram said:

A bit surprised you haven’t put an asterisk by Bradley? You have clearly seen more of him than me, but to me he seems shot. What have you seen that makes him useful in the Champ?

As much as it’s been easy to bash Bradley after his calamitous start, he’s been excellent for the past few months in both boxes (bar the silly sending off)

3 hours ago, MadAmster said:

The full list is Sibs, Wildsmith, JJ, Barks, Ebou, Thommo, Gayle, Hourihane, Smith, Collo, Fozzy, Waggy, Robinson and Loach

My thoughts are as follows:

Sibs, Offer him a good contract. If he turns it down, at least we'll get around £500K compo at a guess

Wildsmith, needs to improve his kicking but that, and his occasional rush of blood can be worked on. Keep

JJ, He's shown he could be excellent. Any offer should be a low basic offer with increments when fit but not picked, on the bench, subbed on, starting to take him up to a decent wage. Pay as you play in increments or no offer at all.

Barks, thanks and good luck in the future

Ebou, sign him up. If we can't afford him we need to find another MF biter we can afford

Thommo, See Sibs

Gayle, doubtful on this. Poor stats at Stoke in the Champ, are Champ defenders that bit better than L1 and too good for him or would he get better service from us? 35 in October so maybe pay as you play?

Hourihane, Full time coaching role at Villa. Thanks for your service Conor.

Smith, age a concern? Especially with Rooney back. Wages cut as cover?

Collo, Is L1 his level? Probably. Not sure he'd accept being cover.

Fozzy, his age going against him? Wage cut and used as cover.

Waggy, Thanks Waggy but we need more next season than you now have to offer.

Robinson young un for the future. Contract, either a loan or 21s and the occasional squad appearance. Cameos off the bench and develop his undoubted potential

Loach, does some coaching as well. If he's up to the odd SBC game if needed then a new deal. He's not a drain on the budget.

Bird has gone to Bristol City. I hope he has 44 good games next season 😉

Somebody mentioned Dajaune Brown in this thread, he has a contract up to the summer of 2026 already.

I mentioned Brown. I’d like to see him stay, kick on and get a chance to be considered 3rd choice behind the new strikers we bring in.

Might be a tall order for him but he’s got talent. Having the likes of Collins and Waghorn around will block his potential progress.